Diglot
United States
Joined 7017 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 12
11 March 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
When I was about 10, the teacher had a fondness for "sentence dictation". It wasn't exactly fun, but it rigorous and I think helpful. In brings every detail, every punctuation mark, every letter under the microscope.

It seems to me that one could also do dictation with Assimil as another variation on how to use the course. It would be all target language.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4477 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 12
11 March 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
That is actually when I started using dictation: my first step with a new Assimil lesson was to take dictation from it to see how much of it I could hear correctly. And I would also do it occasionally with lessons that I went back and reviewed.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5372 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 11 of 12
11 March 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I do it quite a lot, mainly because I find it quite convenient. I don't know how useful it is, but I find it fascinating, that no matter how intensively or how many times I listen to something, when I come to do it as a dictation, the additional focus (presumably) means that I suddenly "get" a lot more of it.

I also find it worrying, that sometimes I can produce a pretty accurate phonetic record of what was said and yet still not be able to interpret it until I read the text, even though it should have been perfectly transparnt.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 12 of 12
14 March 2013 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
It's the ultimate active listening. I used to transcribe podcasts and series for which I didn't have transcripts (Japanese and French). Écoute is slow enough to make transcription possible enough for beginners.

When I transcribed a podcast like Écoute, I understood a lot more by transcribing what I'd heard than if I had if I'd just listened. The disadvatage was that it took a -really- long time to get because I had to listen a few times. Another disadvatage was that there were usually a lot of holes where I just couldn't filter out what was said. But still, a transcription with a few holes was still a big accomplishment at the beginner stage I was at.

It was also fun to google for words and idioms that I could hear but couldn't understand and even with my spelling errors, the words/sentences were usually accurate enough to get a hit. I still think this kind of active "detective work" is actually a lot more fun than just listening to learning materials over and over.

For beginners, it trains active listening. For the more advanced, it's probably a great way to check grammar and spelling, but I don't use this method now that I can write/ produce French. I always just go to lang-8.

Edit: for French I just found La Dictée, a site, a little bit difficult to navigate, but the stories are nice and short and above all, the "lectrice" dictates very clearly. It's pleasant just to listen to it.

Edited by Sunja on 16 March 2013 at 7:01pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version