145 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 57 of 145
15 December 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Wow today I had a word that came up that threw me off... someone explained it to me and
it didn't stick this time. I went back and looked it up... I had that word, but a
different definition. Maybe it will stick now, because it's in the same neighbor hood.

Some things that happened to me yesterday, someone sat next to me, handed me some money
and I thought they said, "sorry"(pasensia), and then, "here's your change"(sincillo
ni), but what they said was "make me some change"(pasincillo ni).

Someone called on the phone, started speaking Cebuano, and I was about to ask them to
switch over to English, but then I figured out that they were asking for directions!
So I told them a landmark that would get them there, but they kept asking more & I
couldn't figure it out, so I handed it to someone else, and they were also confused...
long story short, the callers did not know they called the wrong number.

just noticed Some Cebuano books by Joseph P Hradisky Jr on Amazon for Kindle.

Edited by ElComadreja on 15 December 2013 at 6:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 58 of 145
16 December 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
The word is "timpla" and in every dictionary I looked in it says "add flavor to" or
"flavor". It was used yesterday as more of a "make" when someone asked If I would like
them to make some coffee. Oddly enough, if I think of "flavor" I now remember this word,
but not if I'm trying to think of yesterday's scenario.

Edited by ElComadreja on 16 December 2013 at 11:48am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 59 of 145
21 December 2013 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
As kind of a side note, I listed the back of Teach Yourself Filipino, and worked it
through 3rd distillations, then after a week, I started reading though the book quite
easily, even on grammar points. I went through about half the book like that in two days,
and then felt a block after that. A week later, and I did 4th distillations, with no
apparent change in # of words that I could pull out. When I'm done with the 4ths I'll see
how the rest of the book goes.

edit: I had a little "encouragement" to go ahead and start doing Tagalog, because one
night I was at a Cebuano household, and everyone started singing Tagalog songs. I knew it
was Tagalog but how lost I was. They also like watching Tagalog TV shows over there.

Edited by ElComadreja on 22 December 2013 at 4:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 60 of 145
29 December 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Something I noticed with Cebuano... I said earlier that they prefer passive verbs, but I
may have discovered something else... They don't like using pronouns as direct objects
(to him, for me) in normal speech. And so if I rearrange sentences so that this doesn't
happen, I find that I end up in the right place.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 61 of 145
29 December 2013 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
As kind of a side note, I listed the back of Teach Yourself Filipino, and worked it
through 3rd distillations, then after a week, I started reading though the book quite
easily, even on grammar points. I went through about half the book like that in two days,
and then felt a block after that. A week later, and I did 4th distillations, with no
apparent change in # of words that I could pull out. When I'm done with the 4ths I'll see
how the rest of the book goes.

Do you like the Teach Yourself course? I was thinking about buying it, but I haven't decided yet.

I enjoy your log - a very new-to-me approach, and an interesting language!

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 62 of 145
29 December 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Yes I do, and I think you can get it as an e-book where you click on the spoken parts to
hear them. At first I was thinking "oh no, they are not going to explain the grammar",
but they do :) Really, there's allot I'm skipping because I'm just reading the dialogues
for the most part. (and thank you they put all the new vocab right next to them). Plus,
there's allot of grammar that's the same as Cebuano.

The author of the goldlist method kind of makes his lists while he goes through a book
like this (or as he's reading through a bilingual text), but I can't stand breaking the
flow all the time like that.

Yes, I'm trying some different things for Cebuano because I don't have the same options
as I have for say, Spanish. :)

Edited by ElComadreja on 29 December 2013 at 6:12pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 63 of 145
07 January 2014 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Well, after reading about Iversen's bloodhound listening technique I may have a road
map to end of my journey... fluent listening. I recall thinking before that If I focus
on the sounds of the language, I tend to understand it better. It's good to see this
backed up my someone with greater accomplishments.

I tried doing just that yesterday. I would listen to the sounds, not get anything, and
then magically start getting something. Then I would start focusing on the meaning and
lose it again. Maybe this is the way?

Speaking skills are getting more solid, without too much effort (and several
corrections by my friends) and confounded by my allergies for the last several weeks
that give me a deep voice. This makes me incomprehensible to the Filipino in English or
Cebuano.

Cebuano goldlisting is done, several weeks ago (I only went to 7th distillations)
I've worked all the way through the Tagalog TY dialogs (not audio)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 64 of 145
07 January 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
I would listen to the sounds, not get anything, and
then magically start getting something. Then I would start focusing on the meaning and
lose it again. Maybe this is the way?

What do you mean by focusing on the meaning? Is it similar to translating what you hear into English in your head? That probably hurts your listening, because it slows you down. Yes, focus on the language (the sounds, if you will) and trust yourself to get the meaning eventually. I used to listen to a Korean podcast every night and my ability to focus on the language gradually got better and better. But I still have to focus on the language not to lose it. When you think of it, it's kind of nice... Sometimes I wish I could tune out German or English as well as I can tune out Korean...

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version