Joined 4064 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 81 of 131
27 June 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
I'm really glad I didn't discover this now just to realize it's been
around for several
years, because that would make me a bit pissed that I'd been missing out ;) The site
looks great. I haven't read through the entire thread here, but how do you add new
languages? By request, by popularity?

Thanks! Yes I only started on it 7 months ago, so there's no need to be annoyed :)

I've been adding languages as people ask for them, so if there's one you'd like just let
me know. The only requirements are that it's supported by google translate, and that the
word boundaries are easily detectable (which rules out Chinese, Japanese, etc.).
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 82 of 131
27 June 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
In that case I request Bulgarian! I was just despairing because I'll soon run out of
printed pages for the book I've been reading, so I was wondering what to do next. If I
can just load it into your site and save words there I'm all set!

Oh, if I look up the same word 10 times, will the system realize I'm slow and refrain
from adding duplicates?

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4064 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 83 of 131
27 June 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Actually, Bulgarian is already there. It's the last in the list: български (if you hover
the cursor over the words it shows the name of the language in English).

The system will never add duplicates of the same word, but be aware it will count "bike"
and "bikes", or "run" and "ran" as different words, despite being forms of the same root
word.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 84 of 131
27 June 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
It'd be nice to have a system for detecting variants of the same word, but i can't imagine the work that'd entail. I've just checked out the new changes in Catalan and i have to say that it's perfect, thanks!

I'd say you could apply the same rules to French. I don't think it'll really be a problem since i can't imagine anyone wanting to translate it, but something "il m'a dit" or "je n'y vais pas" might cause problems. For French i think you could always attach the apostrophe to the previous part of the word.

malbonheur
Triglot
Peru
Joined 4181 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, EnglishC1
Studies: German

Message 85 of 131
27 June 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
First, I must say how glad I am that someone created such a website. Thanks SteveRidout!

Now, I tried to add a youtube video to a novella, but I found that you've set the limit of this wonderful feature to 10000
words. Will you be expanding the word limit? the novella is quite short around 100 pages. It would be very useful.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 86 of 131
28 June 2013 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
I've been breaking books into chapters. If your book doesn't have chapters you could just divide it yourself into parts and read it that way. In the future there will supposedly be built-in support for chapters, but for now you can just break up the book by yourself :)

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 87 of 131
28 June 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
I've mentioned this on the site feedback, but I'll mention it here as well, to see what
other people think:

It would be rather cool to be able to import EPUBs directly, and in fact make Readlang
into a full-blown EPUB reader, with the added benefit of translation and the learning
features.

This isn't so much about saving the work of conversion (which isn't onerous, but it
would be nice to save a step), but EPUBs can have things like illustrations or fancy
chapter headings, etc, which it would be nice not to lose.

I had assumed EPUBs would be a lot bigger than the corresponding .txt file, but in the
case of the book I currently have uploaded, it's actually smaller. Admittedly that may
not always be the case.

I don't know how diffucult it is to code an EPUB reader, but the simple-but-effective
"Coolreader3" is open-source. (I can't remember whether Calibre is as well), so maybe
you could get inspiration there, if needed.

(I suppose then though, that people would ask you to support MOBI, and others -
however, EPUB is supposed to be an open "standard" format, and is perhaps more worthy
of support than proprietary formats).

2 persons have voted this message useful

malbonheur
Triglot
Peru
Joined 4181 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, EnglishC1
Studies: German

Message 88 of 131
29 June 2013 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I've been breaking books into chapters. If your book doesn't have
chapters you could just divide it yourself into parts and read it that way. In the
future there will supposedly be built-in support for chapters, but for now you can just
break up the book by yourself :)

I'll do that then.
montmorency wrote:
It would be rather cool to be able to import EPUBs directly, and in
fact make Readlang
into a full-blown EPUB reader, with the added benefit of translation and the learning
features.

I fully agree with that, and there is an extension for chrome, Readium at
http://readium.org/, that supports EPUB3

PS: Am I the only one for whom the sync function doesn't work anymore. Whenever I try
to sync a youtube video it only translates. And for the already synced videos the play
function doesn't work either.

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version