145 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7024 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 89 of 145
09 February 2014 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
Would you believe I'm still mixing up wala and dili? :p The last week whenever I get odd
looks, I switch to the other one. I'm starting to do it on my own. What is interesting
to me is that if you use the wrong one, it's a complete block to the other person
understanding.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7024 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 90 of 145
10 February 2014 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Well, I started reading Cebuano again, this time Ester. I'm reading a chapter, leaving
it for a while, then reading it again. Just doing this has helped to get me back in the
rhythm I think. Not having a separate "he" and "she" is confusing sometimes. I wonder if
that's how Spanish speakers feel about English with every noun.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7024 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 91 of 145
10 February 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm a little confused. This listening more that once stuff lets me understand things
quite well, but I think I've actually moved backwards understanding conversation.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 92 of 145
10 February 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I think you should ideally listen to things several times, as well as listening to things once and trying to catch whatever you can. It's like intensive and extensive reading.

It might also help not to stress yourself out about understanding... Listening skills do fluctuate, but in the core they don't actually change much in such a short amount of time. If you want to improve them overall, you might have to look at a period of several months, just stick to it and trust that it will work...

EDIT: Are there any Cebuano TV shows? Maybe you should practice with that type of material if you want to improve conversational listening skills. By the way, understanding natural conversation is the biggest challenge when it comes to listening.

Edited by druckfehler on 10 February 2014 at 6:00pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7024 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 93 of 145
10 February 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
There's a soap opera out there in Cebuano, but the subject matter was too odd for me.
When it comes down to it, that's why I'm doing the news so much... something on a daily
schedule & modern, and does have a bit of "the man on the street" speaking. I've
recently seen a high correlation between understanding that, and the people around me,
but not the past few days.

Knowing that I get 5 episodes a week, how would you approach it, listen once to one of
them, and several times to another one or what?

If you always ask people to repeat things will you eventually get better?

Thank you :)

Edited by ElComadreja on 10 February 2014 at 7:43pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 94 of 145
10 February 2014 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
In that case, doing more with your material is probably better, if you have the time. You can just treat the first time you listen to each news as an "I'll just try to understand what I can" thing.

Are there any radio shows or podcasts, maybe? I think those might also work very well for extensive listening. If you can set aside 15 minutes or half an hour per day to listen extensively in addition to your intensive TV news, it could help a lot over time. In extensive listening, if you want to get something out of it, it's important to stay focused on the language and not do anything else at the same time. Also, try not to let your thoughts wander when you don't understand what you hear. I'm saying that because I find these things to be the biggest challenge in listening.

Another thing you might want to consider is adding audio sentences taken from native materials to Anki and review them everyday. You can put only the audio on the front of the card and the written sentence on the back. I think you're already past the stage where this helps most, but it might be worth a try if you have access to subtitles. Alternatively, you could try to find (a) native speaker(s) who is/are willing to let you record them and can help you figure out what they said. Doing this even once or a few times might be very helpful.

Regarding listening before sleep: I used to do that regularly and liked how it worked for me, mainly because I got distracted a lot less. And whenever I got tired from the listening I could doze off. But if it doesn't turn off at some point (I used 30 minute podcasts), it's probably really detrimental to your sleep. I could never understand people who swear by listening in your sleep.

I think it's perfectly okay to ask people to repeat things when you can't understand what they are saying - if you kind of understand, some educated guesswork might make repetition unnecessary. Good luck! It's a long road to perfect listening comprehension...

Edited by druckfehler on 10 February 2014 at 8:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7024 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 95 of 145
13 February 2014 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
Day 27 of this listening exercise. It feels like it's been allot longer than that, but
when I count the days, it hasn't even been a month. I'm back to being able to focus on
the sounds again as of 2 days ago. I get allot more the first time around, and
conversation is becoming clear again. It seems like there was at least a 8 day gap of
that ability. It seems like it came back right after I was trying to RL a little Tagalog
for the first time.

When I was riding in a jeep yesterday, someone had a radio playing with allot of bass in
it, and I was listening to the English speech just fine. Then I found I could "tune it
out" while still listening to the noise. It feels like what I've been doing but in
reverse.

Edited by ElComadreja on 13 February 2014 at 6:24am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7024 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 96 of 145
14 February 2014 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
haha, yesterday we were waiting for another student to come so we could start and
someone said to me "maghulat ta?" (will we wait?) and I thought they said "magkulata" (I
will beat you) or (let's fight)

Edit: listening comprehension continues to go in waves, but the top of the wave I feel
is much higher. There were times in the broadcast where I understood everything
perfectly and I had no idea why, because I could not tell you what all the words were,
but I still knew what they meant.

Edited by ElComadreja on 14 February 2014 at 10:31am

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version