Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
LouisEST1988
United States
Joined 4124 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
07 March 2013 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
I am getting ready to start learning Spanish and have the Assimil Course in European Spanish and Latin American
Pimsleur program ....I have two questions (1) what program should I start and finish first Pimsleur would take me
about 3 to 3 and a half months and Assimil around 6-7 months ....Any advice on what program to start with first?
(2) Should I buy the new version of European Spanish for Pimsleur or will the Latin American version be just fine
since I know that there are some differences in dialects...any help on this topic would be great thank you
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 7
07 March 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
How much time do you have per day? I would overlap them in the beginning if you can.
The lessons in Assimil go pretty quickly at first, and it would be easy to do a lesson
in both courses.

Assimil Spanish also has a hard part - roughly between lessons 60 to 80 - where it
takes up a lot of time.

I'm guessing you have all three Pimsleur levels (since you're saying it would take 3
months). I would aim for:

phase 1: Assimil passive phase in conjunction with Pimsleur 1 & 2
phase 2: Assimil passive + active phase
phase 3: Finish Assimil active phase in conjunction with Pimsleur 3

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5135 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 7
07 March 2013 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I would do Pimsleur first. It is a good base. Pimsleur 3 is not really necessary, however. Assimil is a great course, but for an absolute beginner it couuld be a bit tough. Also consider doing Michel Thomas before Assimil. MT is a very quick eight hour audio course. Ideally, I think the best way to start Spanish is Pimsleur 1&2, then Michel Thomas, then Assimil, then FSI. Good luck, learning Spanish is a great journey.

Edit - K raised a good point to ask how much time per day you have. My advice would be based on 30-45 minutes a day.

Edited by James29 on 07 March 2013 at 3:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

LouisEST1988
United States
Joined 4124 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 7
07 March 2013 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Well I have about 3 hours a day during the week to study I however wasn't sure if that would be over doing it in the
start and on weekends I have about and hour in the morning and and hour in the evening each day due to work ....
Any thoughts on how I can implement a good study plan as well...thank you both for responses as well al this is
great info for idea's on how to study the language.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 7
07 March 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
¡Bienvenido al foro, LouisEST1988! Welcome to the forum!I would use Pimsleur in "hidden moments" as Barry Farber calls them. "Hidden moments" is best described as time you don't realize that you have- driving, waiting, walking, doing routine chores, etc. You'd be surprised how much time you can free up in a day for language learning.

Pimsleur brings up a lot of reactions here on the forum. Many people here despise it. I believe it is helpful in a context of using multiple resources. Since it is audio based, it frees you from your computer and sitting.

I would either do Pimsleur in the morning and Assimil in the evening or vice-versa. If you choose to utilize your hidden moments, that will free up time to do something non-course related, like lyrics training, which is a fun website that helps you learn through music. You could also have a look at the Centro Virtual Cervantes Aveteca A1 exercises. These are free, multimedia exercises and the "A1" level is for beginners, by the way, there's no English to help you!

¡Buena suerte!

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5862 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 6 of 7
07 March 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
I, too, urge that you combine Pimsleur and Assimil. In the early stages (about the first month or so) they are both fairly easy. One full lesson of each per day is reasonable I think - in the early stages. Be ready to make changes in your study schedule; it need not be written in stone.

Pimsleur's focus on pronunciation is wonderful and it teaches the "Hello, my name is..." kind of dialog that you'll need at some point.

Assimil's larger, more expansive overview of the language will move you toward other (non-conversational) knowledge of the TL, such as "The cat climbed the stairs."

:wq!

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 7 of 7
08 March 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I have to agree with what alot of people have already said: use both at the same time.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version