Joined 5019 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 18
09 April 2013 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
lecavaleur wrote:
In addition to Renaud-Bray, which others have mentioned, the other major bookstore
chain in Québec is Archambault. They usually have an identical inventory as Renaud-
Bray, but you may find a better deal by always checking both websites....

If you're in Mtl, hit up the used bookstores. Just outside of the Grande Bibliothèque,
on the south side of the building, there's the Allée des bouquinistes, where you can
buy used BD's for like $8 apiece. It sure beats the usual $15 to $30 you'll pay for new
ones..

Thanks for the info; I'll keep both in mind for my next trip to Montreal. Googling "Allée des bouquinistes", it
seems that it won't open till later in the season: last year's Allée ran from 18 May to 14 October.

I may post something on my log later, about my visit to Planète BD, as part of a short series on the (mainly
second-hand) bookstores I visited during my Montreal visit last week.

Edited by songlines on 09 April 2013 at 6:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Anomi
Austria
Joined 4501 days ago

20 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 18 of 18
09 April 2013 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
lecavaleur wrote:
In addition to Renaud-Bray, which others have mentioned, the other
major bookstore
chain in Québec is Archambault. They usually have an identical inventory as Renaud-
Bray, but you may find a better deal by always checking both websites.

You can also consider purchasing used BD's from Abebooks.ca.

If you're in Mtl, hit up the used bookstores. Just outside of the Grande Bibliothèque,
on the south side of the building, there's the Allée des bouquinistes, where you can
buy used BD's for like $8 apiece. It sure beats the usual $15 to $30 you'll pay for new
ones.

I love the Fnac when I'm actually in France; it's the most amazing store ever. But
ordering from them and shipping it to Canada must cost a bloody fortune.

Thanks so much for the tips ;)
It's too bad I don't live closer to Mtl, I'd love to visit more often, and more
casually when I do.
And yes, Fnac has most items at almost half the price of the chains in Quebéc, at least
the ones I've discovered, so sometimes I can convince myself the shipping is worth it.
It's on a case-by-case basis though :P

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version