Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4064 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 97 of 131
29 August 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the delay, I still plan to work on chapter support but I've got sidetracked working on an open API to
allow others to make apps and games built on the words and spaced repetition system (also, I'm currently at
the end of a holiday in Croatia :-). I hope to finish the API in the next couple of weeks and then will probably
move on to look at chapters.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 98 of 131
30 August 2013 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Ah very cool! I hope you enjoy your holday :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 99 of 131
12 September 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
I've seen a few of the new additions, such as listing languages you're studying at the top of the list to make switching easier. For some reason, however, Polish is listed there. I might have clicked on it a while ago, but i don't have any documents added. Is there any way to remove languages?

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4064 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 100 of 131
12 September 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Yes, when I first added the feature it would only add languages, and never remove them. But that
should now be fixed. To update the list: add, delete or edit any of your documents and refresh the
page, only the languages for which you have books should remain in the top list.

Update:

- I've released an early version of an API which allows 3rd party apps and games built upon
Readlang's SRS: https://github.com/SteveRidout/readlang-api . I'm very willing to help out anyone
who wants to try creating something with it.

- I've been feeling guilty about not working on the chapter support that I promised you. I've given
it some thought but I'm not sure the best way to implement it yet, especially the UI, and with so
many other ideas to work on, I'm afraid I'm going to put it on hold for now. It's still something I
want to do but I don't want to give any expectation on when it'll be. Hope you understand. I'm still
very influenced by all the feedback I get but I've decided to stop promising so many things, for my
own sanity :-)

PS: Croatia was awesome, I didn't realise that they shoot Game of Thrones there, I actually saw
Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) having lunch in a little plaza in Dubrovink!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 101 of 131
14 September 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
I found something that might not be an easy fix: there was a word at the end of a line that i wanted to highlight but adding the border around the text pushed it to the next line, highlighting the word that came before it (since it was now pushed to the end of the line). I'm not sure if that makes any sense, it was something like this:

This is a sentence.
So is this.

When highlighting sentence, the border caused it to go to the next line and the word "a" was highlighted:

This is [a]
sentence. So is this.

nakrian keegiat
Diglot
Groupie
Thailand
Joined 4689 days ago

70 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Russian

Message 102 of 131
15 September 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I just spent a few minutes trying it out in Russian and I'm very impressed. Do you think you can add Thai? A group of us are trying to get Steve to add Thai to LingQ but he doesn't seem interested so far. There is a similar project being developed but I don't know how far it will go. I would gladly pay a small monthly subscription or donate for Thai support.

The main difficulty with Thai for programs like these is that there aren't spaces between words but a few people have created parsers that work pretty well. Ideally you could implement one with the dictionary, but if that would be too much work then it would be pretty easy to use the parser and then cut and paste the text with spaces between the words into readlang, so it should work if you had a dictionary for it.

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4064 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 103 of 131
15 September 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I found something that might not be an easy fix: there was a word at the
end of a line that i wanted to highlight but adding the border around the text pushed
it to the next line, highlighting the word that came before it (since it was now pushed
to the end of the line). I'm not sure if that makes any sense, it was something like
this:

This is a sentence.
So is this.

When highlighting sentence, the border caused it to go to the next line and the word
"a" was highlighted:

This is [a]
sentence. So is this.

I've just managed to reproduce this with Firefox, doesn't seem to happen in Chrome.
I'll investigate tomorrow.

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4064 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 104 of 131
15 September 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
nakrian keegiat wrote:
I just spent a few minutes trying it out in Russian and I'm very
impressed. Do you think you can add Thai? A group of us are trying to get Steve to add
Thai to LingQ but he doesn't seem interested so far. There is a similar project being
developed but I don't know how far it will go. I would gladly pay a small monthly
subscription or donate for Thai support.

The main difficulty with Thai for programs like these is that there aren't spaces between
words but a few people have created parsers that work pretty well. Ideally you could
implement one with the dictionary, but if that would be too much work then it would be
pretty easy to use the parser and then cut and paste the text with spaces between the
words into readlang, so it should work if you had a dictionary for it.

Exactly, the lack of spaces is what's prevented me adding Thai, Chinese and Japanese so
far. I just searched for information on this and the general approach seems to be to use
a dictionary of words and work through the text looking for matches. It sounds doable.
Could you point me to the best parsers that you've found? No promises on implementing but
I'll definitely investigate it a little more.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version