kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4132 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 25 of 101
04 March 2013 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Just stopping by to say i read your log in return and good job with rtk so far!
1 person has voted this message useful

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5903 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 26 of 101
04 March 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
thank you for reading my log. :)

I am currently in the middle of reading Yotsuba and I have made two observations:
1. I still suck at reading katakana. I am super slow and for some I really have trouble knowing which one is which.
It has gotten a lot better though but onomatopoeia and things like that still take me forever to read because I
have no context to guess what the katakana I cannot read mean. *cough*
2. I am starting to recognize more kanji and I am actually able to go from kanji back to keyword. :o I don't think
that will work for all of the ones I have encountered so far but it seems like today is a pretty good day.

speaking of RTK, it seems like the kanji I added recently are coming up quite a bit in the reviews whereas I seem
to remember that the same wasn't the case for the kanji I learned earlier. Seeing as I am scatterbrained I cannot
really recall for sure whether I just marked earlier kanji as easy a lot more, or if I saw them as often but just
cannot remember.

I have also noticed that for some of the kanji the story seems to stick really well, which means that as soon as I
so much as glance at the card I know the story and the keyword. However, I still feel unsure about going from
keyword to kanji because I think I'd still fail most of them. :X I do think that over time the story will stick and later
on fad away, or that through sheer repetition by writing them the keyword will start to stick eventually, even
without the story.

Core has been going okish. Even though I had a retention rate of 87% today it feels like I am failing a lot, or
maybe it is because I am failing certain words over and over again. 上げる, I am looking at you! Which is really
odd because this is actually a word I see quite a bit when reading blogs. I think the fact that my deck is sorted
and therefore words with the same kanji but different readings are presented next to each other, makes me mix
them up a lot more. I do think it is goof though because at least that way I am more aware of how many readings
a certain kanji has. Even though it is super frustrating and will probably be even more frustrating later one.

also, I have a question about anki: the deck I am using as the audio of the sentence as the answer. Is there a way
to replay the audio in the dektop version? there is a play button for the audio on my iPhone app which allows me
to replay is, but it seems to be missing from the regular one.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6407 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 27 of 101
04 March 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
If you are using the latest version of Anki (desktop version) there is a button on the lower right side that says "more." Click on that and you will see various options including "replay audio." The old version had a button near the top, I think, but I'm guessing that you don't have that version because it would be hard to miss.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5903 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 28 of 101
05 March 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I didn't even see the button there. thank you for letting me know :)
I am using the replay function quite a bit now because I think it is good for shadowing.

I really like core so far, particularly the audio files. I think they are helpful because the readings of certain words
stick easier after I have to review them a few times, or rather, after I am exposed to the audio a couple of times. I
think without it I wouldn't get as much out of the whole things. However, I think that doing 30 new words might
be a bit too much. Particularly with RTK reviews increasing, I think it will take me too long to review, even though
reviewing core is a lot faster than RTK. I am thinking of adding maybe 10 or 15 per day. Initially I wanted to stop
adding words completely but I think cutting down on the words instead will be more useful seeing as I will at
least at a few new words each day.

What I think is a bit odd is that right now, reading is the thing I do most. I never thought that would be the case
because I used to watch dramas and shows for hours on end. However, the Japanese TV site I linked a few posts
back doesn't seem to working for all channels anymore and the dramas I currently have on my computer are kind
of boring. I am watching Rebound which is ok, but with all the cakes that are everywhere I sometimes don't feel
like watching it because it makes me hungry. I need to watch a really great and engaging show. However, those
seem to be hard to come by these days. I am watching Saikou no Rikon though, which I really enjoy but Eita is
talking rapid fire, so I really have trouble keeping up, with subs, so I don't know how I'd do without them.

