Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 105 of 145
24 February 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with Portuguese! Feel free to ask if you need help.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 106 of 145
26 February 2014 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Well I had a nice motivational booster today. I had a bit of conversation with someone
who knows how talk to a "less than native". I wouldn't say it was dumbed down, but they
repeated stuff when I didn't get it the first time. I started replying in English, but
after several statements from the other person in Cebuano, I actually found it
difficult
to keep doing that and Cebuano started coming out of me.

Does this mean I'm B1? It can't be any higher than that because I see the phrase
"without strain for either party" for B2.

Portuguese:
I'm now through lesson 6. Ironically I Now wish they would explain more about if there
is a nasal :p

I'm not sure if there is one in "comigo" (don't think so) or in a combination like "com
o Marcos" (I think so) I remember some nasals from French, but they feel different in
Portuguese, like I'm just choosing to not say an "n" all the way.

Edited by ElComadreja on 26 February 2014 at 6:17pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 107 of 145
26 February 2014 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
'comigo' sounds ok if pronounced with just a closed "ô" or even an "u", though there are
several possibilities.

As for "com o Marcos", "com" does sound nasal and you won't hear the "m" at all.
Therefore, it sounds as if it were a diphthong, kõu markus .
2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 108 of 145
28 February 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Today was a good day for listening to the news. :) Conversation was still blurry but less so. It's kind of an odd day for the "peak" to happen because I didn't do anything with it yesterday. Last time I felt this way was 10 days ago.

Got a dose of tagalog tv while visiting someone. I get bits here and there, and asked what some words meant. When the news came on, it got easier. It's kind of exhilarating to understand a little at this point, though I know it's far behind Cebuano. I think I'm getting allot of help from vocab overlap.

I have approached the part of the Portuguese course that has full dialogs. There are allot of speech exercises but I'm just skipping it because my first goal is just to listen.

I looked up some false friends for Portuguese/Spansh. Nothing really stands out for me. Estufa is oven in Spanish, but could mean greenhouse in Portuguese? I would just asume they were using some slang anyway.

Edited by ElComadreja on 01 March 2014 at 3:01am

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4891 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 109 of 145
28 February 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Do you have an idea of what your current Cebuano vocabulary is right now?

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 110 of 145
01 March 2014 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
I had about 3000 on some srs a long time ago. Those are pretty much solid now (at least passively). Now I need to look up about 3 words per Bible chapter or newspaper article. If I read through twice while able to look stuff up then the 3rd time I don't need to check anymore. I'm trying to back off looking up every last thing so that I get used to figuring out words in context. Sometimes I don't need to look up anything.

Edited by ElComadreja on 01 March 2014 at 3:19am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 111 of 145
02 March 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Well yesterday was one if those days where my brain refused to do anything, so I let it
be. Today when we are out in the sun all day I can still understand some. Which is
really kind of cool.

But I've really gotten tongue tied the past few days. I was waiting in line to buy
something, and when I got there I had to leave because I forgot to get cash. I wanted
to tell the guy in Cebuano but just stood there because I couldn't do it. Because I was
in a hurry I just told him in English, walked away, and then 5 seconds later I was
like, "oh yeah."

There are some people here that speak a Chinese dialect as their primary language, but
I looked around and I think materials are only in Mandarin. Wow what a huge project
that would be.

Is there b/v confusion in Portuguese? I'm at the point where I really have to hear
those nasals because it's the difference between he goes and they go.

My NT Greek is all up on the silver level. There's only like 85 words to keep working
with at this point. I finished reading through Mark (I'm about a week behind on that
goal). The ending was difficult because it is written so differently (that is one of
the reasons that many think that it's a different person that added it to the end). I
moved on to Luke. Wow the greeting was a punch in the face because of the vocab. Second
time was not so bad. This is probably a similar issue that I'm having in Hebrew. In
fact I could probably test how well I can read something after going through a few
times with and without goldlisting the less common words.

Edited by ElComadreja on 02 March 2014 at 6:08pm

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4891 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 112 of 145
02 March 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
OK, so all in all a bit over 3000 or so? It sounds like your vocabulary is about the same as mine is in Japanese, then! I have trouble listening to things beyond basic daily conversations with my Japanese friends, mostly because I lack the vocabulary. This is even more apparent with Cantonese and Mandarin, where my vocabulary is only around maybe 2000. I think that both our problems can be remedied most efficiently by increasing our vocabulary by a few thousand words – my personal goal for the next couple of years is goldlisting 15 000 words in Cantonese and Mandarin, because Cantonese is my favourite language, and I want to take it very far.

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version