United States
Joined 4715 days ago

65 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 7
19 March 2013 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
(Taken from my post on LingQ)
So these last few days, I've decided to read Harry Potter in Spanish in order to keep myself in touch with the
language while acquire vocabulary, not necessarily to "study". My focus now has directed toward French, I haven't
"finished" Spanish I have just found myself at a level of basic fluency that I am moderately satisfied with for the time
being. Now back to reading, today I was reading a chapter of Harry potter (more or less 4000 words) and it took me
nearly an hour. Now my question is, is that fast? Normal? Slow? How quickly can you read? What are some things
that can be done to speed up reading comprehension? Just reading more? Not that I'm not content with that pace of
reading, I just always know there is room for improvement and would like to find out ways. Now this isn't to debate
about how well one can read, it's more about the process of how one can improve their speed of reading. Also this
is intensive reading (every unknown word was looked up in an online dictionary)

Thanks, hopefully that makes sense it seems a little jumbled.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
19 March 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
(I deleted my post because I assumed the study language "French" was the one you were trying to improve. oops.) ^^

I would try using the DELE test papers to improve reading comprehension speed.

Edited by Sunja on 19 March 2013 at 8:56am

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4469 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 7
19 March 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
I can read pretty quickly, to the point that I used to get a new stack of library books every week :)

But in language learning, speed isn't everything. With new languages, I usually read at 2 different speeds.
The "normal" for me speed is for extensive reading paired with listening to audiobook or at least text-to-speech, to get a ton of input, to get the repetition of the commonly used words, phrases, verb tenses...
Then, there is the "slow, crawling" speed when doing intensive reading - looking up every unknown word, reading and sometimes repeating sentences or phrases aloud.

I wouldn't see the time you have spent on reading the one chapter as a problem. The speed will pick up with practice. You may want to re-read the chapter again, this time going through it without looking anything up.

Choose the method how you read depending on what you want to improve. For general understanding, reading fast and getting the gist is enough. But to improve your active language, slow, intensive reading and noticing details is needed.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 7
19 March 2013 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Someone once suggested reading with a metronome to improve reading speed. Not sure how one would go about that, is it one tick per line? I think it might be of some use to try to read at a slightly faster pace than is natural sometimes, in order to force oneself to speed up the processing. Don't let the brain take as much time as it wants, but rather put some pressure on it to speed up and it will improve. I haven't done much in the area myself, though.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4451 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 5 of 7
19 March 2013 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
If you looked up every unkown word, then it was not particularly slow. I don't know how many words you had to look up, but I guess you will have spent a fair amount of the time typing the unknown words and reading the "answer". As Majka says, it depends on what your purpose is. If your prime objective is to enjoy the book and get the gist without necessarily understanding every word, you will only look up those words that you have to understand in order to get the meaning of a phrase. That would probably increase the speed considerably. However, if your main aim is to acquire new vocabulary, the intensive approach you describe seems a good one.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 7
19 March 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
I always read at the same speed. If I really want to know all the details I will read the text over a few times, then I will automatically catch all the details. This is for a language I can speak and read well, so one of the six in my "basic fluency + list", although my Russian is somewhat slower (but it works).

For anything else extensive reading is a bit more complicated. However I can extensively understand a fair bit of Romanian when reading. Hebrew not so much. Breton I use too little but I probably could do better (and also worse).

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5595 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 7 of 7
19 March 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
I know this problem well. If you know and like the LR technique, try turning it round and
listening to the English audiobook while reading the Spanish. Keeping up with the
audiobook forces you to read much faster and not get hung up on minor details.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version