If anyone knows any good underrated dramas, let me know :) I seem to have watched, or at least started, most of
the popular ones and I really like discovering hidden gems that are forgotten due to 56544654 Johnny's dramas
airing each season. (I am not saying some of those aren't awesome though. Hanadan ♥)

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5903 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 29 of 101
05 March 2013 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so I have to admit something: yesterday while doing my usual reviews and reading a bit I came up with this
crazy idea to read the blog of one of my favorite AKB girls, namely Oshima Yuko. I know, I know, AKB again, but
let me explain: There was a time when she was my favorite girl, and I wanted to read a blog because I thought
she was awesome. I used Rikaichan because I didn't really no any kanji, and even with Rikaichan I wasn't really
able to understand what she was writing about most of the time.

It was frustrating and I hated it. I really tried hard but it took me forever to read just one post.
Which is one of the reasons I like reading Misato's posts because they are rather easy and she usually writes
about the same things and the entries aren't too long.

Fast-forward to yesterday:
I thought I'd check out Yuko's blog and guess what? I could understand what was going on, and I could recognize
a lot of kanji I had studied with RTK.

The reason why I am telling you this is because I came up with this insane idea to read ALL of her entries within a
year. You might thinks, wow, a year is a long time, but the thins is: there are currently over 3000 entries. Yep, so,
that alongside Yotsuba, will be me extended reading for a while.

Whereas Yotsuba, as well as other manga, will hopefully help me with kanji readings, I will be reading Yuko's blog
mostly for getting more familiar with the kanji I have learned so far, while hopefully picking up a few readings in
the mean time. I am also reading out loud while reading Yuko's blog (does mumbling count?) so I hope that will
help a bit as well.

So, yes, I am insane. >.<

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5903 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 30 of 101
08 March 2013 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
I caught a cold, on my first day back from class. Which sucks, because I will for example start coughing
uncontrollably without being able to stop and I also don't sleep as well as I would like.

However, there is also something positive to the whole things. I think the cold might be the reason why I have
been waking up an hour or so before my alarm. Usually, I set my alarm so that I can take a shower and get ready
so for about an hour before I need to leave. However, seeing as I am up earlier now I am able to get quite a bit of
reviews done before I board the train. Yesterday, I was even able to finish all of my reviews. :)

I also have a 3 hour commute on the train + another 40 minutes in the tram on days I have classes. I am usually
able to get quite a bit of studying done there. So far I have been reading blogs, mangas and listening to
Japanesepod. That way I am done with all my Japanese "work" before I get home. Which is really nice. Today we
will get the instructions for our first project, which will teach us how a CPU works.
(I am an English and Computer Science major who is studying to become a teacher. I am more or less done with
my English degree though, so this semester I will only take Computer Science and methodology classes.)

From what I heard from other students, the course I am taking this semester are rather demanding, which is why
I need to come up with a system to not only manage to get all of my class work done, but also fit a bit of
Japanese into my schedule. What I have noticed so far is that it is really true that you cannot really say that you
don't have time to do certain things. For me at least, I spend so much useless time on the interwebs relaxing and
just browsing that I could easily spend to get some work done. I really want to work on developing good study
habits which will not only help me with my Japanese but with my major as well.

Current project status:

RTK: frame 912/2024
Yotsuba&!: chapter 22/82
Yuko's blog: entry 58/3005

Edited by Hasi on 08 March 2013 at 8:50am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6407 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 31 of 101
08 March 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
I just thought I'd let you know that some new jouyou kanji came after the RTK books were published, so Heisig made a special supplement to include those. Even if you don't plan to do RTK3, you should probably do those at least.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5903 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 32 of 101
08 March 2013 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Thank you, I actually downloaded the German supplement for those :)
I am planning to add those, as well as the 200-something from RTK3 that are included in the JALUP deck to my own
deck once I am done with the first book. However, my main priority right now is to finish RTK1. I think the reason
why I am not including those in my list is because I have this goal of finishing RTK1 within two months (currently on
day 25) and the rest will follow eventually. I hope, that once I know all of those kanji (minus the ~170 that I deleted)
the rest will be easier.

Does RTK3 introduce new primitives as well? there currently isn't a German version available, yet, so I haven't really
looked into it a whole lot. The good thing about the supplement is that, as far as I know, it is only made up of
primitives that you have already encountered beforehand.

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version