Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 89 of 131
29 June 2013 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
It'd also be nice to have a little bar or something up top or on the side of the main page with a list of languages you have texts in to facilitate switching between languages. You could maybe list languages that have articles in your library or add an option on each language page (a checkbox or something) to show that language in the bar.

EDIT: Also, clicking on "Share" should immediately share the file, i don't think there's any need for the pop-up confirmation box. If you want to unshare it, just click the "Share" button again. I also think the buttons look much nicer than the dialog box ;)

Edited by Crush on 29 June 2013 at 10:07am

3 persons have voted this message useful

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4075 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 90 of 131
30 June 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Very sorry about breaking the YouTube Sync and Play options, they are now working again.

As for supporting longer texts to sync with YouTube videos, the reason for the limit is that
the scrolling performance becomes gradually worse with longer texts, I could optimise it of
course but it's not that high a priority right now. As was suggested breaking up into
chapters is the way to go for now.

Chapter and ePub support is something I'm very keen to do. Thanks for mentioning those
existing reader libraries, I'll take a look into them first to get ideas.

Actually, the reason ePub files can be smaller than text files is that they are compressed.
In fact, if you rename an ePub file to add a .zip extension at the end you can look inside
to see the uncompressed contents - for geeks only ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4075 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 91 of 131
30 June 2013 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
It'd also be nice to have a little bar or something up top or on the side of the
main page with a list of languages you have texts in to facilitate switching between
languages. You could maybe list languages that have articles in your library or add an option
on each language page (a checkbox or something) to show that language in the bar.

EDIT: Also, clicking on "Share" should immediately share the file, i don't think there's any
need for the pop-up confirmation box. If you want to unshare it, just click the "Share" button
again. I also think the buttons look much nicer than the dialog box ;)

I agree on both counts. Thanks again!

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6179 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 92 of 131
30 June 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I believe it has been mentioned before, but the behavior of the words to the right of
a text that you are reading resetting just doesn't seem right. Let me explain.

I am learning latin. Latin doesn't have a built in dictionary yet, and google's
translation for latin is still in alpha. I am reading a text and click words to
figure out what they mean. Some of the translations are terrible, so I pull out the
gigantic oxford latin dictionary to look up a word. I find the precise meaning given
the context and edit the word. It now shows a proper translation when I click on it.
If I go back to the text, everything has reset. There are now no words to the right
of this page, which would make sense to be able to show, and clicking on the new word
again shows the default google translation. I realize that I can go to the word study
or learn section to see saved words, including their edited translations, but I don't
really care about that too much. I just want to read, right? And resetting that each
session seems to take away from that, since especially for a low-intermediate to
intermediate learner, there are going to be sections of text you read multiple times
before moving on. Or, I sometimes go back to the beginning before moving on since by
the end of a chapter I usually have a little more confidence with the text, and it
will make more sense.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 93 of 131
01 July 2013 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
I dabbled with ReadLang when you started it. But I have been too pre-occupied with other things to get back to it. I found some time today to give it a good try, and I am very impressed. I really like it. The translations in Dutch and Spanish are very good. And the interface is very innovative and very usable. You really did some thinking outside the traditional box. I was so impressed that I made a donation. I appreciate your work. Well done!

3 persons have voted this message useful

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4075 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 94 of 131
01 July 2013 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
I believe it has been mentioned before, but the behavior of the words to the
right of

figure out what they mean. Some of the translations are terrible, so I pull out the
gigantic oxford latin dictionary to look up a word. I find the precise meaning given
the context and edit the word. It now shows a proper translation when I click on it.
If I go back to the text, everything has reset. There are now no words to the right
of this page, which would make sense to be able to show, and clicking on the new word
again shows the default google translation. I realize that I can go to the word study
or learn section to see saved words, including their edited translations, but I don't
really care about that too much. I just want to read, right? And resetting that each
session seems to take away from that, since especially for a low-intermediate to
intermediate learner, there are going to be sections of text you read multiple times
before moving on. Or, I sometimes go back to the beginning before moving on since by
the end of a chapter I usually have a little more confidence with the text, and it
will make more sense.

I agree completely, I'll work on improving this.

tommus wrote:
I dabbled with ReadLang when you started it. But I have been too pre-occupied with
other things to get back to it. I found some time today to give it a good try, and I am very
impressed. I really like it. The translations in Dutch and Spanish are very good. And the interface
is very innovative and very usable. You really did some thinking outside the traditional box. I was
so impressed that I made a donation. I appreciate your work. Well done!

Thanks, that made my day!

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4075 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 95 of 131
11 July 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
I believe it has been mentioned before, but the behavior of the words
to the right of

will make more sense.

I've just updated the site so that it will try to translate using your previously created
definitions first before using Google Translate.

(The word list in the reader page still resets each session for now, I'll keep thinking
about this.)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 96 of 131
28 August 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Hey Steve, i was just wondering if there'd been any work done on this lately? In particularly i'd really like to see the handling of chapters added in :)

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version