Triglot
Finland
Joined 4517 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 49 of 52
25 April 2013 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Maybe it's a bit unrelated but does anyone know if Krashen knows about L-R or not? I feel like L-R is a way to bring
the native material to i+1 level by knowing the material beforehand and having a parallel text.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 52
25 April 2013 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
sehiralti wrote:
Maybe it's a bit unrelated but does anyone know if Krashen knows about L-R or not? I feel like L-R is a way to bring the native material to i+1 level by knowing the material beforehand and having a parallel text.

At least for me, it doesn't seem to matter why a text is comprehensible, especially if I'm willing to repeat it, or to get de facto repetition through an enormous quantity of input.

So for me, the major trick is to get some sort of temporary comprehension boost. L/R works, as does reading books I know well in English, or reading graphic novels, or watching TV. The latter two, of course, come with images that make them much easier to understand from context.

Once I have a temporary comprehension boost, I can then use sheer exposure to turn it into a permanent gain. This is a fairly pleasant and painless process: All I need to do is read and watch and pay active attention.

Of course, this isn't the whole story. But everything else I do builds on this base.

sehiralti
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4517 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 51 of 52
25 April 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

Once I have a temporary comprehension boost, I can then use sheer exposure to turn it into a permanent gain. This
is a fairly pleasant and painless process: All I need to do is read and watch and pay active attention.

Exactly. That's my experience now. And I would be curious to know if Krashen has any comments on this. He always
talks about i+1 material in a sequential way, but I feel like the other ways of "lowering" the i+1 to our level also
works and can be much more enjoyable.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 52 of 52
25 April 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I went searching to see what had been discussed about comprehensible input on HTLAL in the past. Here are a few Krashen-