Diglot
Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 89 of 101
27 January 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
@kujichagulia: I agree. I think my problem is that if I don't have to commute to college I am kind of losing my reading time altogether because for some reason I keep putting it off even though I actually like what I am reading.

@kraemder: thanks a lot for your input. I think reading something I might have already read in English, and enjoyed might be a good idea. I remember, some time ago I used to "read" along to the first Harry Potter book while listening to the audiobook and I was surprised by how much I could understand back then. Maybe I should try it again sometime.

I am slowly getting back into anki by bribing myself to study in exchange for facebook game time. xD it seems to work if I refer just 5 words and then take a break. I still haven't added any new cards because I want to go over the texts I am reading first.

I have been reading a bit about vocab studying and I am thinking of either trying out Learning with Texts or the goldlist method. I personally I'd lean more towards the latter option mostly because it seems like less of a hassle. However, I am a bit unsure whether or not it can actually work for Japanese readings.

LWT on the other hand would combine reading with vocab study which I think is pretty awesome, plus, there's the option of exporting vocab to anki. However, I'd have to read on my laptop then which could be both good or bad. Maybe I could even try both methods? As in use goldlist for my core6000 vocab and use LWT to get vocab from stuff I'm reading.

For some odd reason I decided to revisit lang-8 three days ago. I haven't written anything on the site in almost a year. However, I managed to write a post everyday so far. It's kind of fun and I feel like I am not only working on my Japanese but also improving my English correcting skills. (After all, I'll be an English teacher soon. ^^) Last night I spent an hour looking up grammar points and trying to make my Japanese sound natural. An hour, for 17 sentences! My boyfriend was rather amused.
Somehow, I seem to make a lot typos which I don't seem to catch even when I'm rereading my posts. I also need to work on my conjunctions. I seem to reuse the same ones over and over again and sometimes I still don't know when to use which one and why. Does anyone have any tips for that?

Other then that, I noticed that when I read, I read pretty fast. While being on the tram on my way to university I managed to read 20 pages within 20 minutes. Odd. However, I think it might be due to the format. Since it's a cellphone novel there's a lot of space in between the lines which makes me less stress out about the huge "wall of text" I am about to read. In addition to that I think that reading on the iPad helps. What I mean is that I don't have to turn pages but rather just need to keep scrolling so it often feels like I just read one page when I have actually read four.

This post is already super long so I'll save my other observations about reading for when tadoku is over. Three more days to go :D

Edited by Hasi on 27 January 2014 at 10:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 90 of 101
01 February 2014 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 

January goals recap
- I want to read at least 500 pages for the tadoku contest by the end of the month (username:biheart)
- work through the first 13 chapter of Minna No Nihongo I
- watch something in Japanese every day
- finish reading Yotsuba&! (currently on Volume 8 out of 12)

Well, what can I say, I didn't manage to finish a lot of my Januray goals, actually just one of them. :X I managed to read a lot more then my 500 page goal (more on that below) but that's it. I think the fact that I made finishing the manga a goal made me not want to read it because it felt like a chore. :X I did manage to read through the grammar points of Minna no Nihongo but I haven't done any grammar exercises so I guess that doesn't count. I managed to read something everyday but I didn't watch a lot of things mainly because this drama season is kind of meh. So, yeah, better luck next month. xD

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 91 of 101
01 February 2014 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Tadoku Results
I managed to read 1760.33 pages which is more then 3 times what I had initially planned on reading. 1242 of those pages came from books, and I am very proud of myself for that. About my ranking? Not so much. I got 9th overall and 6th for Japanese. I got kicked out of the top 5 for Japanese because someone updated with 2500 pages on the last day. NOT COOL. I was huffing and puffing about it yesterday and it kind if made me not want to read for that day but hey, day is another day.

I am very proud that I managed to reach my goal of reading at least 10 pages of Japanese everyday and I managed to be consistent. I also seem to be more confident now when it comes to reading websites and things like that and not be too scared of walls of texts.

When I started on January 4th I was mostly reading graded readers and manga with furigana. Yotsuba comes to mind that doesn't have a lot of text and mostly pictures. However, over the course of the month I started reading "novels" and enjoying it, a lot. It helps that there are a lot of spaces in between sentences so it doesn't feel like it is that much text when it actually is.

