Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Who speaks TL better - Kerry or Gingrich?

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
39 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5058 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 33 of 39
03 March 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Juаn wrote:
... leading one to believe he indeed possesses at least some objective
knowledge of the language.

I can only respond as a native English speaker that speaks Spanish, but I have to
disagree here.

His cadence, prosody, and physical demeanor - right down to arm movement and eyebrow
raising, come off as very rehearsed, and looking at his eye movement, a teleprompter
was used.

It may not be common knowledge, but teleprompters are set up to deliver all sorts of
communication hints to the speaker, including pronunciation and physical movement in
addition to just words.

R.
==

But this should really not be worth arguing about:
You cause a public scandal, feel forced to make a public apology, well, of course you write a message, give it to a member of your staff, have it translated and practise it with a competent speaker. Anything else would be totally stupid. And you use a teleprompter, yes, we can.
Would they have done this if the language in question were Finnish, Russian or Chinese? Probably not, I think, but as he has some basic knowledge of Spanish they decided to go for it. That's the only really realistic scenario imo, in addition to the more linguistic arguments Juan has mentioned.

Edited by lingoleng on 03 March 2013 at 2:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 34 of 39
03 March 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
... but as he has some basic knowledge of Spanish they decided to go
for it. That's the only really realistic scenario imo

If you listen to what he's actually saying, basic knowledge of Spanish is NOT why he's
speaking Spanish. The only reason he's speaking Spanish (which, by the way, is
grammatically correct - it's just his accent that sucks, so there's really no point in
saying "I know my Spanish is imperfect", unless it was written by someone else) is to
make a plea to a Spanish speaking population to learn the de facto language of the
land, which happens to be English.

Knowledge of Spanish has nothing to do with it. If there were a Mandarin or Russian
speaking immigrant population as large as our Spanish speaking population, he would
have spoken in one of those languages.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 03 March 2013 at 2:57am

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5058 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 35 of 39
03 March 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
The only reason he's speaking Spanish is to make a plea to a Spanish
speaking population to learn the de facto language of the land, which happens to
be English.
R.
==

Have you skipped the 18 seconds at the beginning? They are the reason why ...

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 36 of 39
03 March 2013 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:

The video is a lot longer than 18 seconds. I suggest you listen to the whole thing.

Also, apologies to @newyorkeric. It's difficult not talking about politics when the
video link is precisely about national politics.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 03 March 2013 at 3:06am

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5058 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 37 of 39
03 March 2013 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
lingoleng wrote:

The video is a lot longer than 18 seconds. I suggest you listen to the whole thing.

R.
==

well, thanks for the kind suggestion, but when we come down to this level I am out of the discussion. And just for the record: I don't need your well meant translations nor your hints what is grammatically correct in Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leroc
United States
Joined 4071 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 38 of 39
03 March 2013 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
I can't comment on Kerry's French, but possessing a basic intermediate knowledge of Spanish (3 years during high school) I can say that Gingrich's Spanish pronunciation is about the level of a 2nd year high school student, and not a very motivated one.

Edited by leroc on 03 March 2013 at 7:08am

3 persons have voted this message useful

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4279 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 39 of 39
03 March 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
leroc wrote:
not a very motivated one.

LOL! Yeah, he was the guy who took his Spanish class right before lunch and couldn't focus on this class because
he was always so ready for lunch. He could have really went places had he only taken Spanish in 5th period. ;)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version