145 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 33 of 145
01 June 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
For purposes of Goldlist effectiveness, I thought I would say this. I remeber throwing out a word "Burot" on
one of my first distillations. It was a word as above that I didn't really feel that i knew, but was one that I felt I
would be more likely to remeber than the others. Well, that word came up today orally, and that word
sounded out like a bell and I knew it! (although I maybe had to stop a second to think about what it meant
EXACTLY)

I'm starting to believe that this system works, for other various reasons because I'm still not buying the
automatic 30% thing.

1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 34 of 145
11 June 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Second distillations came up today. It does feel like a ball is rolling downhill as those went rather quickly. Out of curiosity, I went and looked at the words I took out of the first distillation. Of those, I knew half or a little more than half. On one of my lists I noticed the first time around that 3 of the words were on another list, crossed those out and picked five others to throw out, and I remembered 3 of the 5. This is not the results I was expecting, but it's still impressive for the lack of effort that I put into it.

Still after first distillations I know 4 or 5 words for roughly 40 minutes of work, when If I did 40 minutes up front, spending extra time and effort to memorize, I would know 8.

So I guess it's a question of how hard I want to work or how fast I want to get it done.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 35 of 145
18 June 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I hit a patch of second distillations (sunday) where I could not tell you what any of the 25 words meant. But in reading something today, I saw one and I knew what to do with it.

So, I've decided today to not revisit thrown out words. I've noticed that this method at the least gets words into "limbo" where I can then know it if I have enough context, although I could not tell you what the word meant standing by itself... which is what happens when I do any other vocab studies... and then the word sticks. But Gold listing doesn't take as long.

I've got about 45% headlisted.

Also, for those who care, there was a big bug fix to the Cebuano Talk apple app.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 36 of 145
29 June 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Is this all in my head? Even now I read Cebuano and it seems like the words that I
REALLY have a problem with are words that I haven't gotten to yet in my dictionary...
things after Li. For that reason I now look at foreign language dictionaries with a new
fondness.

With the start of 3rd distillations on the 25th, my headlisting has slowed down because
I really don't feel like doing any after getting through all the other stuff. And for
me, this is all about taking it easy. For some reason I like distilling, but the
headlisting feels like a chore if I do much more than 5 in a day.

For grins, I tried to memorize one set of brand new words when I listed them, and it
made no difference two weeks later. I remember that first list that I recalled
perfectly 7.5 words, that those were from something that I read, then looked up,
memorized, and read through again.

about 53% headlisted.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 37 of 145
09 July 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Just made a step up into a silver book. Adding this stage doesn't really add much more time because when I only do at most 6 headlists a day, that only means 1 or 2 4th distillations per day.

My first four lists to get combined into the silver book had two list in the middle that had a bunch of words starting with "y". For some reason these seem harder than the rest, and none of those were distilled.

As part of an experiment, I distilled down to 7 words on the 3rd distillation of the 1st list, so I added in some older words from another list that I just couldn't seem to remember... but I think I realize now that in context it would not be a problem.

My verbal comprehension has taken a step backwards... because I haven't been focusing on it. My plan is to kick it back up with shadowing when this is all through. Oddly enough though, someone asked me a routine question which I answered in English, but only later did I realized they didn't ask it in English.

About 60% headlisted.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 38 of 145
23 July 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Still churning it out at 73%. Those list of "y"s from two weeks ago? They started coming out like magic today :)

Some of my "distractions" are coming up to the silver level. I think I'll just put them in the same book with a label at the top. It will only be 6 silver pages. Got distracted again this week and did 200 words of Hungarian... the first FSI lesson.

I noticed this along time ago, but I marked down when people interrupt me in the middle of a list and it makes no difference 2 weeks later.

Edited by ElComadreja on 23 July 2013 at 4:56pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 39 of 145
30 July 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
hit 77% today. I noticed that, without any other real effort, that listening to Cebuano this week seems easier. I feel that I'm constantly at the "hear everything but can't always process it" state, even when tired. I still want to shadow at the end. In two days I'll be done with the first bronze book. Progress is self correcting. If I did too much I won't put any new words in 2 weeks later and the opposite is also true.

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4248 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 40 of 145
05 August 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I definitely enjoyed reading your blog. I couldn't help but draw parallelisms between your struggles with
listening comprehension with my own study of Mandarin Chinese. I plan to start studying Cebuano in the
next few years so it was quite gladdening to know there are some other people out there who have chosen
to learn Cebuano.

Right now, by necessity I have to give as much time as I can to studying Mandarin because of my work
here in China, but as soon as I feel I have a good grasp of Mandarin I'll start learning other languages,
including Cebuano.

I guess it will be a bit easier for me since I'm English and Tagalog bilingual and I heard Cebuano spoken
around a lot in the house, it's my mother's first language. I am therefore all praises for your dedication to
learn this language. Keep up the great work!

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version