Language Learning Forum : Polyglots (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
79 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 9 10 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5047 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 41 of 79
24 March 2013 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Benny would be the first to tell you- "Do it your way". He's not some sort of "language god" dispensing commandments from on high- "Thou shalt do it my way", or else!". Quite the contrary. What he does, in my opinion is show people what you can do in a short amount of time to learn a language well enough to communicate with native-speakers in their language. His blog has helped a lot of people in both motivational and practical aspects of learning a language.

His most recent Arabic adventure was quite interesting. He went from zero to an intermediate level in conversational Egyptian Arabic, while living in Brazil and then went to Egypt traveling the country, meeting and talking to native-speakers. He had a unique and valuable travel experience that would be unavailable to those of us who can't "get by" in Egyptian Arabic. I'd be very happy if I had his level in an unrelated language in such a short time, even if I "uhmmmed" and "errrred" a lot. That's what he's trying to show people. He didn't learn Egyptian Arabic because "it has a cool script", or "it's such a beautiful language", or "because of its difficulty". He learned it so he could talk to Egyptians and travel in their country.

Yes, Benny sells a product, but you really have to look for the links to buy it. He doesn't do a hard sell, with large banners or ads that you must un-click in order to view the content at all.

While I don't follow all of his precepts, he's not my guru, I do believe his log serves well in inspiring people to get off their duffs and start using their language in a practical way instead of just "studying". The three month thing, well, in my experience a deadline concentrates the mind wonderfully. Saying, I want to learn a language "someday" allows you to put off that "someday" indefinitely. A funny thing about "someday", it isn't the day after "Saturday". In fact, "someday" isn't on any calendar I've ever seen.

Edited by iguanamon on 24 March 2013 at 2:06pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 42 of 79
24 March 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Zundung wrote:

I think tiger only emphasize the fact that there are certain languages which are more
complex than others if you're a speaker of language XY. Or do you think Benny is some
sort of Messiah who can see the matrix and bust myths about complex (avoiding the word
difficult on purpose) languages. I'm Czech. It's considerably easier for me to learn
Russian than for a Swedish speaker. But If I and Nils decide to learn Arabic. We may
both struggle with the new concept of dual.

Benny isn't busting any myths, he's only pointing out that it's just a bit more
difficult and will take a bit more effort, but that all these languages are more human.
It's not something life-threatening. And there are many things those languages don't
have or are simpler, so you don't have to learn them. For example, Russian has six
cases but no articles. You can very easily tell noun gender. You do not have to learn
many different tenses. (conjugation can be a bit tricky because of verb stems and some
weird phonetics, but it's not that scary on the whole - aspect choice is much scarier
and it's a pain to remember which preposition goes with the verb, but that's something
you will encounter in any language).

In the end, those things may mean it will take a little longer to learn that language.
The only thing that in my opinion complicates Chinese a lot is their writing system and
getting used to tonal pronunciation (if you don't come from a language that has the
same phenomenon). But I've learned three different alphabets (Latin, Cyrillic, Hebrew)
and those were the least of my concerns. Vocabulary acquisition is more difficult
because you don't have so many cognates, but then, you will have to learn a truckload
of vocabulary. In the end, you're talking delays of maybe one or two months to adapt to
those new principles if you do it right. If I wanted to achieve B1-B2 level (which is
where my definition of fluency starts), and I was immersed full-time, I wouldn't expect
to take more than 6 months in any language, not even Chinese. In some I would expect
much less (Spanish or Italian) because I speak French already. C2-perfection takes much
longer but isn't relevant for my purposes and it isn't for Benny's either, he's fine in
B2-C1 except in those languages he has used professionally (Spanish, French). In the
end, that's nuts and bolts and nothing you can't overcome. And passion for a certain
culture drops the barrier even more.

What is conjugation but adding or subtracting a few letters anyway?

Quote:
I don't think my language is the most difficult of them all. But I definitely
don't think it's less difficult than Spanish for a native speaker of Romance or
Germanic languages. You said it yourself you don't speak any Chinese yet, so what
you're trying to prove is that Chinese may be easy as Benny says it is, because it is
more acceptable than saying it's super difficult.

