Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 41 of 101
30 March 2013 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I received the Easter present I had ordered for myself: three magazines from Japan. It was so awesome
to see them lying there in my room and it had me really motivated to study my kanji. While I did study
throughout the day yesterday it didn't feel to bad. I ended up studying 110 kanji and I did all my usual daily
Japanese things, watched a few shows, knitted and still finished everything by 8 am.

Mind you, using the lazy kanji deck really helps a lot because I do have hints around. Being almost done I do
notice that I probably would have had better result doing the "regular" RTK way, however, I know me, I would
have burned out in no time. I do think that with looking up kanji in context and studying more vocab I will
eventually get them to stick more. It really does help if you have seen the kanji before, either in a different anki
deck or "in the wild". What I do notice is that I seem to give up pretty quickly and look up the kanji if I cannot
instantly recall the kanji upon seeing it when I read or watch something. I do think that will get better though.

I read a bit about the "Learning with Texts" tool and it does seem to be right up my ally. I do think that knowing
that you have seen the kanji before well help you recall it better, or at least make you so frustrated that it
eventually has to stick. (撮影 is one of those words I see over and over again and I just cannot seem to remember
the reading. )

I would also like to talk about an epiphany I had last night: I was browsing through one of my magazines and
came across an article by one of the celebrities that I like and I read it. Well, half a page of it, but still. I read it, I
could understand quite a bit even though comprehension was a bit difficult at times because I was tired but still, I
just started reading and understood. This might not seem as amazing, but I remember I time when I was looking
at the magazines I had bought and could only make out words like 今日. Even last summer, when I was in Japan I
could only understand small Q&As that where 2-3 lines. Mind you, at that time, I wouldn't have "dared" to look at
a page sized article because it just seemed too difficult.

90 more kanji to go and I am done, I cannot believe it *_* I will finish the book today and then start slowly
working on the supplement + maybe a few kanji from RTK3. Reviews will be awful the next few days but I think I
can handle it. After all, it is 8:30 am and I am done with my RTK reviews for today (250).

I do have a question for fellow RTKers: how did you go about readings? I have noticed that reading manga with
furigana isn't too good for my eyes because the characters are really small, particularly if I use a hardcopy of the
book.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 42 of 101
01 April 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I changed the layout of my RTK to go from Kanji to meaning. I do have the story on the front side as well but I don't
look at it unless I have to. doing this has shown me that it is a lot more difficult for me to go this way rather than
story > kanji and it also makes me train coming up with the meaning by myself seeing as this is what I have to do
when reading. Seeing as even mature cards are still sometimes difficult for me to see them in context.

I have finished RTK two days ago and I have started to expose myself more to native material. I still really want to
read manga but it is really hard to read manga with furigana because the characters are so small. I think I will read a
few of the graded reader texts because they have larger furigana.

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4131 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 43 of 101
05 April 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
For what it's worth, I too gave up trying to make RTK stick. Now I just learn how they
look + stroke order + say the meaning over again and hope anki does the rest. I often see
kanji I thought I'd learnt such as 古い and couldn't recognize it in a sentence. It was
only after reading it in context that it finally stuck and I can now recall it from
nowhere and type it up here. I downloaded a few rtk sentence decks and have high hopes
for those along with branching out into first native material using the furigana injector
extension on chrome.

Oh and congrats on finishing RTK!!!!!!

Edited by kixi on 05 April 2013 at 8:18am

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 44 of 101
05 April 2013 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
It seems that not having them stick right away is a normal phenomenon with RTK. This seems to be a common
problem. I did notice that it is mostly because I was missing the mental hook, aka my story wasn't too good,
which is why I am reviewing them from kanji to keyword now. I do notice that the stories seem to stick better
now, that I have reviewed that way. I know, the stories aren't supposed to stick forever, but I think that they will
eventually disappear with time.

Yesterday marks the first day I missed doing all of my reviews. I was hanging out with friends and by the time I
thought about finishing up the reviews it was past midnight. I feel awful, but I am trying not to beat myself up
about it. I have 330 reviews due all together and I really need to get it done today. I can do it. :)

I also downloaded a few visual novels from my iphone and really like them. I opted for easy romance ones and I
do notice that I can follow the plot quit well. So far I am planning on trying out the free versions for a few games
before buying an add on.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4633 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 45 of 101
05 April 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Hasi wrote:
Yesterday marks the first day I missed doing all of my reviews. I was hanging out with friends and by the time I
thought about finishing up the reviews it was past midnight. I feel awful, but I am trying not to beat myself up
about it. I have 330 reviews due all together and I really need to get it done today. I can do it. :)

Terrible friends! You need to dump them right away! :)

330 reviews? Do you not have a daily limit set? I use the default 100 cards/day. If I saw more than that I would go out of my mind.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 46 of 101
06 April 2013 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Hasi wrote:
I do have a question for fellow RTKers: how did you go about
readings

So far, I've learnt vocabulary rather than readings.

I did, however, notice that 電 has only one reading (デン) and that set me wondering
whether there are other kanji with only one reading. I grabbed a copy of KANJIDIC,
scribbled some ruby and found a list of a few hundred kanji that have only one reading.

That's too much to memorise (at least before I sit the N4 in the summer). So I've
settled for noting any single-reading kanji that I come across in words that I need
right now.

It's not much of a short-cut, but it'll have to do for now.

HopeTea
Japan
Joined 4057 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 47 of 101
06 April 2013 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Hi! I just read your log!

This is something you said several posts back, but I wanted to comment on the TV shows vs. dramas thing. I went through the exact same process. I started watching dramas (and movies as well) in Japanese, but I gradually shifted more towards TV shows. For me I think a lot of it was related to my level advancing to the point that I realized a lot of them were kinda boring. Especially lately, there just aren't many great dramas out there anymore. I try and watch many of the new ones that come out, but the level is relatively low, especially if you've seen a lot of American/British series. If you're interested I could try and put together a list of some of the dramas I saw in the past and really liked. :)

But I also think it's fine to go on to TV shows. My Japanese isn't great, but I attribute most of what I know to my love of JTV! :)

Great job on your progress with RTK! I tried it several years back, but I was one of the quitters. Something about learning them attached to English kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, as I wasn't living in Japan at the time and studied only sporadically, I never really nailed them down. Exposure is such an important factor. Without that, kanji will leave your brain like a flock of migrating birds.

Keep up the good work! :)

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5902 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 

Message 48 of 101
07 April 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Hasi wrote:
Yesterday marks the first day I missed doing all of my reviews. I was hanging
out with friends and by the time I

Terrible friends! You need to dump them right away! :)

330 reviews? Do you not have a daily limit set? I use the default 100 cards/day. If I saw more than that I would go
out of my mind.

that was 330 reviews for both RTK and Core. While it is kind of demotivating to see all the reviews I have due, I'd
rather do that and really know how much I still have left to do. Plus, with time boxing it usually works out quite well
:)

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version