Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4519 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 28
26 March 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Alright I know this topic has been mentioned before, but I think I might have a slightly
different context.

Although it's obvious that a people that have an aversion to social interaction may not
be the best learnings of a languages by immersion. I think to counter this it seems there
is a much stronger ability for people with aspergers to learn language by self study.

Has anyone else noticed this trend?
1 person has voted this message useful

tanya b
United States
Joined 4563 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 2 of 28
27 March 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I have not been diagnosed with AS but I share some traits with many of those those who have it. Those traits include--

1) repetitiveness

2) extreme resistance to change of any kind

3) a vivid imagination

4) introversion

These traits can potentially serve a learner very well who learns through self-study.

With repetitiveness and associated behaviors it's obvious why a learner with AS could go very far because language learning differs from other hobbies in that it is dreadfully monotonous. With more adventurous hobbies like fly fishing or cliff diving the participant never knows what to expect. A language textbook is predictable and therefore unthreatening to those with AS.

Those with extreme resistance to change fear anything that deviates from what they consider "logical" or outside their comfort zone. Even the most "illogical" language has its own logic to it and a learner with AS is reassured by the fact that the language will not throw him any curveballs. With patient study and skilled application of grammatical rules, a learner is almost guaranteed some level of proficiency. Languages must by nature be logical and consistent, devoid of randomness, therefore bringing order out of the chaos that some with AS may feel is closing in on them.

A vivid imagination is key when a learner begins to explore the area of self-talk, because eventually a learner will run out of topics and his imagination will provide him plenty of raw material. Every day I do 3 20-minute "speeches" in Russian, Armenian and Farsi on a wide range of topics. Today I talked about why Finland is my favorite country. Because my Farsi isn't that good I had to use the word "athlete" instead of "hockey player" because I don't know that word in Farsi.

Introverts do not fear isolation, in fact they are renewed by it. An extrovert like my husband feeds off of the energy generated by social interaction, but those with AS may not find the absence of a conversation partner an impediment to fluency. With reference to self-talk, I don't care if anyone is listening--sometimes it's just God and the spider who lives in the shower drain.

Edited by tanya b on 27 March 2013 at 1:35am

9 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5568 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 3 of 28
27 March 2013 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
I can think of at least one very well-known polyglot, who makes excellent videos and
gives excellent advice, that I have long been convinced has Aspergers. It is interesting
to see how different strategies work for different personalities.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5517 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 4 of 28
27 March 2013 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Well people with Asperger's aren't necessarily asocial, they're just wired differently in a way that can make normal social interactions difficult. Learning another language isn't any more difficult than making conversation in the native one.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 28
27 March 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't call languages "devoid of randomness", but apart from that Tanya_b's analysis of the attraction of home studies for Aspergers and people with somewhat similar personalities sounds quite convincing. Which reminds me of the title of a homepage - something like "Shut up - I'm learning your language"

Edited by Iversen on 27 March 2013 at 11:48am

4 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 6 of 28
27 March 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
I can think of at least one very well-known polyglot, who makes excellent videos and
gives excellent advice, that I have long been convinced has Aspergers

Who?
4 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4807 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 28
27 March 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Random review wrote:
gives excellent advice, that I have long been convinced has Aspergers

Who?

I would love to know too, but I doubt it would be appropriate to say publicly. Could you send me a pm?
2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5345 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 8 of 28
27 March 2013 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I recall that some polyglots got a little offended by the book "Babel no More" that suggested that there might be an positive correlation between aspergers and polyglottery.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 27 March 2013 at 7:52pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version