Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Know of where to buy tons of study cards?

Tags: Flash cards
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4319 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
14 February 2013 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know where I could buy 2,000 to 5,000 already made flash cards for French, German or Spanish? I
have the 1,000 card sets from Spark Notes for Spanish & German but I'm looking for plenty more than that to help
me attain a bigger vocabulary.

Also, where to find the most frequently used words for those languages? I'd like to start my focus on those words
initially (especially French & German) as I already speak plenty of Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 3
14 February 2013 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
I'm afraid nowhere because these products are usually meant for real beginners who are just excited to hear the magical number of 1000. I have looked for some, longer ago, even though for English (which does have the most ressources without any doubt) for my dad. And I failed.

What can you do:
1.Write your own paper flash cards
2.use an srs like Anki (basically flashcards but the cards come back to you in intervals based on your previous knowledge)
2a.Use decks made by other users
2b Make your own

Where to get most frequent words:
1.Frequency lists. Wikipedia got some, you can surely google more. Search the forum a bit to find some tips from people who use them.
2.Frequency dictionaries
3.Dictionaries or vocabulary textbooks aimed at learners:

French: Vocabulaire progressif (3 volumes, very good); Vocabulaire expliqué (quite a nice choice), Vocabulaire en 350 exercises (in three volumes by Hachette, first two are "illustré" I believe, the other oneis different but very interesting), Using French Vocabulary, The must know 4000 words, Vocabulary from the Practice Makes Perfect series and many others

German:Lernwortschatz Deutsch (a nice one, 4000 words. Comes in several language combinations, I use the German-Spanish one to learn both :-) ), German Vocabulary-Practice Makes Perfect, Vocabulary for learners of German-a comprehensive Thesaurus, Mastering German Vocabulary, Schaum's outline of German Vocabulary and others

Spanish:Vocabulario by Anayia (3 volumes, good choice), Viva el Vocabulario (2 volumes, nice choice), Must know 4000 Spanish words, Using Spanish Vocabulary, Uso interactivo del vocabulario, and there are surely others as well

Most of these ressources aim to give you the 4000-5000 words you are most likely to need.

I hope it helps, even though it is probably different answer than you were hoping for.
3 persons have voted this message useful

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5288 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 3
14 February 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Visual Education produces flash cards in many current and dead languages. A typical box will have 1,000 cards, but with 5 words on each card. Of course not every set is exactly the same, but you still end up with about 5,000 words. Visual Education says they use words with the greatest frequency based on information from institutions and various resources.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version