Diglot
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

101 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Amharic*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 1 of 3
25 March 2013 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
During the past year and a half or so, I've gone from minimal interest to full-time
studying of languages and although I don't have a lot of time at the moment, I plan on
learning many languages. One fact that has been bothering me, however, is that my
skills in Amharic, my native language, are sub-par. I've decided to remedy this with a
few healthy doses of books which my grandmother will bring back from her trip to
Ethiopia. Recently, I discovered the existence (and availability) of several Amharic
readers and parallel text books. The problem is that the only one which I can guarantee
getting in good condition (from Amazon, An Amharic Reader by J.I. Eadie) dates
from the early 1900's--most likely using vocabulary I do not want to mix in my everyday
speech. Does anyone know of any other good readers or basic to intermediate books in
Amharic? If not, could anyone tell me if the newer publication of the book is edited
for modern usage and/or if the language in the original is not too outdated?
Thank you!
I do realize that not many forum members here speak or have much interest in Amharic,
but any help would be appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5189 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 2 of 3
25 March 2013 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
You may want to check Leslau W. & Kane T. L. (eds.), Amharic Cultural Reader, Wiesbaden, Harrassowitz, 2001.

It consists of around 40 Amharic texts covering aspects of life in Ethiopia (Naming, Wedding, Food and drink, Beauty, Artisans, Clerical education, Landholding disputes among th Amhara...). The Amharic text is printed alongside with an English translation on the facing page (some grammatical footnotes are added). An Amharic-English dictionary is added at the end of the book.

Here are some extracts of the introduction :
"(...) My purpose in commissioning these essays whose twofold. First, to give the advanced students of Amharic a sample of the Amharic writing style of the average educated Ethiopian and at the same time to provide information on Ethiopia's cumtural background. It should be pointed out that the authors of the articles were students writing from their own knowledge and, therefore, the articles are not always consistant with each other. Nor should these be regarded as scholarly writings.

(...) As stated above, the articles were collected in the late 50's and the early 60's and, therefore, they do not show any of the sweeping changes that resulted from the Ethiopian Revolution of 1974."
3 persons have voted this message useful

ElBrujo
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

29 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 3
25 March 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Since resources appear to be limited, just stick to what's readily available:

Ethiopian Reporter

VOA Amharic

Ethiopian News Daily in Amharic

These are just the first three results by searching "Amharic newspaper" on Google, so there are plenty more resources out there.

Looks like a fine amount of input to me.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version