Diglot
United States
Joined 4959 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 74 of 163
04 December 2013 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
The Danish subtitles from the first three episodes of Matador provided me with material for 972 new Anki flash cards, which took me two days to make. I'm using my Anki iPhone app for the first time and it works very well. There are a lot of irregular Danish verb conjugations to memorize and nouns together with plurals and gender to learn, so I've got lots of work to do. Not to mention prepositional objects and idiomatic expressions.

I've always got my phone with me, so it's nice to be able to go through my cards whenever I get a spare minute and not have to wait until I get home. I must confess, though, I have mixed feelings about Anki. It helped me a lot with German, but after about two years I reached a point where it wore me out and I just had to stop. It worked for sure and I learned a lot of vocabulary, but I came to think of it as a malevolent parasite monkey that I dutifully allowed to leap on my back every day. I've had a break from it for about two years now, so we'll see how long I can hold out this time. The la-la-la factor of watching movies seems to be a good counterpoint to the disciplined grind of the flash cards.

In a recent fit of giddiness, I ordered a book containing the Norwegian manuscript of the entire first three seasons of Dag. It came yesterday and, as I looked through it, the thought occurred to me that I was holding the linguistic equivalent of a blasting cap. I knew that if I allowed myself to play with it, that is, delve into Norwegian at this formative stage of my Danish learning, it would likely blow up in my face and leave me with a fuddled, half-baked understanding of both languages and competence in neither. So, to avoid ending up speaking a mongrelized, confused version of "Scandinavian" (which folks here on the forum have advised against doing), I think I'll leave this book on the shelf until I've got a firm grip on Danish.

Edited by AlOlaf on 04 December 2013 at 11:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4168 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 75 of 163
05 December 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Hej!

Just read through your log! That's some great work you've been doing the past year.
I was wondering, would you be interested in joining a group conversation (only speaking
in your TL) on Skype soon?

Hej då!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 76 of 163
05 December 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
Hi Montmorency,

How do you make parallel texts?

I wrote about it elsewhere, but here is the home page:

Aglona Reader

I won't deny that it's a time-consuming process, but you learn a lot in the process, so
I do not think that it is time wasted.

No translation can ever be "perfect", but nevertheless, I think they can be extremely
helpful.

[My original reply was much longer, but I accidentally deleted it all! - perhaps a
shorter one is better, anyway].

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4959 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 77 of 163
05 December 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
@Kez: Hej! Wow, thanks. I'd love to have an opportunity to try to speak Danish on Skype. Let me know if it comes together. Tak!

Vi ses!

@montmorency: I didn't know there was software like that. It looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4959 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 78 of 163
09 December 2013 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
This week I finished making repeat-after-the-speaker recordings from a course called Beginner’s Danish. It wasn’t very hard because the audio already had pauses; I just needed to make them the right length and double them. After jabbering along with these from start to finish a couple of times, I decided to do the same with the recordings I made from Dänisch ohne Mühe. That took longer than I thought it would (12 hours), partly because I had to slow the recordings down towards the end and partly because I stopped to play guitar a bunch of times.

I also looked up new words from the Danish subtitles of the fourth episode of Matador and put them into Anki. Then I went back and watched the episode again with Danish subtitles and it was very satisfying to be able to understand it all.

Edited by AlOlaf on 09 December 2013 at 6:23am

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4168 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 79 of 163
09 December 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Ah you play guitar! Ever thought about playing Danish songs and sing them in Danish as a
way of "studying"? I once covered a Swedish song and I had great fund doing it :)

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4959 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 80 of 163
09 December 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Several forum members have recommended singing in one's target language. I can still remember the lyrics to "Muß i denn" and "Du, du liegst mir im Herzen", which I last sang in high school German class, so I guess it works. Now if only I knew some Danish songs.

You might get a kick out of this: Baby Love

Edited by AlOlaf on 09 December 2013 at 10:44pm

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version