Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5940 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 17 of 28
15 March 2013 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
My enquiry is to how much of the language you would learn. Would a grammar awareness allow you to pick up some of the language passively ? I don't think this is a method that could be used to fully learn a language. I've never watched the Danish television series, "The Killing", but a lot of friends rave on about it, as well as the other Danish series Borgan. Considering that language study occupies all of my spare time, I wouldn't feel justified watching it. However, if I read a Danish grammar, would that assuage my guilt ? Would I slowly pick up small fragments of the language, none or more than expected ?

Edited by DaraghM on 15 March 2013 at 10:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 18 of 28
15 March 2013 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
...if I read a Danish grammar, would that assuage my guilt? Would I slowly pick up small fragments of the language, none or more than expected?

That would move you beyond the realm of pure "passive" and slightly more into "active" with the goal of getting involved with the language. The more active you get the more effective you'll be. I'd say you'd learn a thing or two and probably end up with yet another language to add to your "studies" list.

You'll never really know until you try. If it's a good tv show and you enjoy it, then it's not a waste of time, regardless of whether or not you learn anything about Danish. As for somehow "passively" picking up Danish, I'm doubtful but then again, vamos ver. Give it a month or so and see how it goes.

Mistermark21
United Kingdom
Joined 4401 days ago

23 posts - 26 votes
Studies: Swedish*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Polish

Message 19 of 28
15 March 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
You'd have to be careful, whenever i watch foreign films with English subtitles the translation occasionally differs to whats actually been said.

I dont think it's a good way to learn a language, but i do think it'd be useful to bring back words/phrases you already know.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 28
15 March 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
In my experience, if you don't use the words themselves they won't stick. I don't understand more Spanish now than a year ago.

I understand more Russian because I've used those phrases more. If I don't know what the words mean or I cannot decode the sounds, it doesn't function. You need some form of active ability to use the listening. Reading is a different story though, you could very well learn to passively understand a language even though you cannot utter much in it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 28
15 March 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Or more like, if you don't want to remember the words, you won't. If you consciously throw them away, you'll have to pick them up again.

I think we're different because you're more visual. I can't remember words from reading if I worry about pronouncing them incorrectly to myself (I don't have this problem with French because I don't care about developing any skills in it. I pronounce it as Portuguese, Italian or Romanian in my head and it doesn't bother me. I don't like French.)

Basically, for me there are two categories of cognates/etymologically related words - those that I COULD understand (sometimes with a bit of decoding), and those I DO understand effortlessly. I've needed a lot of input in Spanish, Italian, Polish to move the words from the first to the second category.

As for Danish, that's the language in which I've made the least progress with my usual methods. Mostly because it's quite, well, unclear. Sometimes I feel that I've picked up more Swedish just from visiting Finland. However dubbed Disney cartoons are among the most efficient things I've tried, compared to my usual LR and football matches. And I LR'ed HP books 5-6 in Danish.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6339 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 22 of 28
15 March 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Or more like, if you don't want to remember the words, you won't

Who's mind works like this?

dcbaok
Groupie
United States
Joined 4271 days ago

46 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 23 of 28
15 March 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I've been following this thread because I'm using passive listening as a part of my listening routine and have been curious to see what people have to say about it.

I feel that accompanied by active study, passive listening is definitely beneficial, though people who question input based methods may not agree.

Having L2 playing in the background for as many hours of the day as is possible adds the "massive" to "massive input" you tune in and out of actually listening but it's everpresent and consciously or subconsciously begins to sink in.

I agree that active interest, and an active component in the study routine are necessary to realize these benefits, and further that the benefits are "soft" and difficult to quantify, but for me at least, I'm gaining some facility from this practice.

It's highly inefficient but low cost and low effort. For me it's basically "free" as I listen while I'm working at the computer doing other things. I get my work done and have L2 as a constant background.

Edited by dcbaok on 15 March 2013 at 8:22pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 24 of 28
15 March 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Or more like, if you don't want to remember the words, you won't. If you consciously throw them away, you'll have to pick them up again.

If you don't want to remember the words then you're best off doing something you'll want to remember.

Quote:
I think we're different because you're more visual. I can't remember words from reading if I worry about pronouncing them incorrectly to myself (I don't have this problem with French because I don't care about developing any skills in it. I pronounce it as Portuguese, Italian or Romanian in my head and it doesn't bother me. I don't like French.)

I am indeed more visual but I do consciously work on my auditive development (listening is always my weakest skill). But no amount of hearing nonsense will make it stop being nonsense. You need the subtitles and the other aids to start understanding what you are watching, and then it snowballs because you associate the word to the sub. If I listen to an episode of non-subtitled Greenlandic shows, I won't magically understand them if I listen to them over and over. I have to get subtitles and a transcript and a textbook to explain unknown grammar rules of Greenlandic to me. That's not because I'm not auditive, but because if I never learn how Greenlandic sounds correspond to meaning and in what rhythm and phrase and consciously associate them and repeat them over and over, then I will never. No magical amount of listening to the radio will make me fluent in Breton. Only me using Breton actively in some way will help me to actually understand the Breton.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version