Diglot
United States
Joined 4229 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 16
01 April 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone! This is what I was going to do, but wanted to see what what others were
doing. Thanks for the imput!
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 10 of 16
03 April 2013 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
rule of thumb for each skill(reading, writing, speaking, listening) in each language:
2 times a week to maintain
3+ time a week to improve

Edited by leosmith on 03 April 2013 at 6:38pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 16
04 April 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
I have 3 languages at this point that are below B1 level (I have thoroughly dissected
most Breton grammar but keep forgetting vocabulary - wordlists didn't really help). I
have also had to focus on improving my Russian (which is B1-B2) so I tend to study them
all at least 2-3 times a week (if I have time, on the same day - I have one long-ass
commute on Wednesdays which I use to improve Romanian and Hebrew usually).

I have noticed improvement in all languages except the one I use the least - that is
Breton.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4282 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 12 of 16
29 April 2013 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Bbcatcher 08 wrote:
Hello all!

I am running into a small problem. Currently, I have a set schedule, where I focus on
only one language a day, and try not to mess around with any other language during that day. The problem arises that throughout the week, I may forget most of what I learned, and have to review it the next week, therefore not making as much progress. So, for those of you simultaneously studying multiple languages, do you study multiple languages a day, or as little amount of languages a day, to really concentrate on them?

Thanks!

I think that being a beginner in 7 difficult languages at once, especially if you are not an experienced language learner, would be very difficult and counterproductive so I would probably focus on two or three languages at first and then introduce new languages as your previous one get in the "pleasant cruise-speed zone".

I know this is not really the advice you asked so feel free to simply ignore my comment.

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4088 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 13 of 16
29 April 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
If the present schedule does not work well, you either reduce the number of languages
or alter the schedule.

You have to get in touch with your target language everyday, even if you are not
beginner in it. I personally will not start a language unless I can allocate at least
half an hour to it every single day.

But as you have mentioned, there is risk that you might mix them up. You have to
experiment whether you can develop the ability to learn multiple simultaneously.

If for some reasons you cannot learn half a dozen on the same day but still have
to/would like to learn that number, I would say at least you have to study each of
them, in two groups of 3, every two day. (But no doubt the outcome will be less
desirable)

I think the fact that you have not messed up until now indicates either you can study a
few at the same time, or your present schedule has not brought you any farther.

Edited by Paco on 29 April 2013 at 5:00pm

Bbcatcher 08
Diglot
United States
Joined 4229 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 14 of 16
02 May 2013 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention that I just got a new job so I haven't learned how to balance the
languages, the job, and school, but I am getting it down now :)

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4088 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 15 of 16
03 May 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
I suggest you dedicate your morning hours to language learning. In this way language
learning and school and job will have minimal interference on one another. You might
calculate how much time you would devote to learning languages, then, instead of burning
the midnight oil, rise earlier every morning to study them. You may start by giving half
an hour to each of them, and see if there is room for additions.

Edited by Paco on 03 May 2013 at 2:25am

Trevinho
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4018 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2, Portuguese
Studies: French, Catalan

Message 16 of 16
20 May 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Reducing the number of languages you study should get you better results. "A man who chases two rabbits catches neither"

Save the rest for a future date.

Study each remaining language in 20 minutes bursts with short breaks to recap and review what you have learned. Do as many 20 minute sessions as time permits. It's best not to study closely related languages one after the other so they don't get mixed up in your memory.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version