How easy does Benny say it is? In my mind he's stating reasons why people need to worry
less and stop making mountains out of molehills. And there are plenty things in Chinese
that are easy. He isn't making any explicit comparison because it's all too context-
dependent to really do so.

For the record, the toughest language for me is FRENCH. :)

Quote:
The different mentality of Chinese as non-Indo-European language simply means
that even though your pronunciation is top notch and you know how to build sentences.
You may get weird looks from natives for using certain 100% correct phrase in absolute
inappropriate context.

This happens to me in Russian too. That's not unique to Chinese.

Quote:
DK. Mandarin Chinese makes Modern Hebrew look like a child's play. One article
from a A2 level speaker doesn't change a damn thing about it.

A professional evaluated him as B1 after three months, I'm gonna go with that. Maybe he
is less good at writing but then he doesn't need that skill so much. And B1 in three
months is still more than you are achieving ;) The point is he was working to a
deadline. If that's not C1 then it's B1, it's still good result through hard work. He
isn't promising you anything, like stated the 3 months has something to do with his
lifestyle and SETTING A DEADLINE. There is no guarantee anywhere in his products that
you will reach C1 in three months.

Nowhere. Nowhere. Maybe there is in the Hungarian edition, but I don't yet speak that
;)

5 persons have voted this message useful

Zundung
Belize
Joined 4053 days ago

10 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 43 of 79
24 March 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
This is silly. You're saying noun cases are easier than articles? I've never found the English articles a challenge. I have been playing around with Swedish too and all and saw no big difference there either. Of course as you know the definite article is a suffix (flickan - the girl) and there is a difference in the usage from English (we don't use "my the best friend" as opposed to "min bästa vän".

Now the grammatical cases of Finnish may be a lot more confusing even to me as I can perceive the idea and even use the ones we share (accusative), but it's a crapload of stuff to remember at first.

Actually what I find even worse would be the Welsh mutation system for example. But sure. Anything can be learned.

Now back to Benny. If the ultimate goal of its readers is to go to the local Chinese restaurant and order a meal. That's fine. However that's not where fluency begins.

"And B1 in three
months is still more than you are achieving ;)"

I don't see why this has to be personal. I just don't display all the languages, because my current focus is German. However I did achieve a B1 in Spanish in 3 months.
How? I used Pimsleur I II and III, but went a little faster later on and then I read the whole Dos Mundos book. I tried to be very active on internet forums and played "La persona debajo de mí" a lot. Watched a few movies. And voila. I speak it at B1.

Now I didn't have to write this to prove myself. Okay. Now Benny does this. That's why his Arabic is full of eh ehm errrr ehm eh. Why show this to the world? Why not showing a more advanced Arabic later on? But hey, it's not my blog. He can do whatever he want.

"This happens to me in Russian too. That's not unique to Chinese."
I'm tired of trying to explain it. It takes years, because you have to encounter the right situation where the sentence can be explained to you.

Now I could say it's something similar as English speakers using cultural references. If you haven't watched the particular movie or read the book, you won't get it.
But you can still speak native like English without knowing who Carol Anne was.

You can't however speak native like Mandarin without knowing when to use a certain word as a verb instead of using it as a verb + another noun.

I'm done. If you want to win this fight. Win it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5854 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 44 of 79
24 March 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
A professional evaluated him as B1 after three months, I'm gonna go with that.

it's a good thing you believe that. I don't. maybe it was a sincere evaluation, maybe not (networking). all I can say is, he was too used to make things "awesomer" than they really were and based on that, his posts, his reactions and, above all, his videos I do believe he didn't have enough information about mandarin to say most people who previously wrote about that language were and are wrong

I reckon mandarin isn't that hard when it comes to tones, or at least they aren't that important at first, and some people do exaggerate saying it's worst than it really is, kinda scare tactics, but still I don't find very useful going from one extreme to the other, specially if the info comes from a newcomer trying to get more web traffic using "awesomer" words
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 45 of 79
24 March 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
getting used to tonal pronunciation (if you don't come from a language that has the same phenomenon).
Isn't it like saying "if your native language has an r sound, you won't have problems with the French/Spanish/English r?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 46 of 79
24 March 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
tarvos wrote:
getting used to tonal pronunciation (if you don't come
from a language that has the same phenomenon).
Isn't it like saying "if your
native language has an r sound, you won't have problems with the French/Spanish/English
r?

