145 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7023 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 129 of 145
03 May 2014 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Well I found a source for that book (and some other more modern stuff). The publisher
is
Ateneo De Manlia University Press and they have a website where you can order it.

Anyway reading "Ang Mini" feels like a breeze now. I'm just sailing through it not
really
needing anything else, but of course my goal is to "expand my horizons" and so I'm
underlining words that I don't really understand, while I go (so I can keep the flow),
and then look those up after I finish a scene. I'm averaging 3 or 4 words a page. It
actually feels like a play now, and I can appreciate the banter instead of just trying
to figure it out. I've been reading this thing off and on forever!

I think I realized that sometimes when I just blank out on the news the first time
around, it's a new topic that hasn't come up before.

Edited by ElComadreja on 03 May 2014 at 10:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5140 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 130 of 145
03 May 2014 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
Brother, is it ok if I ask you, seeing how much you
have used the Goldlist system, if you could
summarise the good and bad parts of it so that I
can try to improve it?

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7023 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 131 of 145
03 May 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Sure :) here are my thoughts:

I do not believe that any pure vocabulary study (including inflections) will get you to
the point where you can read without any help. This is why I like the Goldlist system.
To me when I distill or get that 7th distillation it's like I know I can't improve by
studying those words directly. This in contrast to, say Anki where I often find myself
asking these things:

1)why is it still asking me about this word?
2)I'm not going to get any better at this word this way
3)oh my goodness, there's so many words to review and I have to do it today or lose my
window!

I've seen a video where you say that you will have a book in your TL and a translation
in your native one, and list words as you go along, but as I said before I can't stand
stopping all the time to do that. Well, not when I've got 20 words a chapter to sort
out anyway.

So far my attack plan has been list first, then (if I can't follow it) read with a
translation (maybe twice), then read just in TL and pick out the words that are still
unclear. Of these, I find reading with a translation to be the largest inconvenience.
It's the part that feels like work. With TY or FSI the dialogues are short enough that
it's not taxing. I've done this kind of thing in the past (minus Goldlist) but I'm
pretty sure I had to work harder to get the new words to stick. The last part has been
cut off where I have to keep reviewing those words to keep them in usable passive
memory.

Some things I do different:
I don't number the words anymore. My fingers are happier and I kept messing up the
numbers anyway. I just keep carrying over a mark that shows when I filled up 25 new
words,

I don't combine words anymore. Occasionally there will be one (rarely 2) that I can't
take out, I just add an extra line and make a note of how many there are and try to
take out an extra next time. It usually does come out.

I don't "decide" which ones are the best any more (although that's still what I told
our Greek students so that they can work out for themselves how that will go.) I have a
systematic way of doing this and I end up with the same results. I go over the words
and translations top to bottom, and then cover the translation and go top to bottom to
see what I remember easily. I then go over all the words and translations bottom to top
and do the same thing. I continue alternating this until I'm done.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5140 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 132 of 145
03 May 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
The idea of the mark is a brilliant option for
those who are not driven by numbers. I'll
definitely try to mention that option in future.
Many thanks for your kind feedback, and God bless.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7023 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 133 of 145
03 May 2014 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
I don't remember if I said this before but I at one time crammed the vocab from TY
Esperanto in maybe a few days. (I was already familiar with the grammar). I think I only
got through that book through sheer will after that. Day after day trying to understand
and not forget the dialogs, prefixes and such.

I recently Goldlisted vocab for TY Tagalog and half of FSI Hungarian, and FSI
Programmatic Portuguese I. I instead found these (written) dialogs quite fun! In one
sitting I'll be able to read a lesson with no pain, and generally, after 30 minutes a day
for 5 days, understand it when spoken.

Sir you have made the journey brighter! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7023 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 134 of 145
09 May 2014 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Finished reading through "Ang Mini" while checking vocab that I wasn't sure about.
About half the time I guessed what the word was anyway. It was wholly enjoyable. Not
sure what to do on that front now though. I think it was a good idea alternating a day
of that and a day of news.

I've noticed that my one-to-one speaking is working. I'm able to clarify things from
another person, and when I say something, the context is already there. I asked for
help at a hardware store (with details), and the guy understood just fine but *sigh*
kept speaking to me in English. I feel I have to push myself into the first sentence or
so, and then it starts coming easier.

What was odd was that today, someone was explaining something to a group of 3 of us
something of a technical nature, and I understood it, but the natives did not :o
Listening to two natives talk to each other is still sometimes completely opaque.
Mostly when I'm tired.

I wish I had a way to measure progress in a quantitative way. I could keep myself
motivated with it. Put a poster up with a mark of 100% and slowly fill it in from the
bottom as I improve. If I use logarithmic paper, it would still look good when it takes
longer to get more advanced. But how do I do that in a meaningful way?

Edited by ElComadreja on 10 May 2014 at 2:01am

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4894 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 135 of 145
10 May 2014 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
I wish I had a way to measure progress in a quantitative way. I could keep myself
motivated with it.

Are you still goldlisting Cebuano? You could simply set vocabulary goals and reach them.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7023 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 136 of 145
10 May 2014 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
No, that's done I got all that out of the way first before getting back into using
Cebuano. That's one of the reasons I like the system. It's very easy to see where you
are. It's hard to do that in speech though.

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version