Belgium
Joined 4052 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 17 of 408
21 March 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
ZH

Studied my HSK4 Skritter queue. Studied HSK5 vocab + list of 2300 basic characters
(Anki). Also studied (Pleco) 20-30 words underlined on the days before.

Continued 王小波's 黄金时代 chapter 3.

Practiced shadowing (x-2 and x-3) with Chinese Learn Online lessons 208 and 207.
Practiced reading aloud with lesson 205.

FI

Reviewed vocab queue with LWT (there were only 15 words). Quickly added another short
article about the situation in Cyprus.

LA

Reviewed vocab queue with Learning With Texts (there were only 7 words). Shadowed
Caesar I.9-11. Then imported and read the same chapters in Learning With Texts.

1 person has voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4052 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 18 of 408
22 March 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
ZH

As usual I studied some vocabulary: HSK4 (review), HSK5 (review + 6 new words),
characters (review + 2 new characters) and random vocabulary found while reading (20-30
new items/day).

Skype lesson: we continued studying the story about emperor 轩辕黄帝. It was a difficult
passage and, in addition, the sound with Skype was not very good, so I had a pretty
hard time. I wish I had read the full text beforehand. After the lesson, I started
reading the rest of the text carefully in the metro, while going to work (I take my
Chinese classes in the morning, before going to work; due to the time difference with
China, it's the perfect moment for me), and finished it in my bed at night. I did not
read more of 黄金时代 today.

ES

Por un antojo, me compré una revista de vulgarización científica. Es que no puedo
resistir cuando veo naves espaciales sobre una portada. Regresando a casa, he leído
dos artículos sobre el tema de los viajes a las estrellas.

Escuché noticias breves sobre los miles de puercos que fueron recobrados en las aguas
del 黄浦江 y sobre la elección de 习近平 cómo presidente de China.

LA

Reviewed vocabulary in Learning With Texts (14 words only). Read Caesar I.12. I had and
still have no plan to read all of Caesar. It's just that the story is compelling enough
that, having started it on a whim, I just want to know what happens next! In addition,
I'm relieved to be able to read an author with relative ease, because the textbook I
normally use (Oerberg's Roma Aeterna) is in fact harder than Caesar. But then, Caesar
*is* supposed to be the easiest among Roman writers. In addition, Caesar writes in
short chapters that are a perfect fit with my study method (I can only devote short
periods of time to each activity).

On the other hand, as I have only one and a half lesson left in Oerberg with simplified
Livy, I may as well use LWT to study the texts that are presented in Oerberg's Roma
Aeterna, starting with Livy. I'll think about that.

FI

Reviewed vocabulary in Learning With Texts (13 words only). Then, for once I took a new
text from selkosanomat.fi instead of selkouutiset.fi (about the security in Central
Park, New York). The texts are apparently slightly longer.

The accompanying sound file is computer generated - yuck - but I, for one, welcome our
new Finnish robotic overlords!

BTW, for the time being, I don't intend to try and improve my listening comprehension
of Finnish. I'm quite happy if I can find some time to solidify my passive knowledge of
the written language, hopefully to a point where I can start reading interesting stuff
in a non-simplified form.

Edited by lorinth on 22 March 2013 at 8:46am

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4052 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 19 of 408
25 March 2013 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Friday 22:

ZH

As usual I studied some vocabulary: HSK4 (review), HSK5 (review + 6 new words),
characters (review + 2 new characters) and random vocabulary found while reading (20-30
new items/day).

我继续阅读王小波的黄金时代那本小说。第三 部分都看完了以后,我就开始阅读第四部分了 。

Finished chap. III of Wang Xiaobo's novella. Started chap. IV.

LA

Revised the vocabulary of the texts read in the past few days.
Legi Titi Livi Ab vrbe condita libri I capitulum XL.

FI
Revised the vocabulary of the texts read in the past few days.
Luin artikkelin Kyproksen talouden pelastamisesta.

WA

Dj' a continouwé a lére Vera, da Lucyin Mahin. Li spoûle n' est nén åjheye a sure ca
elle est sclatêye a bokets eyet cmaxheye, on pô come dins Pulp Fiction (li film).

I read more of Mahin's novel titled Vera. The plot is not easy to follow, as the
story is cut up in pieces that are not told chronologically (as in Pulp Fiction, the
film).

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4052 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 20 of 408
25 March 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
ZH

While buying groceries for the week, I listened to several ChinesePod podcasts (lower
intermediate level). There are two versions: Chinese only and Chinese + comments in
English. I listen to Chinese only, as this is meant to be comprehensible input. I can
understand maybe 90% of the dialogues, while the upper intermediate level requires much
more concentration from my part. So the upper intermediate podcasts do not fit well
with the whole philosophy of "listen while shopping".

As usual I studied some vocabulary: HSK5 (review + 6 new words), characters (review + 2
new characters) and random vocabulary found while reading (20-30 new items/day). No
HSK4 review though.

Shadowed ChineseLearnOnline lesson 212.

ES

Leí un artículo sobre la libertad de prensa en Venezuela, o los obstáculos a esta
libertad. Otro artículo sobre el pilota de formula 1 Alonso. Y otro sobre los cafés
literarios en España. Escuché una versión audio de los mismos artículos. La revista
acompañada de su CD se llama PuntoyComa (http://www.pyc-revista.com/)

FI

Studied the vocab queue in Learning With Text.

