Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4197 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 1 of 4
27 March 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Do you think it is harder russian or icelandic for an Italian who has an advanced level
both in English and German , and why ?
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 4
27 March 2013 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
English and German will give you more cognates for Icelandic as far as vocabulary is concerned. Moreover, some grammatical concepts from German will be transferable to Icelandic. Nevertheless, I think there is no real difference in difficulty if you want to learn both languages to a high level.

Getting Icelandic declension right is immensely difficult because of the many overlapping declension paradigms. Strong verbs can be a pain in the neck, too. On the other hand, Russian may have less paradigms, but there are more irregularities and exceptions to rules. Furthermore, there is the dreaded mobile stress in Russian, which is almost unpredictable. Verbal aspect on the other hand is not that bad - at least in my opinion. Although, in the beginning, you'll often be at a loss which aspect to choose.

Last but not least, it will be much easier for you to find material (textbooks, grammars, dictionaries, podcasts, ...) for Russian than for Icelandic, which is important especially for the intermediate stage. As a conclusion, I found it easier to get a passive understanding in Icelandic, while my active skills are better in Russian, so it's really up to you what you want to get out of the language.

Edited by Josquin on 27 March 2013 at 9:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4865 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 3 of 4
27 March 2013 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Russian because Icelandic is a Germanic language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 4
28 March 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
But Russian has far more international words than Icelandic, and the Germanic ones might not necessarily be recognizable. Especially to a non-native speaker; many cognates are sort of at the periphery, found only in dialects, old books, names etc.
If you're essentially deciding what to study, just study the one you can't live without. if you can live without them both, get more exposure till you get to the point where you NEED it in your life so badly that you won't be asking anyone or care which is more difficult.

7 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version