11 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 11
29 March 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Related to your other post - if you enjoy the Spanish culture more, you could try something with a Spanish/Latin American flavour, as weird as this sounds:)
About a month ago I finally read my first book in German ever. It's a translation from my beloved Finnish :) It's not that I don't like the German culture, but the Finnish names and concepts made the book more enjoyable.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5886 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
29 March 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Also, check out your local German bookstore and just browse around. If something looks really fascinating, read the first two pages and see if you can understand most of it. Once you hit B1, there's no real reason why you shouldn't be able to more-or-less read 50% of the books in the average bookstore, provided that you find the subject really interesting.

Right, bookstores are good for browsing but you have to go online for some decent competition.

warriorfan808, on the subject of books: If you live near city with a uni, maybe it's also big enough to have a library / Stadtbibliothek. If you're not sure where the nearest one is, check at the Rathaus/ Bürgerbüro. Smaller than a Stadtbibliothek is a "Bücherei". My town has one. They have Hörbücher, DVDs -- maybe not the best selection -- but very accessible. "Leihfrist" (lending period) is four weeks. Yearly membership is about 5 Euros.

Edited by Sunja on 29 March 2013 at 1:39pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4334 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 11
29 March 2013 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
No offence meant but you may not necessarily be at B1 just because you've had those classes.

Personally, I think way too much is made about level you are. In the language classes I have been in a lot of people seem obsessed by claiming they are B1 or B2 or whatever. Unless you need a certificate for work or study or a visa or whatever these levels are mostly useless, and can be a distraction to language learning.

Whether you are at A2, B1 or B2 level you should be able to start reading books and watching TV.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version