LA

Studied the vocab queue in Learning With Text. Read Livy I.41 (the original version in
LWT, then Oerberg's version in Roma Aeterna).

IT/CA/PT

Read lesson 2 of EuRom5 (http://www.eurom5.com/home-ca) in Italian, Catalan and
Portuguese.

WA

Until I'm finished, I won't mention again that I'm reading Mahin's Vera every night.
I'll write some comments after I have read the last page.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4052 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 21 of 408
26 March 2013 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
ZH

Usual vocabulary chore: HSK4 (review), HSK5 (review + 6 new words), characters (review
+ 2 new characters) and random vocabulary found while reading (20-30 new items/day.
Recently, it tends to be 35-40 instead).

Finished reading 王小波的黄金时代 chap. 4. Again, there were some fairly difficult
passages. If I wasn't using Pleco reader, I could become tedious.

Read an article about 欧盟失业的状况. It was a good exercise, in that it was very
repetitive as well as full of numbers to read (always a difficult point when learning
languages) and country names. Other than that, it made for an appalling reading. So I
read another, very short article about the closure of Belgium's 核反应堆 (nuclear
reactors). A handful of interesting and useful words have been added to my Pleco
learning queue.

Shadowed (while reading the text in ZH) Chinese Learn Online lessons 204, 205, 206,

FI

Reviewed vocab. Then from Selkouutiset, imported two short texts into LWT (one about
the crisis in Cyprus and another about European defence) and proceeded to read them.

LA

Reviewed vocab and read Livy I.42 in Learning With Texts. Another difficult chapter. I
have had to resort to a translation to understand some sentences. After that, I read
Oerberg's version in Roma Aeterna.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4052 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 22 of 408
27 March 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
ZH

1-hour Skype lesson. Yet another teacher. I really don't know who's supposed to be my
primary teacher. Each week, I see a new face, which is good in a way, because I'm
forced to interact with people who have different accents. On the other hand, some
continuity would be welcome. That said, the new teacher knew I had been working on that
complicated text about 黄帝 and she asked me, basically, to read it, with some
explanation. When the lesson was over, she gave me some homework, but I didn't
understand what she said and had no time to make her repeat :-(

Read 王小波的黄金时代 chap. 5. It was noticeably easier than chap. 4.

Usual vocabulary ritual: HSK4 (review), HSK5 (review + 6 new words), characters (review
+ 2 new characters) and random vocabulary found while reading (20-30 new items/day.

Read part of a long article about a new Japanese geography textbook which states that
Japan has a territorial dispute with Korea about the Dokdo islets (独岛, administered
by Korea) while no such problem is mentioned regarding the 钓鱼岛: "由日本实际控制,不存在领
土问题。" The Chinese side, unsurprisingly, is not pleased.

FI

Reviewed vocab. Read an article from Selkouutiset about the bank crisis in Cyprus.

LA

Reviewed vocab. Read Livy I.43-44 in Learning With Texts, then in Oerberg's Roma
Aeterna.

ES

Miré una emisión sobre la filosofía platónica en el Timeo y en qué sentido se podría
considerarla como la raíz de nuestro pensamiento científico. Claro que no entendí todos
los detalles, sin embargo era muy interesante.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4052 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 23 of 408
28 March 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
ZH

Usual vocabulary drill: HSK4 (review), HSK5 (review + 6 new words), characters (review

Shadowed x-1 LearnChineseOnline lesson 211.

Started reading chap. 6 of 王小波的黄金时代.

FI

Reviewed vocab. Read an article about unemployment in Finland. Among other things, it
said that miesten työttömyys on suurempi kuin naisten työttömyys. I found it
was interesting. So I checked in the Eurostat site where I learnt that such has been
the general tendency in Europe for some years now.

LA

Reviewed vocabulary in Learning With Text. As I've been reading quite a lot of Latin
recently, including the difficult (for me) Livy, the daily dose of words tends to grow.

--

In the next few days, I will be very busy at home and at work, so I'll be happy if I
can keep up with my Chinese vocabulary queues in Skritter (HSK4 review), Anki (HSK5 and
2300 characters) and Pleco (vocabulary collected while reading).

Edited by lorinth on 28 March 2013 at 8:20am

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4052 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 24 of 408
29 March 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
ZH

Managed to catch up with my vocabulary queues in Anki (HSK5, characters), Skritter
(HSK4) and Pleco (miscellaneous vocabulary).

While shopping, listened to ChinesePod podcasts, lower intermediate.

While stuck in traffic jams, listened to almost all of a story published in Graded
Chinese Reader 1. It's a simplified version of a story written by 莫言, called 冰雪美
人. I had read the story almost two years ago and found that simplified version
relatively easy for my level at that time. Listening to it now, I can again
appreciate that there is a big gap between my listening comprehension and my reading
ability. I could follow the story but there were many sentences that were unclear.

Unfortunately, I had no time to read 黄金时代 today. Or anything else, for that matter.

LA

While stuck in the same traffic jams, listened to Caesar I.13

FI

Reviewed vocab in lwt.

Edited by lorinth on 29 March 2013 at 3:02pm

This discussion contains 408 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version