Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 249 of 408
21 February 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
I've been watching subtitled Chinese TV shows for a while now, since even before starting to learn Chinese. I really like the kungfu/martial arts shows, unfortunately that doesn't help much in every day life other than slipping some odd phrases here and there to make people laugh: "师傅,我对不起您!", "我给你报仇!", and my personal favorite "齐天大圣". Lately i've been watching 爱情公寓 which i feel like has really nice colloquial language and lots of cultural references, unfortunately with the subtitles i only catch about 50-60 percent of it. It's enough to follow along with the show, but i'm not sure if it's actually helping my Chinese get any better. I have learned some funny words with it, though. I'm looking forward to that 95% day!

I also read that article but am still not quite sure how it distinguishes between one or another. I'm also not sure if it was supposed to be humorous or not, as at the end they're saying that we should use 他妈的 more often to clear up ambiguities :P
2 persons have voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4055 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 250 of 408
22 February 2014 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Hello Crush, I'd never heard about 齐天大圣. I've just watched a bit of the first episode
on Youtube, and it looks fun as yet another shot at 西游记 with rather cheap special
effects and all.

About the article, I'm pretty sure it was written tongue in cheek (the last sentence!).
At least some of the examples given *are* ambiguous - for people who love to split hair.
Not sure if or how inserting 他妈的 really disambiguates those sentences though. Maybe for
someone more familiar with the nuances of spoken Chinese...
1 person has voted this message useful

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3787 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 251 of 408
22 February 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Lorinth, Crush,

I’m not sure either what idea that article is trying to convey….. Generally the use of 他妈的 in a sentence is similar to inserting “freaking or f-word” into a word. It’s for the purpose of intensification. For example,
今天的考试真*他妈的*太难了 > The exam today was so *un-freaking-believably* hard!

Some people also use (他)奶奶的 or (他)妹妹的 esp. by girls or young women. I wouldn’t use too much (or at all) these expletives or profanities. (I've got to say though... it’s quite amusing to hear those from non-native speakers;-)

-Charles

Edited by PointsDotsLines on 22 February 2014 at 8:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 252 of 408
23 February 2014 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Thanks again Charles :)

And lorinth, 齐天大圣 is just what 孙悟空 called himself, i didn't know there was a TV show with the same title. I just say some of the silly things i've learned from Kung Fu films and series with my Chinese friends. Since there's no real situation i can ever see myself using 磕头 or 大王, for example, i just try to slide them in ;)

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4055 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 253 of 408
23 February 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
谢谢你们! I suppose that the article was just a joke, it shouldn't be taken too
seriously.

Crush wrote:
齐天大圣 is just what 孙悟空 called himself

Ah thanks, I should have guessed. In fact I've read a big part of 西游记 in translation,
years ago, so it's not always obvious to connect names I know in French with their
original form when I first see them.

PointsDotsLines wrote:
Some people also use (他)奶奶的 or (他)妹妹的 esp. by girls or
young women.

In the novel I'm reading (鬼吹灯), the male characters/tough guys often use 他娘的. 他奶奶
also appears. I had the impression that it was a kind of understatement, a way to
soften 他妈的, or maybe a dialect feature. I was under the impression that 娘 was
slightly old-fashioned compared with 妈. Thanks for explaining, Charles.

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3787 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 254 of 408
23 February 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
lorinth wrote:

In the novel I'm reading (鬼吹灯), the male characters/tough guys often use 他娘的. 他奶奶
also appears. I had the impression that it was a kind of understatement, a way to
soften 他妈的, or maybe a dialect feature. I was under the impression that 娘 was
slightly old-fashioned compared with 妈. Thanks for explaining, Charles.

You may also read the use of 他姥姥的
姥姥=mother’s mother (grandmother); "姥姥、娘" are often used in the northern regions and/or rural areas. (I grew up in the SW where we address mother’s mother as "婆婆、外婆").
奶奶=father’s mother (grandmother)

Basically "他[ ]的" means “f-word your [ ]”. So, 他奶奶的、他姥姥的 can be much greater insult than 他妈的、他娘的. But I doubt there are absolute distinctions among those expletives/profanities any more.

Edited by PointsDotsLines on 23 February 2014 at 6:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4055 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 255 of 408
25 February 2014 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
I've worked on two ChinesePod podcasts: one about the cunning plans devised by a kid to avoid cleaning her room. The other about a 鉴宝节目 (Antique Appraisal Reality TV). I've seen parts of such shows on CCTV. It's actually quite interesting. However, in the podcast, the hosts ends up smashing the object, 因为根据专家鉴定的结果,宝贝是假的。(becau se the experts have judged that the object is fake). I've never seen that in the said shows. Maybe all objects are screened beforehand to make sure they are genuine?

Anyway, as usual, these are top notch, funny, interesting, useful and technically impeccable podcasts.

I've read a bit more of the history book 中华上下五千年. I've reached the beginning of the story of emperors 鲧 and 禹 and how they tried to stop the floods. That was over 4000 years ago.

I've also read a bit more of 鬼吹灯. After a longish and slowish descent into a maze of dark corridors under a forgotten city half buried in the sands of the Taklimakan desert, our heroes finally find the coffin of the ancient evil queen - and, boy, things start to get interesting: zombies, hallucinations, hordes of deadly snakes, faulty lamps and all.

I've faithfully studied my daily dose of vocab collected while reading or listening. I've continued working on my list of characters in Skritter.

Edited by lorinth on 25 February 2014 at 9:36am

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4055 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 256 of 408
26 February 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
煎蛋 (Jandan.net) is a good source for short, interesting articles on a variety of subjects. Yesterday, I've read part of an article titled "宇宙外面是什么?" I was hoping I could tell the world, through this log, that I'd been able, for the first time, to read a scientific article in Chinese. It turns out that the science behind this article might be dubious - and anyway it was too complicated for me, so I stopped reading. To be frank, I may not have understood in my mother tongue either.

Today, I was luckier with a short article about how playing 俄罗斯方块 (Tetris) may help you lose weight and quit smoking and drinking: 俄罗斯方块可以减少吃饭、吸烟、喝酒的冲动 . It appears that playing that game is a highly demanding visual task (一个非常强烈的视觉任务) capable of reducing other forms of visual desires, which would confirm the theory of "渴望依赖于视觉图像". I knew that all those hours were not wasted after all.

BTW the name 煎蛋 (The Omelette (?)) makes me think of The Onion, but the articles, though light, look genuine.

Links:

煎蛋
宇宙外面是什么?
俄罗斯方块可以减少吃饭、吸烟、喝酒的冲动

This discussion contains 408 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version