Triglot
United States
Joined 4381 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 9 of 43
18 March 2013 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
So glad to hear you are feeling better. Reading your and Sunja's French entries is tempting me to reactivate my French studies from a million years ago. Honestly, I feel intimidated when I think of studying more than one language at a time. On the other hand, Italian might be fun to learn since I already speak Spanish ..., but that's a decision for later. For now I'm sticking to just studying German :) Bravo to you for taking on multiple language at once!
1 person has voted this message useful

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4361 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 10 of 43
18 March 2013 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks BAnna! I've been quite busy with IRL stuff so I had to keep my language study at minimum but my internship will be over soon so…more time to study! (That's the only advantage I see since being unemployed :/). I still haven't been able to properly catch up with other people's logs and I would very much like to do that. I'm obviously here to study languages, but it wouldn't hurt to get to know better other members ;)

Italian has certainly many similarities with Spanish, although it can actually be a double-edged sword. Both me and my classmates regularly fell into the "is it Spanish or Italian" dilemma XD We use different prepositions (pensar en ti versus pensare a te), tenses (Spanish for example employs the subjuntivo more often than we do), false friends and so….

With hindsight I'm not sure learning so many languages at the same time was a good decision. Things would have probably been easier if I only had to learn Swedish and French, instead of having Swedish; French; Spanish; and German @_@ Still, whether good or bad I've now set a certain goal and will stick to it. It might take me a bit longer to reach it, but I hope this experiment will have a good outcome :)

Sidenote: French accents are driving me crazy! It's the same problem I had with Spanish…what's wrong with me and accents? I can pronounce the words correctly, but when it comes to write them down…it's a disaster. Guess I'll have to do lots, lots, lots of writing practice.

Edited by suzukaze on 18 March 2013 at 1:58am

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4361 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 11 of 43
10 April 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Long time without updating, but I come with news! I kept up with my Assimil lessons for both French and Swedish and imported in Anki all the new words I found in Deutsche Welle's podcasts.

I also made a small translation (DE > EN) using one of Deutsche Welle podcast: Wort der Woche. The original text can be found here: http://www.dw.de/der-satansbraten/a-16531982.

I'm not a native English speaker and decided to translated into English only because more people would be able to correct it so...if you spot any mistake please let me know! I tried to make a literal translation and only did a few minor changes, which you can find between square brakets. Here it is:

The Little Devil

Many people don't know what they should do with a "Satansbraten". [What is certain is that] it cannot be eaten. A roast is a big piece of meat usually eaten on Sundays or [other] special occasions [and it] can be prepared in different ways; for example as meatloaf with beef or as pork roast in bread crust.

But a "Satansbraten" isn't a dish that can be served. Satan is another word for Devil. "Satansbraten" or "Teufelsbraten" is a term to define a person who damages something.

Maybe the word comes from [an old belief according to which] evil men burned in hell. But even a naughty kid is sometimes called "Satansbraten". "You are such a little devil. Stop writing on the walls", shouts his mother. Or: "You, little devil, stop throwing sand at your sister", warns his father.

One thing is sure: Who has a little devil at home can very well forget to have a quiet dinner eating roast!

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4361 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 12 of 43
17 April 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
During the last few days I completed another short translation, this time from Swedish into English. What I said above about changes from the original text also applies here.

I managed to translate everything except for these two words: "Specialpedagogiska skolmyndigheten" from this sentence: "Nu ska Specialpedagogiska skolmyndigheten undersöka hur stor problemet är.". Any suggestion? Also, I had to change this sentence "För då kan ljudet nå fram till (= get across) den somn hör dåligt." into something less literal but, hopefully, more natural.

Source: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=493&arti kel=5482859&sida=2.

Vissa elever som hör dåligt får för lite hjälp

If a student suffers from hearing impairment, they can use technical devices such as hearing aids or microphones. However, since it is not clear who should pay for these devices, some students may not receive the aids they need.

A student who has hearing problems can request a hearing aid to hear better. It may also be necessary to provide teachers and other students with microphones because they might not be heard by those who suffer from hearing impairment.

In certain Swedish locations these devices are paid by the county council while other county councils claim that schools should pay in full or split up the costs. Since it is unclear who should pay, what happens is that certain students won't receive the help they need.

Now ??? will investigate how big the problem is and they will find out if there are hard of hearing students who didn’t receive any aid at all.

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4394 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 13 of 43
19 December 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies for the TAC 2014, and congratulations on your achievements! I've just realized
we are fellow godmothers ( perhaps we should create a member card ;) since I'm a member of the Italian
team as well as Godmother to the French team!

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4361 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 14 of 43
31 December 2013 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
agantik wrote:
Good luck with your studies for the TAC 2014, and congratulations on your achievements! I've just realized we are fellow godmothers (perhaps we should create a member card ;) since I'm a member of the Italian team as well as Godmother to the French team!

Thanks a lot agantik! I had actually prepared a post listing my achievements for 2013 TAC and my browser crashed right when I was posting it so now I have to start over...bummer -.-

Yes we should definitely come up with a way to show our godmother status to everybody, because we rock :P Joking aside, I'm a mod on another forum and I got my name highlighted in red. Although we don't have thousands of members, it helps to know who is in charge, especially if you are a newbie.

Feel free to get in touch if you need help with Italian! I'll try to do my best with French. I must warn you, though: my writing skills are next to non-existent. Oh well, I have a whole year to work on that ;)

Edited by suzukaze on 01 January 2014 at 12:26am

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4361 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 16 of 43
20 January 2014 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
DamedesLangues wrote:
Salut suzukaze!

Did you manage to complete Assimil New French with Ease? If so, how did you find the experience. I don't know how far advanced your French has come, but finishing the French tree on Duolingo could be a way of solidifying your passive knowledge or at the very least refreshing some aspects of the language.

Personally, I love using it concurrently with Assimil.

Meilleurs voeux pour le TAC 2014 et bonne chance!

Hi there, fellow team member :)

I used (and I'm still using) Assimil for both French and Swedish. I've found that Swedish Assimil is far more difficult compared to French Assimil, I'm now around lesson 50 in both and there is no way I could only spend the suggested 30 minutes per lesson. That's the reason why I'm planning to review the whole Swedish course from the beginning, this time adding words to my Anki deck and then doing daily revisions.

French is a completely different story. Apparently I suffer from some kind of allergy to accents since...how shall I put it...I usually get them wrong -.- Accents aside, my passive skills are pretty good now. I also did a 5 months intern ship last year translating blog articles from French into Italian which helped to improve my comprehension.

I signed-up to Duolingo a long time ago for German, but my level was already too high so I stopped using it. I did however recently started to use it for French, hopefully it will be my first step to memorize those pesky accents :P

By the way, what’s your Doulingo username? I’m soifon there. Feel free to add me if you like :)

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version