I was not thinking about Swedish but about other tonal languages such as Thai. In that
case you might be familiar with the concept of tone, even though you might need some
adjustment to the Chinese version.

Zundung wrote:
This is silly. You're saying noun cases are easier than articles? I've
never found the English articles a challenge. I have been playing around with Swedish
too and all and saw no big difference there either. Of course as you know the definite
article is a suffix (flickan - the girl) and there is a difference in the usage
from English (we don't use "my the best friend" as opposed to "min bästa vän".

Jesus christ you are a terrible reader. No, what I am saying is that even if there are
things that are more complicated in any language there are also things that are
simpler. (no articles = simple). That doesn't equate them in any sense, usually
complicated things in one are made up for by simpler things in another area. That is
not a statement on whether articles are complicated to understand.

Quote:
Actually what I find even worse would be the Welsh mutation system for example.
But sure. Anything can be learned.

Not familiar with Welsh. I know some Breton however and the only difference between
mutations and conjugations is that you change a word at the beginning and not at the
end. It's still just one letter you change, why is it harder to memorise that the first
letter changes than that the last letter changes (and furthermore usually to some
phonetic rule such as voicing, devoicing, or spirantization...) Nope, not a big deal.

Sure it takes some getting used to, but it also takes getting used to using Ubuntu
instead of Linux or playing bass guitar instead of the guitar. What's the difference
again?

Quote:
Now back to Benny. If the ultimate goal of its readers is to go to the local
Chinese restaurant and order a meal. That's fine. However that's not where fluency
begins.

B1 is more than tourist level. I can do a lot with my B1-B2 Russian. I can do a lot
with my B2 French. B1 is pretty conversational, actually.

Quote:
I don't see why this has to be personal. I just don't display all the languages,
because my current focus is German. However I did achieve a B1 in Spanish in 3 months.
How? I used Pimsleur I II and III, but went a little faster later on and then I read
the whole Dos Mundos book. I tried to be very active on internet forums and played "La
persona debajo de mí" a lot. Watched a few movies. And voila. I speak it at B1.

Now I didn't have to write this to prove myself. Okay. Now Benny does this. That's why
his Arabic is full of eh ehm errrr ehm eh. Why show this to the world? Why not showing
a more advanced Arabic later on? But hey, it's not my blog. He can do whatever he want.

Because he is tracking his improvement on his blog this way. He is showing that fluency
is not a magic thing but you achieve it step by step.

Quote:
I'm tired of trying to explain it. It takes years, because you have to encounter the
right situation where the sentence can be explained to you.

Now I could say it's something similar as English speakers using cultural references.
If you haven't watched the particular movie or read the book, you won't get it.

You can't however speak native like Mandarin without knowing when to use a certain word
as a verb instead of using it as a verb + another noun.

Really? People have suddenly become dumb and making a grammar mistake now leads to
natives saying error error does not compute?

Edited by tarvos on 24 March 2013 at 8:32pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Zundung
Belize
Joined 4053 days ago

10 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 47 of 79
24 March 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Serpent wrote:
tarvos wrote:
getting used to tonal pronunciation (if you don't come
from a language that has the same phenomenon).
Isn't it like saying "if your
native language has an r sound, you won't have problems with the French/Spanish/English
r?

I was not thinking about Swedish but about other tonal languages such as Thai. In that
case you might be familiar with the concept of tone, even though you might need some
adjustment to the Chinese version.

