145 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 97 of 145
15 February 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
More and more when people talk to each other I tell myself to listen to the sounds, and
meaning starts coming out. Then they talk to me and I go blank :p
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 98 of 145
18 February 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Well, I had a hiccup listening everyday the past few days due to life. My Cebuano
listening moved backwards.

Then I listened to some Tagalog Mark, and found myself listening to the sounds (because
I don't have much recourse at this point). I "picked up" some of it when it got to the
"parable of the sower", because I recognized the word "seed" (which is the same as
Cebuano) and knowing the story, that was enough to start piecing things together..

Then when I came back to the Cebuano it's like I remembered how to listen. I remember
that Kaufmann guy saying that starting a new language helps him with the one that he's
finishing.

Finished listing for Portuguese FSI programmatic. Don't know when I'll actually get
around to going through the course. Listing for that seemed allot easier than usual,
even after I took out the obvious Spanish cognates.

Edited by ElComadreja on 18 February 2014 at 6:15pm

FutureSpy
Hexaglot
Brazil
yuji.ws/
Joined 6237 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, CatalanC1, Galician, English, Esperanto
Studies: Occitan, Swiss-German, Cebuano

Message 99 of 145
20 February 2014 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Glad to find your learning log. Actually, I started learning Cebuano today. You're really
an inspiration. I hope I can get somewhere near your level someday... I studied some
Chavacano before, so I have a gist of how particles work, but absolutely no idea of the
grammar. I also tried to teach myself Tagalog using TY 9 years ago when I was still in
High School, but I quit it frustrated by the fact the textbook only deals with verbs in
the last chapters (or at least, that's what I recall).

FYI, there's a PDF copy of "Beginning Cebuano Part 1" by John U. Wolff (long out of
print; Part 2 can still be bought from Yale Press) floating around on the net which you
might find useful at least for grammar (not sure if you still need it now, but just
telling).

Edited by FutureSpy on 20 February 2014 at 10:59pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 100 of 145
21 February 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Always good to see other material out there. I wonder if that's what we were using here
before because I never saw a title on the thing. If you haven't noticed yet, Tagalog
has a specific present tense, and Cebuano has a tense that is instead present or past
depending on the context. Oh and for fun find the (partly) chavacano song "porque".
Someone said it was Spanish and wanted me to tell them what it said, the first line or
so I understood and then it was like "what was *that*"?

So today I watched the news in Tagalog to "prime the pump" as it seems to get me
listening correctly. Then I listened to the Cebuano (not the same stories). The first
thing that I'll say is that I ended up understanding both of these just a well (or just
as poorly). The other thing I'll say is that this is one of those days where I would
give up if this stuff wasn't around me every day. I feel like I'm on a long annoying
plateau. At least it's not one of those bizarre "zero understanding" days.

I wonder what the best approach is to pick up new words... as I do normally have to be
told what the words are at least once. listen several times and see what comes out?
Reading more and looking stuff up?

I tried the waray broadcast just to see how that would go... not so well :P

Edited by ElComadreja on 21 February 2014 at 3:41pm

FutureSpy
Hexaglot
Brazil
yuji.ws/
Joined 6237 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, CatalanC1, Galician, English, Esperanto
Studies: Occitan, Swiss-German, Cebuano

Message 101 of 145
21 February 2014 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
I wonder if that's what we were using here before because I never
saw a title on the thing. If you haven't noticed yet,

Part 1 has 15 lessons (out of which 2 are review lessons). Each lesson has one or two
long conversations, drills and after lesson 4 there's also a reading section. It's an
old book tho (1966?), so conversations might be outdated... And the spelling is
bizarre: the author does write it as an "i" when it's /i/ and "u" when it's /u/, so
that, for an instance, "pero" is "piru". The good point is that he notes all glotal
stops with a q :P

Are you living in Cebu right now? I wonder how fast the language is evolving there. I'm
getting help from a Visayan born and raised in Zamboanga, so his Cebuano might be also
a little bit outdated, given he picked it up from his family.

ElComadreja wrote:
I wonder what the best approach is to pick up new words...

For difficulty words, I usually invent mnemonics. For the others, I simply create Anki
flashcards with a sentence (sometimes the sentence itself turns out to be a shortcut
for me to remember the word as well). If there's audio available, I include it as well
in the card. Works for me, but creating cards can be very daunting...

Edited by FutureSpy on 21 February 2014 at 3:10pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 102 of 145
21 February 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
no, I don't think I've ever seen that before. I'll have to look out for a copy. I think
That's the same guy that made a very complete dictionary.

I am indeed living in Cebu. I don't think the language has evolved that much over the
last oh, 30 years, but there's not any real "pure" Cebuano speaking people in Cebu. If
you go outside the city they start using words that they don't know, because they have
a bigger vocabulary.

I still remember when some of the locals wanted to improve their English. Someone said
"Just use English, Lagi!"

Oh, and for Cebuano "o" and "u" are interchangeable as are "i" and "e". That's to say
that there's only 3 vowels with a wide acceptable range of saying them. And there is no
real standardized spelling. This catches me off guard often when trying to understand.

Edited by ElComadreja on 21 February 2014 at 4:25pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 103 of 145
22 February 2014 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Sigh, I feel like I'm going nowhere.

I'll at least put up another observation. When listening to the same broadcast, I do
notice some things the second time that I did not the first time. After that I just
don't think it's going to get any better. So at most, I should watch twice a day.

edit: just listened to it with no video again. I just realized that I was letting the
video tell me (or confirm) what a story is about, and that's something that I need to do
on my own when other people talk to me. So, back to no video for me.

Edited by ElComadreja on 22 February 2014 at 6:58am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 104 of 145
24 February 2014 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Experienced some tongue-tied speech today. One reason was I wanted to say "I forgot
something" I and I could work it all out except for the "Something". I knew there was
not a direct translation, and I didn't know what to do so I just said "I forgot" (or
possibly "I will forget :P") A native gave me this translation... "Naa ko'y
nakalimtan." which is "I have a forgotten" or "there is to me a happened to forget."

Then riding in a taxi, the driver said in English "it's hot" and I said in Cebuano "no
not really". Then I realized the way that the taxi was facing that the sun was shining
right on him. So I wanted to say "oh, you are in the sun". But nothing I came up with
made any sense to me. Partly because sun and day is the same word, and party because
"in the sun" feels idiomatic in English. So someone later said to use something like
"naglikod ka sa init." Init is heat, but looks like that's the right word in this
context. Then I wondered if what I said in English confused the poor guy because I said
"You are in the sun", maybe he was thinking "that is what I just said."

Started the FSI Portuguese. I'm blasted through the first 4 lessons, but that's
probably because there are no long dialogues. There is plenty of explanation... I might
say too much explanation because they keep bringing up things like "This is a nasal,
make sure you don't say the n". This is a bit addictive because the FSI recordings I
have are only like 5 minutes each. From my Spanish studies, I'm still getting used to
the fact that the vowels are not always said the same. Even "ele" and "ela" (he/she)
say the first e differently.

Edited by ElComadreja on 24 February 2014 at 12:48pm

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version