Diglot
United States
Joined 5419 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 1 of 12
11 March 2013 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
I did a search here, to see what people here thought of this method and was genuinely surprised that when not a
single result came up!

I was actually introduced to this by a Japanese teacher. Take any short audio clip at your level to get used to the
exercise, then move to L+1, preferably one that has a transcript, such as a scene from a movie (you can find .srt
subtitle files easily online) or a podcast.

Listen to the clip and write down everything you hear. Don't worry if you only write down a few letters or skip entire
words/ phrases, just make a space big enough to fill in the rest later and keep going. Repeat the process as many
times as needed to get all the words down, you'll find that you understand more and more as you keep listening.
When you're done, check the transcript to see how well you did.

This is a great exercise to build focused listening comprehension, as well as practising spelling in your L2 and
writing sentences that you KNOW are grammatically correct! When I was taking that Japanese class, my listening
improved by leaps and bounds, and my speed got to the point where I was not only writing in hiragana and
katakana as I listened, but kanji as well! Nowadays, I'm using this with Dutch, which is even easier because I have
been writing roman letters since I learned HOW to write in the first place, though I do get spelling wrong
sometimes!

What are some thoughts about doing dictation exercises? Does anyone find this useful? Anyone do anything
similar, but just never mentioned it on the forum before?
5 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5230 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 2 of 12
11 March 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
The method in the following link isn't exactly the same but I it could give you some ideas.

Scriptorium Thread
2 persons have voted this message useful

FadedStardust
Diglot
United States
Joined 5419 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 3 of 12
11 March 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
The method in the following link isn't exactly the same but I it could give you some
ideas.

Scriptorium Thread

Interesting! It seems to be a similar - but completely different - approach, I think these could very well be
complimentary to one another. Thanks for linking me to that thread.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 12
11 March 2013 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
I have written in my log about listening closely to extremely short passages and trying to write them down exactly as you hear them in some kind of sound writing (homebrewed or IPA). But here you choose the text and you decide how many times you have to listen to it. Something similar could be relevant a level higher, where you try to follow the official spelling. The big difference to the kind of dictation we had in school is that there the teacher just repeated the text once, and if you hadn't got it then then you had a problem. So that kind of dictation was not meant as a learning tool, more more like a control tool to check your comprehension and your spelling abilities. Nothing wrong in that, but you should just be totally clear about the purpose.

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4469 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 12
11 March 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I am using this method quite often.
For example in French, it is a good way to check your understanding (and using) of grammar - French has lot of its grammar "hidden" when spoken.

For all languages, this method works because it slows you down and get you to listen to details. In my case, I am good at getting the gist, perhaps even too good. My listening comprehension isn't usually problem on its own. But I need something where I have to listen and think about every single word - otherwise, listening doesn't help me in acquiring new words and grammar, I am simply skipping too much.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 12
11 March 2013 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
I suspect it's an important reason why people in Belarus do know some Belarusian, despite the limited exposure/usefulness and despite the fact that it's taught the way Russian is (which is everyone's native language).

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4477 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 12
11 March 2013 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
I find dictation very useful because it checks not just whether you get the meaning of a sentence (which is often quite possible while missing a few words) but whether you really heard every bit of the language. It also helps you practice going from listening to spelling, which will help you in picking up unknown words or expressions from audio (hear something, make a conclusion about how it's probably spelled, then look it up to be sure).

Edited by tastyonions on 11 March 2013 at 12:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4170 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 8 of 12
11 March 2013 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
I completely agree with tastyonions. It's a standard thing in greek elementary schools anyway, so I am familiar with dictation and convinced on its advantages.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version