Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 5
13 March 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
What language courses, and books, do colleges and universities use ? I know that my old college used Rus' A Comprehensive Russian Course, but I'm not sure what they used for other languages. The Routledge Intensive courses seem geered towards universities, but I don't know if any use them.

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6440 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
13 March 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
I know that Swedish Universities for some reason use Colloquial Chinese for Chinese. Genki is used for Japanese.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 5
13 March 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
It's a mixed bag. Just running a search on Google using "[insert language name]", "course" and "syllabus" I got the following examples:

- Estonian 2012/2013 (Uppsala Universitet (Sweden))

Introduction to Estonian - Estniskans grunder wrote:
Reading List
Raag, Raimo. Lär känna estniskan. En introduktion till estniska språket.: Andra omarbetade och utvidgade upplagan. Uppsala: Institutionen för moderna språk, 2007

- King's College London - Polish course descriptions

Polish level 1 (pg. 3 of syllabus) wrote:
Textbook and exercise book:
· Malolepsza M. and A. Szymkiewicz Hurra!!! Po polsku 1, Podrecznik studenta, Prolog, Krakow
· Malolepsza M. and A. Szymkiewicz Hurra!!! Po polsku 1, Zeszyt cwiczen, Prolog, Krakow

- Cornell University Russian Program

RUSSA 1122 Syllabus wrote:
Materials

Note: These materials cover Russian 1121 and Russian 1122

Books:
Beginning Russian, Second revised edition by Leed, Nakhimovsky, and Nakhimovsky, Slavica Publishers

5000 Russian Words by Leed and S. Paperno, Slavica Publishers

What I Saw by Boris Zhitkov, annotated by Leed and L. Paperno, Slavica Publishers

Interactive video (online):
Beginning Russian Through Film, (BRTF under On-line course materials in the navigation bar on the left). These Lessons, based on authentic Russian movies, were created by Slava Paperno and Viktoria Tsimberov, with editorial assistance from Matthew Huss. They can be used on the multimedia computers in the language lab in Noyes Lodge. You may also be able to use your own computer (Windows or Macintosh) from your room.

Online dictionary:
The Russian Dictionary Tree (under On-line course materials), a greatly expanded online version of 5000 Russian Words

Online Grammar:
Beginning Russian Grammar (On-line course materials), a conveniently organized online version of the grammar sections in Beginning Russian by Leed et al.

Google Translation links:
Provided in the Syllabus

Online Self-Test Quizzes:
Beginning Russian Quizzes online at the COLLT site: click About COLLT or COLLT Login under On-line course materials.

Online Web Audio Lab:
Beginning Russian with WAL online at the WAL site: click About WAL or WAL Login under On-line course materials. Use your login name and password from last semester.

2 persons have voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4447 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 4 of 5
14 March 2013 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Slava Paperno at Cornell also created an excellent course for intermediate students which is built around an adaptation of the early Soviet comic novel 'The Twelve Chairs' by Ilf and Petrov. It's entertaining, and great for vocabulary building. Also, there are at least two film versions of the novel, so you could watch them on Youtube in tandem with doing the course.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 5
14 March 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
What language courses, and books, do colleges and universities use ? I know that my old college used Rus' A Comprehensive Russian Course, but I'm not sure what they used for other languages. The Routledge Intensive courses seem geered towards universities, but I don't know if any use them.

From my own experience:

Russian (Högskolan på Gotland, 1998/2006-2007) - Intensivryska (Erik Fält), Russian for beginners (Y. G. Ovsiyenko), Møde i Petersborg - Svidanie v Peterburge (in Danish; Birgitte Hertz, Hanne Leervad & Henrik Lærkes), Modern rysk grammatik (Lennart Wikland)

Mandarin (Lund University, 2007-2010) - no textbook, no grammar, no nothing, apart from dialogues and shorter texts we had to download. I don't know if the teachers had created the material on the spot, hired natives to record it or (least likely) bought the material somewhere and chopped up the dialogues for us.

Esperanto (Stockholm University 2010) - http://www.lernu.net

Portuguese (Stockholm University 2010-2011) Portugues XXI (Ana Tavares), volume 1 consists of a textbook+CD (approximately 1 hour) and a book filled with exercises (each book can be bought separately). ISBN 978-972-757-541-1. Everything is in Portuguese. Instructions, grammar explanations etc. We also used additional compendiums on grammar, pronunciation etc.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 14 March 2013 at 11:48pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version