Belgium
Joined 4034 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 49 of 408
06 May 2013 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
ZH

I managed to study my Chinese vocabulary (HSK4, HSK5, characters, random vocabulary),
which is not always obvious during weekends.

While shopping, I listened to the whole 21 lessons of 自行车王国.

While surfing I came across the Chinese version of 莫言的《红高粱》。
我曾经阅读这本小说,但不是汉语的,是法语 的。
(Mo Yan's Red Sorghum Clan, of which I have read a French translation some time
ago
).
So I started reading on a whim and I read quite a bit of chap. 1. It's quite hard for
my level, Mo Yan's language is rich, both detailed and poetic, so I don't know whether
I'll be able to go on. Who knows. My policy is to read, not to force myself to read
anything in particular.

ES

Leí un artículo sobre la introducción del arte gótico a España en el siglo XIII. Lo
extraño es que el autor empieza por comparar el románico y el gótico, como si el
primero fuera un arte bastante torpe perteneciente a una época poca civilizada y
oscura, y el segundo el arte luminoso de un renacimiento cultural, después de siglos de
estagnación. Esto me hace pensar en la manera en que el siglo XIX juzgaba la Edad Media
en su globalidad (gótico incluido) y la comparaba al Renacimiento. Me parece que la
época de Carlomagno, por ejemplo, también fue una edad con sus luces culturales. Sin
embargo, claro que no conozco bien la historia de España. Puede que este tipo de
análisis sea correcto en cuanto a la península.
1 person has voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4034 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 50 of 408
07 May 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
ZH

Chinese vocabulary: HSK4 and HSK5 (review only), characters (review + 2 new characters,
which has been my daily dose for quite some time), random vocabulary (review + 20-30
new words).

Started reading a long, but interesting article written by the 中国社科院欧洲研究所副所长
(Vice-Director of the Chinese Academy Of Social Sciences, Institute for European
Studies). That person has worked in Brussels for three months. He (she?) explains the
four reasons why he feels disappointed.

Hint: it's not the weather.

Rather, it concerns the relations between Europe and China.

The article.

I intend to read the rest tomorrow.

LA

Reviewed the vocabulary queue in LWT and then read Caesar I.28 and 29. The sad road
home of the Helvetians.

FI

In LWT, reviewed the vocabulary queue and read articles about kriisimaiden
säästöistä ja Eteläkorealaisen laivanrakentajan STX:n rahaongelmista

Edited by lorinth on 07 May 2013 at 7:25am

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4034 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 51 of 408
07 May 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Today, for once, I had to do some simple manual work , so I could listen to Chinese and
Latin for hours while working.

ZH

Listened to the level 2A CD of FLTRP Graded Readers series, titled 奇妙的中国. I could
understand much of the texts, but I'll have to listen again while reading to make the
most of the audio.

After that I used TuneIn Radio to listen to Radio Taiwan International and then to CNR
中国之声. I understood, well, one word here, half a sentence there, never a full
sentence. Sometimes I could fathom what they were talking about. I really wonder why
some people say you can actually learn new words while listening to some audio input,
most of which you don't understand.

After work, I finished reading the article I was talking about yesterday “对中欧经济关系的
四点失望”, which left a strange impression. Although there are valid points, I think it
misses some important parts of the story, makes wild generalisations and attributes to
the men in the street the attitudes of the powers that be (“欧洲人常批评中国人侵犯知识产权”).
Also, I always have my doubts when people seem to claim they have a monopoly on
objectivity: “我真心希望欧洲人能够全面客观地了解中国 。” At times it sounds more like an
official admonestation addressed to European leaders (“欧洲人应该感谢中国 ”) than like a
genuinely personal rant. Still, an interesting read.

At night, I tried a three-dictionary exercise. Count me among those who actually like
to read dictionaries :-) I have no idea how I could assess whether this kind of
exercise is more useful than more orthodox methods for studying vocabulary (SRS,
goldlists, lists, etc.), or whether it's useful at all, but I found it was quite
pleasant.

LA

While working I also listened to some recent Nuntii Latini news from Finland, and then
to almost all of Caesar's primum librum. That guy sure knew how to tell a good story.

Edited by lorinth on 07 May 2013 at 9:57pm

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4059 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 52 of 408
08 May 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
lorinth wrote:

"我问她,碰上了人家怎么说,她说,她没被 � �上过。
但是听说人家会把门一摔,在外面说:真他妈 的讨厌!"

