Belle700
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 8
17 March 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I have been researching online translation certificate programs and have narrowed my choices down to the University of Toronto and the University of California at San Diego.

I'd like to know if anyone has gone through either of these programs and if so, what your experience was like: how the classes were structured and what the workload was like, etc.
1 person has voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4810 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 2 of 8
17 March 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Are you planning to translate into English? Because it says on the University of Toronto website, "Most assignments require translation from English to the selected language . . . The Translation certificate is entitled “Certificate of Translation into [the non-English language]”.

Belle700
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 

Message 3 of 8
17 March 2013 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
Are you planning to translate into English? Because it says on the University of Toronto website, "Most assignments require translation from English to the selected language . . . The Translation certificate is entitled “Certificate of Translation into [the non-English language]”.

I would be translating from Spanish into English, as English is my native language.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4810 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 4 of 8
17 March 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Belle700 wrote:
espejismo wrote:

I would be translating from Spanish into English, as English is my native language.

Then this specific certificate won't work for you.
Have you checked out Proz.com?

Belle700
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 

Message 5 of 8
17 March 2013 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
Belle700 wrote:
espejismo wrote:

Then this specific certificate won't work for you.
Have you checked out Proz.com?

I have, but I thought that this certificate is from Spanish to English. I guess I misread it. I have also been looking at UCSD and I am interested in hearing from people who have taken either one of these programs.

Edited by Belle700 on 17 March 2013 at 9:40pm

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Hexaglot
Luxembourg
christineschmit.com
Joined 5428 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, ItalianC1
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Indonesian

Message 6 of 8
17 March 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't have any first-hand experience with these programs, but I've only heard good things about NYU. They offer an online Certificate in translation and now also a full M.S. in translation online. Both are offered for Spanish-English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Belle700
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 

Message 7 of 8
17 March 2013 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Iwwersetzerin wrote:
I don't have any first-hand experience with these programs, but I've only heard good things about NYU. They offer an online Certificate in translation and now also a full M.S. in translation online. Both are offered for Spanish-English.

I have looked into that as well, but it happens to be the most expensive out of the three I have looked at and it also requires at least a two year committment. NYU allows four years for completion of the program: Toronto can be done in about 8 months and UCSD says about 3-4 quarters.

Edited by Belle700 on 18 March 2013 at 6:39pm

Belle700
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 

Message 8 of 8
18 March 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I looked at Toronto's program again and it looks to be entirely English to Spanish. UCSD covers both English to Spanish and Spanish to English.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version