Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4169 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 9
06 March 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Poems selected from Karamzin, Pushkin, Tyutchev, Lermontov, Count A. Tolstoy, Nikitin, Pleshcheyev, Nadson, and Sologub ([1917?">)

I know, I know, it's old spelling, but parallel texts in poetry? Someone else other than me must be interested!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 9
06 March 2013 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Very interesting, thanks for that link! The fact that it's old spelling makes it even more interesting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 3 of 9
06 March 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I found that one stress was wrong. зИму, not зимУ.
1 person has voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 4 of 9
07 March 2013 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link, always fun to see some old Russian spelling.

However I don't recommend learners to use old Russian to learn modern Russian.
There's a great deal of changes in spelling and many other aspects.

Part of learning a language is getting used to it through exposure.
If you get used to old Russian, you would always strive to emulate it subconsciously, it would leak into your writing, encumber your reading and even possibly influence speech (differences in declensions, stress, and old spelling).

Anyone curious about old Russian, should feel free to indulge of course.
Or if you are already proficient in Russian to a high level, (you can sight read and spell words correctly, have a high vocabulary, and are confident in declensions and conjugations), it shouldn't affect you that much.

P.S. Also personally, I think poetry makes for harder parallel text content due to frequent poetic licenses and shifting stress to fit the rhymes. But can also be great fun, if you like poetry, and somewhat new and informative, if you haven't read poetry in your target language.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 5 of 9
07 March 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I don't think any absolute beginner in Russian would seriously start out by reading Pushkin's poems (on top of that: in their original spelling!), so there's little danger in that.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4169 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 9
08 March 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
I agree with you, being a beginner in Russian myself. But I liked it so much I had to share.

This particular site has so many old books, and some of them are very good. I was astonished with the amount of books on ancient greek there, and some modern. Useful, but not for beginners, we all agree!

You should see the books on the turkish language: ottoman script and everything. The German ones have the old style letters etc.

For anyone looking into the history of languages, it's a wonderful free source.

As for Pushkin's poems, you are so right Josquin! It's part of my future goals, to eventually be able to read them in the original. As well as Dostoyevsky. It's like the prize at the end of the game, for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 7 of 9
08 March 2013 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
As for Pushkin's poems, you are so right Josquin! It's part of my future goals, to eventually be able to read them in the original. As well as Dostoyevsky. It's like the prize at the end of the game, for me.

For me, too! I just can't wait to be able to read Преступление и наказание (Crime and Punishment), Братья Карамазовы (The Brothers Karamazov), Евгений Онегин (Eugene Onegin), or Война и мир (War and Peace) in the original! Unfortunately, I'll have to read a lot of easier stuff before I can do that.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4450 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 8 of 9
08 March 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Then there are at least three of us. I also dream of the day when I can pick up one of the Russian classics and read it in the original, it won't be any time soon, I'm afraid, but it is one of my motivators for keeping up with my studies.

And thanks for the link, rennaissancemedi. I'll certainly have a look at this and other books, although I will be careful about not being influenced by old Russian spelling.

The site is interesting, but not the most userfriendly I have seen, the search function is not that great. However, I did come over this old Teach yourself modern Greek from 1962. Would be interesting to know if it is still "modern" or whether the language has evolved further since then.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version