Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 101
02 March 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I have been making good progress with Heisig and I reached frame 748 today :)
Thanks to using the Lazy Kanji system I have a very high retention rate of 97%. However, today I had a lot of old
kanji that I had to review and I have noticed that the ones that I have written out before stick more than the
others. I will certainly keep it up, even if it means that I cannot really review on the go because I need a pen and
paper ready. (It is easier for me to see where I made a mistake when I actually see it in front of me, rather than
just writing kanji in the palm of my hand.)

Two days ago I also did a little digging and took a brief tour to iKnow. I used to have an account there and I
remember when the core2000 seemed really tough for me. I never really studied a whole lot there though. Well,
maybe I should have. I took the placement test, end I failed big time. well, I got like half of the words currently
which is BAD. So I got placed in the core2000.

Over the past two days I did a bit of research to see whether or not iKnow would be right for me. I really like the
system and I like that it keeps track of everything for me. However, knowing me, I don't want to waste money if I
won't end up using the website too much, and with the semester starting next week, I am a bit worried. Like I
said, I do like iKnow and I also like memrise, but I see flaws with both of them. For memrise, I HATE the fact that
it seems like it is only possible to study vocab in isolation aka no sentences. Whereas, from what I read, once you
know or "master" a word at iKnow it is mastered ALWAYS, so no matter which course you take. That can be both
good and bad.

So in the end what I have decided to do is to download the Core 2k/6k Optimized Deck. I have to admit I
was a bit worried whether or not it would be good to do RTK and another vocab deck at the same time, but with
reading Yotsuba (more on that later) I am becoming more and more eager to learn vocab as well, Plus, this way I
would see some certain kanji more often, therefore reinforcing their meaning. At least that's what I am hoping
for. I will take it slow until I am done with RTK though.

So Yotsuba, I love it! I really do, and I love that I seemingly breeze through pages without a lot of trouble. I
understand most of the words and I can always understand what it is going on. That makes me hopeful, that after
finishing RTK, doing more Core and reading more I will be able to tackle the manga I bought in Japan. (Oh, how I
miss Book Off.) I tried reading Sailor Moon before but I tired of it soon because there was just too much text and
my reading speed at the time was really slow. So I am hoping to be able to read Sailor Moon by my birthday
(August 19th) without getting super frustrated. I know it is technically possible but I know that I have A LOT to do
this semester so I rather have smaller goals than end up getting disappointed and frustrated.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5768 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 18 of 101
02 March 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
I love Yotsuba too! It has to be by far the easiest manga for learners to tackle, with the added bonus that it is a really enjoyable read too. Whenever people complain they can't read real Japanese I always tell them to try Yotsuba, to the point that I worry they might just think I'm a bit crazy...

Have you ever watched the anime Azumanga Daioh? It's based on the manga written by the same person who wrote Yotsuba. If Yotsuba is the easiest manga for learners, then Azumanga Daioh has to be the easiest TV show (the manga for Azumanga Daioh is actually a lot tougher to read though).

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 19 of 101
03 March 2013 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
I have to admit that, as I mentioned already, there was a time when even Yotsuba was too hard for me. However,
that was probably because reading might be the weakest out of all my skills due to my lack of kanji and vocab.
Which is why I am trying to change that.

I haven't watched it, but then again I am not really an anime fan. If it is as funny as Yotsuba though I will have to
give it a try. thank you for the suggestion. :)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6406 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 20 of 101
03 March 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
You can continue to review decks on iKnow even after they are mastered. You just go into the completed courses section and check off the ones you want to review. The review button is under the regular "recommended next" course. You can also try "brain speed" which might be enough of a review.

I find that I usually remember most of the words I've mastered anyway and words come up in later cards as well and that can also reinforce them. Also, if you read or do other activities on the side, you will notice words that you learned and that will help you to remember them.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 21 of 101
03 March 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
You can continue to review decks on iKnow even after they are mastered. You just go into
the completed courses section and check off the ones you want to review. The review button is under the regular
"recommended next" course. You can also try "brain speed" which might be enough of a review.

I find that I usually remember most of the words I've mastered anyway and words come up in later cards as well
and that can also reinforce them. Also, if you read or do other activities on the side, you will notice words that
you learned and that will help you to remember them.

Thanks a lot for the input. I didn't know that. What I was wondering is: can I review ALL the cards at once, i.e.
what I have studied up until now, or is it only possible to review a section at a time?

I am just a bit worried about spending money and then it not being what I initially thought it would be. I do really
like the calendar function though, and the fact that you can have weekly goals and things like that.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6406 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 22 of 101
03 March 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Yes, you can review all the cards from all the completed courses at once if you want. You just check off for review on as many of the completed courses as you want to include. Those are the cards that will come up when you click that button I mentioned (ie all cards for all the courses you have checked off). It is also possible to review just one course by going to the completed courses page and clicking on the course you want to review.

I have all my courses checked off for review, but I haven't done much reviewing lately because I'm trying to cram as much new vocabulary into my head as possible.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 23 of 101
03 March 2013 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
ah, I see. Interesting. Thank you so much for the information. If that is the case I might have to really think about
getting an account. But I think I would rather wait until the end of the semester before getting one because that way
I will have more time to study.

Today I will spend a good deal finally fixing my RTK deck. I am combining two premade ones, but inputting the
German keyword and merging the decks is a lot more time consuming than I though. I want to be done by tomorrow
though, so I will only have to add stories which should minimize my anki time to just the daily reviews which means
about an hour a day. Seeing as I have a 3 hour commute each day I should be able to finish my review on the train.
:)

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 24 of 101
03 March 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I finally fixed my dig and did a bit of studying with my core deck.
core was HORRIBLE today, mostly because it tried to test me on dates, which is something I always avoided and
skimmed when we briefly talked about it in class. I think the fact that we only ever learn the date once in class for
one session would go and bite me in the butt one day. Well, today was the day, and I have to say it is good because
this way I am forced to learn them.

Dates and telling the time are the things I hate most aka, the things I should be comfortable with but I am not. It
really is embarrassing to admit that though, after all, I have taken almost 3 years of classes. >.<

Today I want to read at least one more chapter of Yotsuba. I am currently on volume 3 and I am planning on
finishing all by the end of the month. Seeing as I could read more than an entire volume within a day without too
much effort I think it is very much possible.

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version