United States
Joined 4495 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 105
26 March 2013 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I can confidently say that I find it easier to understand an audiobook in German than
to read the same book, assuming that I'm not looking up any words. Moreover, I can
listen to the audiobook while driving or walking, although occasionally I'll have to
skip back a minute or two if my focus shifts.

The main advantage of an audiobook over a book is that the reader is providing
emotional context through the intonation. I might mix up Verwalter and Vergewaltiger on
the page, but I doubt that would happen in an audiobook.

I don't know how to measure the impact of this study method, assuming I consider it to
be a study method. I definitely learn a few words, but I could probably learn more with
the equivalent of audio flashcards. The problem being, of course, that I would soon
fall asleep and crash into a telephone pole.

I suspect the real value of extensive reading or listening is in solidifying and
enriching understanding of vocabulary that I have learned formally, and priming the
pump for vocabulary that I have yet to learn- thus those wonderful "aha" moments when I
come across a word and I already have some weird, subconscious associations with it.

This is all specific to a language similar to my native language, that I'm reactivating
at a medium level. Changing any of those variables could completely change the outcome.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6341 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 34 of 105
27 March 2013 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Gala wrote:
I think Ari's contention would probably be true, for me at least, if it was confined to strictly audio material without transcripts and translations. But when it comes to audio-visual material, absolutely not, especially if you're talking about shows like soap operas or cartoons that have fairly predictable story-lines, a great deal of repetition of themes, exaggerated body language and facial expressions, and where the characters' words are often directly related to their present physical activity.

This is a very good point. Thanks for that. As tavos says, it does require enough understanding to "decode" most of what you're hearing, though. And I want to point out that I explicitly said you don't need to know every single word, but enough to be able to understand what's going on (were it presented in written form).

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6341 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 35 of 105
27 March 2013 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
osoymar wrote:
I can confidently say that I find it easier to understand an audiobook in German than to read the same book, assuming that I'm not looking up any words.

Makes sense to me, though I don't think it's very relevant to this discussion. The advantage I cited for reading as a tool for expanding your vocabulary was precisely the fact that it's a lot easier to look things up.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5741 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 36 of 105
27 March 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
I may be just imagining it, but I think that if I spend a lot of time listening to stuff that is mostly comprehensible it gives a huge boost to my listening ability and a slight boost to my speaking ability, especially pronunciation. However, if I spend a lot of time listening to stuff that is mostly incomprehensible, it seems to have a negative impact on my ability overall. It's as if my brain automatically tunes out of the language altogether if I get too much information I can't make sense of.
7 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 37 of 105
27 March 2013 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I may be just imagining it, but I think that if I spend a lot of time listening to stuff that is mostly comprehensible it gives a huge boost to my listening ability and a slight boost to my speaking ability, especially pronunciation. However, if I spend a lot of time listening to stuff that is mostly incomprehensible, it seems to have a negative impact on my ability overall. It's as if my brain automatically tunes out of the language altogether if I get too much information I can't make sense of.

g-bod, I think you summed up exactly how I feel, and that is the reason why I'm thinking of not listening to incomprehensible audio when I could be listening to comprehensive audio.

Did I mention that this thread is awesomeness on toast?

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 105
27 March 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
osoymar wrote:
I can confidently say that I find it easier to understand an
audiobook in German than to read the same book, assuming that I'm not looking up any
words.

Makes sense to me, though I don't think it's very relevant to this discussion. The
advantage I cited for reading as a tool for expanding your vocabulary was precisely the
fact that it's a lot easier to look things up.

I'm really comparing extensive reading with extensive listening- looking words up
inherently makes it intensive reading or intensive listening. In that case I definitely
agree that intensive reading is preferable.

Anyway, apologies for the tangent.

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4309 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 39 of 105
27 March 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Gala wrote:
I think Ari's contention would probably be true, for me at
least, if it was confined to strictly audio material without transcripts and
translations. But when it comes to audio-visual material, absolutely not, especially if
you're talking about shows like soap operas or cartoons that have fairly predictable
story-lines, a great deal of repetition of themes, exaggerated body language and facial
expressions, and where the characters' words are often directly related to their
present physical activity.

This is a very good point. Thanks for that. As tavos says, it does require enough
understanding to "decode" most of what you're hearing, though. And I want to point out
that I explicitly said you don't need to know every single word, but enough to be able
to understand what's going on (were it presented in written form).

I may not have explicitly stated it, but I think that it was implicit in what I wrote
that I did NOT have the knowledge of the language to have understood most of what was
going on in telenovelas when I first (and for several months, at least) began watching
them, if I had been reading the scripts. It was the visual cues that enabled me to
actually learn many words and phrases in context before I ever came across them in
written form.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 40 of 105
28 March 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
What are you guys' thoughts on languages closely related also? For instance, let's say I have a C1 level in Swedish and I want to learn Norwegian. How much studying do you think would be needed for Norwegian before I should start watching tv and listening to the radio. Couldn't one hypothetically start a bit earlier in the "listening to the unknown" stage, to the contrary of a C1 in German and learning Mandarin, and still get good results?

This discussion contains 105 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version