Zundung wrote:
This is silly. You're saying noun cases are easier than articles? I've
never found the English articles a challenge. I have been playing around with Swedish
too and all and saw no big difference there either. Of course as you know the definite
article is a suffix (flickan - the girl) and there is a difference in the usage
from English (we don't use "my the best friend" as opposed to "min bästa vän".

Jesus christ you are a terrible reader. No, what I am saying is that even if there are
things that are more complicated in any language there are also things that are
simpler. (no articles = simple). That doesn't equate them in any sense, usually
complicated things in one are made up for by simpler things in another area. That is
not a statement on whether articles are complicated to understand.

Quote:
Actually what I find even worse would be the Welsh mutation system for example.
But sure. Anything can be learned.

Not familiar with Welsh. I know some Breton however and the only difference between
mutations and conjugations is that you change a word at the beginning and not at the
end. It's still just one letter you change, why is it harder to memorise that the first
letter changes than that the last letter changes (and furthermore usually to some
phonetic rule such as voicing, devoicing, or spirantization...) Nope, not a big deal.

Sure it takes some getting used to, but it also takes getting used to using Ubuntu
instead of Linux or playing bass guitar instead of the guitar. What's the difference
again?

Quote:
Now back to Benny. If the ultimate goal of its readers is to go to the local
Chinese restaurant and order a meal. That's fine. However that's not where fluency
begins.

B1 is more than tourist level. I can do a lot with my B1-B2 Russian. I can do a lot
with my B2 French. B1 is pretty conversational, actually.

Quote:
I don't see why this has to be personal. I just don't display all the languages,
because my current focus is German. However I did achieve a B1 in Spanish in 3 months.
How? I used Pimsleur I II and III, but went a little faster later on and then I read
the whole Dos Mundos book. I tried to be very active on internet forums and played "La
persona debajo de mí" a lot. Watched a few movies. And voila. I speak it at B1.

Now I didn't have to write this to prove myself. Okay. Now Benny does this. That's why
his Arabic is full of eh ehm errrr ehm eh. Why show this to the world? Why not showing
a more advanced Arabic later on? But hey, it's not my blog. He can do whatever he want.

Because he is tracking his improvement on his blog this way. He is showing that fluency
is not a magic thing but you achieve it step by step.

Quote:
I'm tired of trying to explain it. It takes years, because you have to encounter the
right situation where the sentence can be explained to you.

Now I could say it's something similar as English speakers using cultural references.
If you haven't watched the particular movie or read the book, you won't get it.

You can't however speak native like Mandarin without knowing when to use a certain word
as a verb instead of using it as a verb + another noun.

Really? People have suddenly become dumb and making a grammar mistake now leads to
natives saying error error does not compute?

You always take my words out of context.

I didn't learn Welsh, but the mutation changes the first consonant sound and it seemed a little bit complicated the first and last day I was reading about it. You can get used to it.

I didn't say B1 is a tourist level. But many of Benny's readers want to achieve similar goals. Only to communicate and then move on to something else.
On the other hand. I don't think he's B1 in Mandarin. And I don't think he's C2 in Spanish or French. "A professional evaluated his level" - Yes. And I played for FC Barcelona.

And finally. I was only trying to prove a point about the Chinese grammar. But again and again you ignore the facts. As a non-speaker of Chinese, you may find his progress amazing. But you don't hear him repeating the same 100 words over and over.

You're B1-B2 in Russian? Congrats. You're better than me. But now I see why you said that thing about the Russian grammar. B2 isn't advanced fluency.

Good luck

EDIT: This thread is nothing but OT. It should get locked or something.

Edited by Zundung on 24 March 2013 at 9:20pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4500 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 48 of 79
24 March 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Zundung wrote:
EDIT: This thread is nothing but OT. It should get locked or something.

No, it should not, because YOU are one of the people making it this way. I created the thread to discuss about his mission with Arabic, not the 3 months title or the Chinese one.

You haven't commented one single line on the Arabic mission, so instead of closing the thread, you should discuss about it's theme or just leave, deleting your posts on your way out.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 24 March 2013 at 9:42pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version