Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 13
06 March 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Mr Smith wrote:
...My thinking is that memorising a lengthy book will increase my vocabulary massively as normally writers repeat the same field of words.

My concern with jumping into speaking so heavily is that I don’t have enough of a vocabulary yet to be able to really benefit from it.

Why does one have to exclude the other? You have enough time available to do a lot of things. Yes, you probably don't have enough vocabulary, yet, to carry on a conversation. You've recognized that. Go get it. I'd work on acquiring the vocabulary first for a basic conversation in Russian. Then I'd use Arekkusu's self talk exercises, post it on lang8, and get ready for a very basic conversation with a native, introducing yourself and what you enjoy doing. Yeah, probably not as exciting as reading Dostoyevsky, but if you really want to speak Russian that would be more useful than Crime and Punishment in and of itself. You'll make mistakes, hopefully get corrected, and learn.    

I advocate using multiple resources to learn a language, so I see nothing wrong with working intensely on this book, just don't do it to the exclusion of everything else because it won't teach you the language by itself. If you're going through Crime and Punishment as well as modern, non-literary, natural dialogs, vocabulary and grammar (all during the same week) that would be a good thing and you would see lots of synergy happening. Try to memorize Dostoyevsky and you'd be parroting the words without context.

As far as memorization goes- memorizing a good Russian phrasebook would probably do more for your Russian than attempting to memorize a classic book like Crime and Punishment. I couldn't even memorize a book like that in English, let alone in a second language.

Edited by iguanamon on 06 March 2013 at 5:51pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 13
06 March 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
As for shadowing, keep in mind that it usually has very little chance of carrying any advantage over to your actual speaking ability or pronunciation outside of shadowing.
Disagreed. It's perfectly natural for your speech to be better while doing any sort of exercise alone than in the real world, and this is not limited to shadowing.

OP, are you a HUGE admirer of Dostoyevsky? I won't say the idea is bad but even native speakers who memorize their favourite books tend to reread them many times first, and only typically do that as adults. (of course a child might memorize his/hir favourite 20-page book too) If you want to do this, consider this more of a cultural/spiritual/personal thing than study, and don't do this yet.

In any case, speaking is tiring. One or two hours is plenty. Read something easy, try out some GLOSS lessons, listen to music etc. LR is certainly a good idea too.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5230 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 11 of 13
09 March 2013 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
You might want to have a look at this.

Learning with Texts

It is a bit fiddly to install but the instructions are clear.

Here is a video which gives a rough overview of the software:

LWT Review

Alternatively, the same approach is used by the site "LingQ" which is more user-friendly but it is a subscription service at $10 per month. There is plenty of content (including classic literature) from the site to use, mostly with audio, and there is a large community of fellow users who can help each other should they find something in a text they can't understand. There are also apps for Apple or Android devices to use the system on the move. You may want to look up "Steve Kaufmann" on youtube - the founder of LingQ - as he has much to say regarding his experience of the input process and is also a current student of Russian.

LingQ

I too find that seeing words across different contexts really helps to solidify them in memory.

For a concrete way of learning new words and taking stock of your progress, LWT and LingQ are fantastic, though I find they can wear me down mentally over long periods of time when doing it intensely. You might also want to try reading parallel-texts for a more relaxed approach when you want to lower the intensity.

If you have books in Russian and the same books in English, I fashioned a simple method to comfortably read a novel in paper form with its English counterpart to create a makeshift parallel-text. Perhaps it is something you might find useful. Here is a link to my blog on the subject. Really need to update the blog though!

Norwegian Through Novels

People in the past have seemed to succeed in language learning through memorisation of novels but in my humble opinion, exposing yourself to varied contexts will bring much better results. Furthermore, memorising a 19th century novel might solidify in your subconscious certain patterns of speech and other archaisms which you'd then have to consciously avoid when dealing with the modern language.

I can't really recommend a schedule of how much of your study time should be committed to input or output activities, but the above info should hopefully be useful for the former. From my own experience and from the experience of people like Kaufmann, input should take most of your study time.

Edit: Here is a link to Steve Kaufmann's YouTube channel: Steve Kaufmann's Channel

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 09 March 2013 at 9:57am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5955 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 12 of 13
22 March 2013 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Mr Smith wrote:
It’s a bookish style.

Wrong. It's a literary masterpiece.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4179 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 13 of 13
24 March 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
What about shadowing/memorizing one or two chapters instead of the entire book? Then you can switch to other materials/books or whatever.

I think it's a good idea to shadow an audio book. Why not? But I would only do it as an intermediate or advanced learner.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version