Bilingual Actors Step Into a Leading Role

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 3
31 March 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
There's an interesting article in the NYT today on English-speaking actors branching out into foreign language films: Bilingual Actors Step Into a Leading Role-
6 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 3
31 March 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
This is great, I think. Hollywood's been importing actors from other parts of the world
for decades - some that have learned English specifically for a single movie role,
although if the movie's critically acclaimed, these actors usually go on to perfect
their English and become highly sought after for other roles, too.

No reason the talent can't flow the other direction.

On a somewhat related note, back in the late 70s/early 80s there were several US-based
singers that made a name for themselves in Latin America, singing in Spanish. They
didn't speak Spanish, but over time, learned the language.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 3 of 3
24 April 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
In the 1970s, Jacqueline Bisset spoke seemingly passable French in "Day for Night",
although she was playing an English actress acting in a French film within the film.
Although of French heritage, she was born in England, and didn't really speak much
French apparently, and had to mug up on it for the film. From what we see of Truffaut's
methods (he plays a version of himself in the film), he would no doubt have adapted the
film to fit her abilities.

Quote:
On a somewhat related note, back in the late 70s/early 80s there were several
US-based
singers that made a name for themselves in Latin America, singing in Spanish. They
didn't speak Spanish, but over time, learned the language.

Didn't The Beatles sometimes sing in German, which they might have acquired in their
Hamburg period? I seem to remember a German version of "I want to hold your hand".

...here we are:

Komm gib mir deine Hand"

(there are a few others too).

Sounds pretty good to me.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version