Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 105 of 131
16 September 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Also, i was wondering if you could remove the confirmation box when clicking on "Share". I think clicking the Share button should directly share/unshare the text :)
1 person has voted this message useful

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4068 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 106 of 131
16 September 2013 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Also, i was wondering if you could remove the confirmation box when
clicking on "Share". I think clicking the Share button should directly share/unshare the
text :)

Ah yes, I hadn't forgotten! I've done this now and it definitely feels nicer. The only
problem is that for now it's missing the box to share on Facebook/Twitter, although maybe
for some people that's a plus :-)

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4068 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 107 of 131
16 September 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I found something that might not be an easy fix: there was a word at the
end of a line that i wanted to highlight but adding the border around the text pushed
it to the next line, highlighting the word that came before it (since it was now pushed
to the end of the line). I'm not sure if that makes any sense, it was something like
this:

This is a sentence.
So is this.

When highlighting sentence, the border caused it to go to the next line and the word
"a" was highlighted:

This is [a]
sentence. So is this.

This is now fixed, by using "outline" instead of "border", and as a side effect the
corners can no longer be rounded. I may use "box-shadow" in future where supported
which is a little more fancy but this won't show on older browsers, like my Android
phone. (I'm talking about CSS in case anyone is lost ;-)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 108 of 131
16 September 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Great, that's perfect! I've never used the share buttons and don't really know if that's important to others, but there's probably another place to put it if you want.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 109 of 131
13 January 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
I like your site too.

One feature that came to mind as I was going through one of the pieces was, it would be nice if there were a
second level of definition where the reader could select a "better" translation. The user interface that came to
mind was that of http://translate.google.com. That is, google translate offers it's default translation,
but if one select the word, one can say, "this one is better".

I think that would help with words that have many senses, and some perhaps more figurative than others.

Piggybacking off that idea, if the default translation of a word was generated by a computer, then it would be
nice if the translation later selected by a registered user would become the "default" translation.

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4068 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 110 of 131
15 January 2014 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi Luke, thanks for the feedback.

I completely agree but the problem is that the Google Translate API doesn't provide me with the alternative
translations they present on their website.

Did you notice the dictionary in the sidebar which provides alternate translations? This works decently although
you need to manually type the better translations yourself to learn with the flashcards.

I've been thinking about crowd sourcing better translations as you suggest, although the stream of possible ideas
for Readlang is never ending, so I can't make any promises.

PS: I'm working on features for teachers to assign texts to a group of students at the moment, it's going to get
tested out with some actual classes over the next few weeks, if any teachers are interested in joining this trial
please let me know.

PPS: Also, along similar lines to classes, I'm curious whether public or private groups with a commenting feature
would be of interest to anyone? It could be used to host an online book club for example and comments could be
used to help each other understand the story.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4437 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 111 of 131
15 January 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Do I understand correctly that you need to find a text by yourself first?

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4068 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 112 of 131
15 January 2014 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
For the more popular languages there are shared links and texts within Library->Public, and a source of popular websites with reading materials in Library->Links. But this library is quite limited and it's probably best for you to look elsewhere for texts which really interest you. Input texts using one of these methods:

- Use the Chrome extension or bookmarklet to read text on any (well, almost!) other webpage: Web Reader and Importer

- Clicking the "Add Document" button on readlang.com and upload plain text. I like to use the program Calibre to convert ePub books or books that I've bought on Kindle to plain text to read on Readlang.

Good luck, and please let me know if you have any problems or if anything is confusing.

Edited by SteveRidout on 15 January 2014 at 3:43pm

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version