Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 25 of 28
26 September 2013 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
I think you are spreading yourself way too thin. Job, martial arts, French, and then three ancient very difficult
languages. Latin is up there with tough living languages like Russian and Hungarian; ancient Greek is up there with
Chinese and Korean; and Sanskrit arguably is harder than any living language!

My suggestion is to just focus on one thing at a time in the "language" category. Get French to a good level first.
Then Latin. Then see where you're at to determine what your real priorities are. If you have a passion for Greek
drama or Hinduism, then learning ancient Greek or Sanskrit may make sense. Otherwise, is it just for the joy of
learning and knowing or for bragging rights?
1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4439 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 26 of 28
26 September 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
I think you are spreading yourself way too thin. Job, martial arts, French, and then three ancient very difficult
languages. Latin is up there with tough living languages like Russian and Hungarian; ancient Greek is up there with
Chinese and Korean; and Sanskrit arguably is harder than any living language!

My suggestion is to just focus on one thing at a time in the "language" category. Get French to a good level first.
Then Latin. Then see where you're at to determine what your real priorities are. If you have a passion for Greek
drama or Hinduism, then learning ancient Greek or Sanskrit may make sense. Otherwise, is it just for the joy of
learning and knowing or for bragging rights?

Who is this post directed at?

About the original topic: I agree about articles being difficult. What about Oriental languages?

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4456 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 27 of 28
26 September 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Arabic
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3835 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 28 of 28
01 January 2015 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:
I opened a thread about something like this but for Spanish speakers some time ago, but
it didn't go anywhere. I guess a list for Spanish would be very similar to what's
available for English, except that we have an edge on Romance languages. But I supposes
it ends there.

But to stay on topic, I would venture to guess that a speaker of a Slavic language
would find the other Slavic languages the easiest, but out of that bubble it would be
hard to predict what's hard or easy for them. Or is it that having a case system is a
great advantage to them (e.g. in learning languages with case systems)? I think the
process of learning one's mother tongue is so different to that of an adult that all
the grammatical features included in said language might not be readily comprehended
and thus applicable by the native speaker. For example, some Finns have told me they
find German difficult, even though their mother tongue has many cases and other
nuances.

But I might be wrong...

Being a native speaker of Italian I have this impression, speaking about romance native speakers:
- all the romance languages are a breeze for us (Italians are considered among the fastest learners of French).
- the Germanic ones are considered quite difficult. In average we don't reach a very high level of English and our accent generally sucks.
German might be the easiest on a certain degree, more difficult than English in the beginning, but much more logical afterwards. Dutch
and the scandinavian ones have weird spelling and pronunciations and are generally considered not very appealing.
- I would say that in order of difficulty we have romances, Germanic, slavic and asians. English speakers have Germanic, romances,
slavic and asians. So I guess that slavic speakers they have slavic, romances, Germanic and asians.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version