145 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7016 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 81 of 145
28 January 2014 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
well, I just finished reading through Matthew in Greek (looking up stuff from time to
time).

I also started reading Jonah in Hebrew. It was very slow going. Trying to get those high
frequency words to stick, while also being burdened with the words I've never seen is
just too much. I got about 6 verses in over 3 days, I decided to go through a grammar
first to get sentences that are full of the words that I have listed already. So far the
grammar is going quickly.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7016 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 82 of 145
29 January 2014 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
The main book I've been using for Hebrew is very "programmatic". Every chapter starts
with a phrase (with some new twist of grammar) and then they break the phrase down piece
by piece. I went through several chapters before, about 1 lesson a day, but at some
point I just hit a block from all the vocab.

So, I goldlisted those words off and on when I was doing Cebuano. Now in two days I've
made it through about chapter 15 (of 50). I had to look up words in the back (as
expected) only 1 time. (too bad they don't put "new" vocab there in the chapter). I
noticed that part of the assignments from that point was to translate Genesis 22. Using
a reader's bible and a literal translation I worked through about 16 verses in an hour.
Seems like it's all being retained.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7016 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 83 of 145
31 January 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Well, after doing some more exercises in that grammar with the aid of an NASV, I got
tired of flipping all over the place to complete a lesson. I also realized that using a
"bilingual text" was my main tool, so I decided to put the grammar down and just read.
I think this is a good choice so far.

As I think I said before, I ignored grammar points that depended on vowel points, since
it's contextual anyway, but discovered the pointing for a feminine verb from just this
reading excercise. Still, I can maybe only go through 16 verses at a time with this
idea before my brain gives up.

This is the grammar:

http://www.amazon.com/Biblical-Hebrew-Workbook-Language-
Series/dp/0300043945/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391215359&sr=8- 1&keywords=hebrew+kittel

Edited by ElComadreja on 01 February 2014 at 1:44am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7016 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 84 of 145
01 February 2014 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Hmm I went to a social gathering and I felt like I was a step out again. Much like when
I listened to the news without video, I feel the same way listening to normal
conversation (although it's not quite as extreme). I found myself forcing myself to
consciously break down sounds, and not understanding a whole lot.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7016 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 85 of 145
03 February 2014 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Well I went all the way though Genesis 1 in Hebrew. I feel that my lack of vocab is
kicking me in the head. I have to keep looking at the translation for words I don't
know, but other than that it's doesn't seem that hard. If I was to honor my year's goal
to read jonah, I guess I could just study the extra vocab from that book and then come
back to it. Right now I feel like this is going to be pushed back in favor of Tagalog.

Interesting thing happened today. I had 2 students, one a Cebuano speaker and one
Tagalog. I was trying to think of the word "same" and it's a bit difficult for me
because it's a borrowed Spanish word with a fixed gender in Cebuano. Apparently, Cebuano
uses the feminine one, and Tagalog the masculine :o (I looked it up, the masculine is
acceptable in Cebuano, but maybe not common?)

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7016 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 86 of 145
04 February 2014 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
well this is day 18 of listening to the 30 minute Cebuano news broadcast every weekday.
The last few days I've increased the listening time so that I'm almost constantly
listening to some Cebuano from old news or the Bible. (imperfect) Cebuano speech is
starting to pop out of my mouth and sometimes I don't know how I did it...

BUT

I feel like I've gone backwards in oral understanding because I struggling with the news
again. I usually get the words, but they roll by too fast. It's almost like I'm back to
April 25 of last year :(

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7016 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 87 of 145
07 February 2014 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Well considering this step backward, I think it's time to put down my other language
endeavors and just concentrate on Cebuano. I'm not sure what to do exactly though.

I could just listen to Cebuano endlessly,
I did this a yesterday and I didn't understand a whole lot, but I could swear that it
was easier to understand normal conversation at the end of the day.

or pick an episode and watch it several times over the day.
I watched today's several times and it got a little clearer each time.

Or I could get back to reading.
I tried to read some news articles and it feels allot harder than before, but I slogged
through a few of them, and then some of those words came up in the broadcast. Also if I
do more reading, in theory I can activate more vocab because I can look up every word
that I haven't seen in context before.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7016 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 88 of 145
09 February 2014 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Well, taking some advice from elsewhere on here, I listened to some Cebuano as I was
going to sleep. I didn't mean for it to, but it continued to play the whole night. I
think the only thing that this accomplished was making me tired the next day from lack
of quality sleep :(

Tried listing to a constant stream, tried some shadowing...

I think the only thing that is doing anything at this point is listening to the same
thing more than once over the course of a day. I'm not stopping myself from looking at
the video anymore because it helps to keep my interest, and I think I've broken the
habit of "back translating" from the visual cues. There will be some who say several
phrases that just sound like nonsense the first time, and which then becomes much
more clear the second time.

But I still think it's worth it to read through some of the articles because I think
that's the only way I could have recognize some of these words at full speed. I think
it also kicks something else in... when I tried reading again it's like I forgot how
and it took some effort to get the knack back.

I wonder if what happened was if I felt a boost a week or so a ago because I was
suddenly understanding much more, but now I realize how much I still don't get?

Edited by ElComadreja on 09 February 2014 at 3:14am

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version