Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Online university courses using your TL?

Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5314 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 5
28 February 2013 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie recently discovered that Coursera has free, online university courses taught in Spanish, French, Chinese and Italian. To find courses, visit this page, and select your target language on the left.

The courses in French include:

Quote:
École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
Analyse Numérique pour Ingénieurs

Initiation à la programmation (en C++)

Initiation à la programmation (en Java)

École Polytechnique
Aléatoire : une Introduction aux Probabilités

École Polytechnique
Conception et mise en oeuvre d'algorithmes.

University of Geneva
Calvin - Histoire et Réception d'une Réforme

École Polytechnique
Initiation à la théorie des distributions

Introduction à la programmation orientée objet (en C++)

Introduction à la programmation orientée objet (en Java)

I've signed up for the course in probability, which starts September 21st, 2013. Many thanks to Kerrie for discovering this!

While you're waiting for your course to start, also check out the Khan Academy, which has lessons in 17 languages. For example, here's a list of all their lessons in French, which are mostly math topics. I watched the two videos on Poisson distributions this morning.

Does anybody know of any other good sources for online classes taught in various languages?
10 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 5
28 February 2013 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Fundação Getulio Vargas Cursos Gratuitos in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil has a bunch of free online courses in Brazilian Portuguese given in a multimedia, interactive format. Pass the exams and get a certificate of completion. It's a good way to engage the language and learn about your TL's culture and history in the process. I am currently doing a course on sustainability. Afterwards I want to do the two courses on the history of the Vargas era.   

I'd also recommend Telecurso Official Youtube Channel There are several courses in Brazilian Portuguese on a variety of subjects. The videos are subtitled in Portuguese. Pdf's of books can be found by searching. No exams, credit or certificates of completion offered.

The Open Courseware Consortium allows you to browse courses by language in Catalan, Chamorro, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, Galician, German, Hebrew, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. The OCW consortium is by no means inclusive of all OCW courses available. For French, there are only 23 courses listed. There are 1,839 courses available in Spanish, many of which are from universities in Spain. Disclaimer: These courses are not language courses that teach you the language but taught in the TL- Some of these courses are MIT translations. MIT has translations in several languages of their Open Courseware courses available, but I'm not a fan of translations from English. A cool course for perfecting your Spanish comes from Universidad Carlos III Madrid- Lengua Española. Obviously, intended for native Spanish-speakers, it is wholly taught in Spanish and chock full of arcane grammar.

It's amazing what you can do for free, legally. Speaking of which, a lot of these OCW courses are not "out of the box, ready to wear". You're going to have to do some work to gather the parts yourself and follow the curriculum. OCW can be part of the answer for engaging a target language: "I am studying X but don't live anywhere near a community of X-speakers" so often seen here on the forum. Some of these courses have an associated forum where students can chat about the course, receive advice and interact with other students- or, you could just do Assimil again, and again...

Edited by iguanamon on 02 March 2013 at 4:22pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 5
28 February 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
http://www.wikinu.org/

Awesome French resources for students of medicine.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4418 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 4 of 5
28 February 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for this. It's to my understanding that the professors will even sign a statement that will count as credit at other universities after completion?

It makes me happy to see people actually care about others getting educated and not putting a price on knowledge. Can't wait for my courses to start.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 5
01 March 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
NETTUNO: Network per l'Universita` Ovunque.

http://www.consorzionettuno.it/nettuno/index.htm

They also have two channels on Hotbird, so if you are in Europe they're probably only a
satellite dish away.

From the little I've watched, I think they're a lot like the Open University is in the
UK. (Minus the 1970s clothing styles though).

I've seen Italian, French and some Arabic programmes.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version