My reading speed has improved so much. I remember a time when it took me half an hour to read one chapter of a manga and now I am breezing through 20 ("novel") pages within 20 minutes. Not only reading speed has increased but my comprehension as well. Particularly after "getting into" a novel and having read 50 pages or so it becomes so much easier. Even if I don't understand the kanji I can still guess the meaning or at least understand what is going on. I only very seldomly felt that I was "lost" and that I didn't understand what was going on. Mostly this feeling would be over within a page or so though.

One thing I noticed is that I would be able to remember reading for words if I encounter them more often. For example I'd see a kanji and be like:"Oh, I have seen this one, I know it's in my deck but I don't remember the reading." If I encounter it again a few pages later I somehow "magically" remember the reading. It's odd. Also, while reading I somehow never seem to translate in my head which is a really awesome feeling. What I do instead is read the words outloud in my head and if I stumble upon a word whose reading I don't know I just skip it.

Speaking of readings, I noticed that if I have a text with furigana I will read the furigana and not the kanji. I think it's similar to watching something with subtitles. If subs are there I will focus on them even if I can perfectly understand what is being said without using them. Therefore, I think reading texts without furigana is more useful. However, I obviously need to find a way to study kanji reading so I will try and get LWTs to work for me.

I would have days where I'd put off reading because I didn't feel like it. I think in a way having the contest both helped and hindered me in that aspect. What I mean by this is that sometimes because I felt like I had to read I didn't want to do it at all.
Having the oppurtunity to mix it up by reading different media really helped though so I thankfully never got stuck completely.

Tadoku Results Breakdown
- managed to read over 1700 pages
- increased reading speed
- increased comprehension
- reading without furigana is better than reading with furigana
- horizontal text is A LOT faster to read
- picking up meanings due to context
- started a habit of reading
- less afraid of "wall of text"

February Goals
- start working with LWT
- use LWT to learn new words through anki
- catch up on anki review
- do anki reviews daily
- do grammar exercises twice a week
- read 1000 pages

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4414 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 92 of 101
01 February 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Now that's what I call a good month! Congrats! I can't even believe you read so many
pages in just one month! Congrats again!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 93 of 101
01 February 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Hasi wrote:
Tadoku Results
I managed to read 1760.33 pages which is more then 3 times what I had initially planned
on reading. 1242 of those pages came from books, and I am very proud of myself for that.

Wow! I don't think I've read that much in a month in English! That's very impressive and
certainly something to be very proud of.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4966 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 94 of 101
02 February 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
すごい! I know what you mean about reading the furigana and not the kanji. I am reading ヒカルの碁 which has furigana for 99.9% of the kanji. I think they forgot to put the furigana for 今日 rather than leaving it out on purpose and the only other kanji they don't have it for are numbers. Even when the furigana is really small I am still squinting at the darn furigana lol. But furigana is still Japanese so I am ok with that. For now. Really impressed with your exceeding your goals that's inspirational for the rest of us.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 95 of 101
10 February 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
thanks a lot everyone :) I have to say I am a bit impressed myself.

Recently I haven't been doing a whole lot except for reading. I started working with LWT but recently I haven't felt like rereading and adding vocab. I know I should do it though because I feel like I need to find a way to study vocab "properly". So far I like LWT and I think it's not as difficult to use as everyone says, plus, exporting terms to anki and creating your own deck seems to be rather easy.

I really need to get into the habit of using LWT everyday and actually studying the terms with anki. I am sure it will be really useful and I am eager to learn. I just need to actually sit down and do it :K

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5898 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 96 of 101
11 February 2014 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Today I have finally used LWT properly. I have to say, this is an AWESOME tool.
I highly recommend it. When you actually sit down and use it, it is a great way to create your own anki decks.

In case people are interested in using LWT for Japanese here is my set up:
- remove spaces
- each character is a word

When I previously used LWT I used a space-inserter based on MeCab to insert spaces after everyword. However, this often lead to words being split because the parser wouldn't recognize it as a whole word. Therefore, I think the method I use is ore convenient because you can just tell the programm: the next 7 characters are a word.
I use jisho as my main dictionary but I also have rikaichan open while reading. Sadly, because the text thinks every character is a word rikaichan sometimes doesn't work as well as I want to. However, I have noticed that rikaichan sometimes recognizes words and grammar structurs that jisho doesn't so I think it's very convenient.

I used this guide to create an anki deck based on the terms I learned. It is really fast and it works well. (Please note that when importing the deck that comes with the sortware into anki2 use the LWT.apkg file. Also: you don't have to rename the deck template because it will already be named LWT-Note-Type.)
Apparently you can also use LWT with texts that have audio files. I haven't tried it out though.

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version