What's the subject of the first 说? Does 碰 have another meaning than that I know? What the subject of the 说 in 在外面说? Having read 余华 before, I know what 他妈的 means, thanks :-)

In case you are still interested, as this post seems be more than a month ago, I'll attempt to answer your questions.

The subject (it's the subject you are asking about right?) of the first 说 is 她, whoever that 她 is. The first half of the first line essentially translates to: I asked her what she would say if she ran into 人家 (which could mean people in the general sense, or depending on the context, could mean a specific person).

Which ties into the second question you have. I'm not quite sure what meaning(s) you know of 碰, most likely something along the lines of "to touch, to bump". But this one means "to meet, to run into". Here's a pretty comprehensive discussion of the meanings of 碰: http://www.ichacha.net/%E7%A2%B0.html

The subject of 在外面说 is 人家, again, whoever that is. I'm not going to translate the second line for you, since I don't know who is who, and I could confuse you more if I don't know what I'm talking about.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4034 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 53 of 408
08 May 2013 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Cacue23, thanks a lot, it makes more sense now.

Some context: the two characters are in a hotel room, thinking about doing naughty
things.

然后她又坐下去,说,还早一点。
Then she sat down again and said: It's still early.
过一会服务员来送开水。
The waiter will soon bring boiled water.
他们有钥匙,连门都不敲就进来了。
They have the key, they just come in without even knocking the door.
我问她,碰上了人家怎么说,她说,她没被碰 上过。
I asked her: When you've run into someone, what did you say? She said that she had not
been run into (seen?) by anyone.
但是听说人家会把门一摔,在外面说:真他妈 的讨厌!
But having heard that someone was going to throw the door (= throw open? knock?), from
the outside that person (?) said: It's f*** disgusting!

I'm still not sure I understand how the sentences
" 我问她,碰上了人家怎么说,她说,她没被碰 上过。
但是听说人家会把门一摔,在外面说:真他妈 的讨厌!"
tie in with what lies before.

Anyway, thanks again for dropping in, it was awfully quiet here.

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4059 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 54 of 408
08 May 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, you almost got it. Since the waiter would drop in anytime without a warning, the guy wanted to know what happened when the girl was caught doing naughty things. She never got caught by anyone, but she heard that if she were caught, the waiter would throw the door shut and say from outside: You guys are so f**king disgusting.

By the way, what author is this and when did s/he write this novel? I thought people refrain from sexual allusions back in the old days, never mind writing a book that almost intentionally discusses sex...

Oh, and I loved "the voice of China", it was really a nice show, except that people were singing from the top of their lungs. Having never sung from the top of my lungs for fear of damaging my larynx, I tried it out one morning, and my roommate met me later that day with "who's that strangled duck?"

Edited by cacue23 on 08 May 2013 at 4:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4034 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 55 of 408
08 May 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
阿,明白了,谢谢你Cacue23.

The book is 黄金时代, by 王小泼。 It's available online on several sites (e.g.
https://code.google.com/p/wangxiaobo/). I don't know exactly when it was written, but
it was probably in the 1990s (see Wikipedia article on Wang Xiaobo). It's not only that
sex is alluded to in this novel, it's the main subject. For the main character (the 她
in the sentences we've been discussing), sex is the only way to escape the stifling and
hypocrite atmosphere of the 知识青年 period. Well, at least that's how I understand it.
I've posted some brief comments on the book while I was reading it, if you're
interested.

You're right to say that contemporary Chinese literature is relatively shy, much more
so than ancient literature... 金瓶梅 is bolder than many modern books, in this regard.
Though some books by 余华 are also slightly more raunchy, particularly 兄弟, which I've
read in French (though I've read 活着 and 许三观卖血记 in Chinese).

Thanks!

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4034 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 56 of 408
09 May 2013 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
ZH

Read chap. 7 of 《中国进行时》 without dictionary, about the attitude and behaviour of
Chinese people as far as money is concerned. Now I want to read that chapter again with
a dictionary, to plug the holes.

Vocabulary: HSK4 and HSK5 (review only), characters (review + 2 new characters, which
has been my daily dose for quite some time), random vocabulary (review + 20-30 new
words).

FI

In LWT, reviewed the vocabulary queue. Read two short texts about the reform of social
and health services in Finland and on opettajasta, joka irtisanottiin voimakeinojen
käyttämisen takia
(a teacher dismissed because he had used force against a
student).

LA

In LWT, reviewed the vocabulary queue then read Caesar I.30.

This discussion contains 408 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version