Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 137 of 153
26 September 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Bon tardi tur hende! M'a bolbe fo'i Kòrsou i Aruba. Tin mashá kos ku mi ke konta boso,
pero promé ku tur kos mi mester reflehá serka di mi strategia di studio di Papiamento.

It was a full, rich, diverse, transforming, astonishing trip! Culturally,
gastronomically, leisurely, romantically, sportively, socially...in all aspects! Two
different worlds that look so close and so far from each other, so close and so far
from myself! It will take me some time to write my travel logs here, so please be
patient! I want to focus first on what to do to Papiamento next.

First update is the Speak status! I could read everything, understand when native
speakers talked among themselves, understand the radio, express myself using
circumlocutions when necessary. I didn't get the chance to speak as much as I'd want
because people were always trying to English or Spanish me, but the opportunities I had
were rewarding!

The *speaks* status means Papiamento will be taken away from my daily, rigid schedule
and moved to the bottom, native-only activities (along with French). I got a few books,
a good dictionary and a textbook in Spanish by the same author of the English one (more
on that at an upcoming post on my purchases!). I may be using this Spanish textbook but
whatever I do now for Papiamento will be post-schedule activities. My goals are still
ambitious for Papiamento and should be revealed in time. I have to keep moving on
Chinese, Georgian, Norwegian and Russian so that I finally get anywhere and for this I
should do their stuff first, only later opening slots for more extensive activities.
So, that means when I have time late in the afternoon I will study; if not, maybe next
day. I had an unexpected, not so comfortable schedule change at work and I want to be
able to do the most difficult stuff at the time I'm most likely to keep focused.

I have to reschedule my studies, still focusing on native materials though. Not sure if
I'll be able to do anything today, as I'm updating my logs after a 17-days long break,
but the idea is to work less on newspapers, as I have books to read now; keep doing
music, as it is always nice; work on the online literary excerpts till I finish them
and only watch news videos every other day, at bottom priority, since a) many are
boring b) I only got better ones from Aruba c) I think I can understand them well now.
My idea should be to start with the song, then the Jukaproductions excerpt than keep
working until I have to do something else. BTW, since I got home I deleted the Anki
deck I had set myself and which had all its cards at the mature level already, but it
is still available as a Shared deck at ankiweb for anyone!

I'll try to keep this log alive but I'm going to try my best to stop the daily, log-
only updated with what I'm doing, as I'm no longer in a rush to reach B1 level in 4
months. Speaking of which...I think my mission has been accomplished and I got the
skills I need to take the best out of my trip. So, I may end up renaming this log, then
just leaving it...well, I'll see what is the most appropriate thing to do. Until then,
I'd like to thank you all for the support!
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 138 of 153
27 September 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Congrats on all that! Good news that all that preparation was really helpful! And it must
feel good to add a new language to your "speak" languages. You are a real proof that it
is indeed possible to become good at a language in a short time without letting go of all
the rest! I am looking forward to see what you will do now!
2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 139 of 153
27 September 2013 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Wow, that sounds awesome! Congrats on changing the language to the "speaks" status! I'm looking forward for your trip log! =)
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 140 of 153
27 September 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Well done on speaking a language that is a part of independent states dependent on my
kingdom! Hope you get as far in your other languages soon!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 141 of 153
27 September 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Parabéns, Expugnator! Eu soube que você iria alcançar seu objetivo. Sei que é difícil para aprender um idioma crioulo com poucos recursos disponíveis e poucas oportunidades para praticá-lo. Você deveria ter muito orgulho em si mesmo! :)

Edited by iguanamon on 27 September 2013 at 1:44pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 142 of 153
27 September 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys! It's always nice to share learning experiences at this forum. So, I
should start with my travel log.

Day 1: Arriving at Panama's airport

Panama is a good place for shopping, even if you stay just at the airport. We realized
we forgot to bring our camera's memory stick so we figured out it would be better to
buy a new one. We bought a simple one, but it was worth it. I was addressed normally in
Spanish and replied in Spanish. Sometimes people would try some Portuguese, as in the
makeup shop my wife was.

We had time to taste a local soda, called Fresca. I liked it.

Arriving at Curaçao

We went through immigration and customs, picked our baggage and decided to rent a car.
Curaçao is a big island and everything is so scattered, starting from the best beaches
which are far away up in the north. I rented the car in Papiamento! Only now and then I
switched to English. The clerk was really impressed, she said that my wife was from
Brazil but asked me if I was from there or lived there (maybe they think anyone with a
foreign accent might come from one of the other two islands). It was a nice experience.
A reminded: it's much cheaper to book the renting beforehand, you'd get an entire week
cheaper than two days, as we could see from the Brazilian couple we met there.

Like I said, Curaçao seems so exotic, it is all high bushes with some spots of sand,
dispersed houses and refinery equipment. Then comes Queen Juliana bridge that brings us
up in the air, it was a bit breathtaking in the first time. Downtown is a totally
different thing. It looks like it isn't real, with the colorful colonial Dutch houses!
You can see them at both sides of the bay: Punda, where we stayed at a central old
hotel, and Otrobanda.

As it was in the afternoon and we were hungry, we decided to stay close and have lunch
at one of the restaurants near the hotel. We ordered grilled seafood and beer. In the
evening we just walked around downtown a bit. At restaurants and the hotel I talked
mostly in English.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 143 of 153
30 September 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Day 2 - Seaquarium Curaçao

Not much Papiamento in the morning, even though the welcome board says "Bon bini". I
got to see (and touch) sharks, stingrays, star-fish and my wife did the swimming with
dolphins. We stayed at the beach close to sea aquarium, met two Brazilian couples (one
of them works for a travel agency and I told him I'd like to work with languages at
World Cup 2014). Then we drove long north to Curaçao's best beach, Kenepa Grandi, which
was worth the long trip through the suburbs of an unknown country/island. We didn't
stay long there, but it was enough to get a good Caribbean feeling. I saw some
interesting buildings (mostly churches) and if I'm not mistaken we went to a shopping
mall where I bought my first two books and a newspaper. Ah! I did talk in Papiamento to
the clerk, I even remember saying I wanted a koránt, I didn't say anything like jornal,
newspaper or periódico. It was interesting how I could sometimes remember obscure words
which weren't obvious Romance cognates.

In the evening we went to have dinner at Fort Nassau! A great location, up in the hills
close to Queen Juliana Bridge. I got a great view of the bay, good international food
with a local flavor (like crème brûlée with Curaçao Blue liqueur) and I talked a lot to
the waiter in Papiamento, she was nice and happy with the fact a foreigner had learned
the local language. I remember saying "Mi no ta gusta suku" (=sugar; we were talking
about ordering the desserts), and suku is a false friend with Portuguese suco=juice, if
you consider the pronunciation is the same.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 144 of 153
02 October 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Day 3: More beaches & food

It was planned as a day for walking downtown, seeing the shops and historical
buildings, but things didn't work out that way and this cultural part of the trip
wasn't accomplished. This happened mostly thanks to the distance to the beaches we
visited in the morning. We only managed to drop by a bookstore on the way back, where I
found the Papiamentu-English-Papiamento dictionary I'm reading now. What a find! It's
something totally different now to be able to read with a proper, complete dictionary.
Anyway, we had to return the car, so we rushed. We had trouble finding the hotel where
we should take the car back. It was close to ours but the street wasn't viewable at the
GPS, nor the hotel's or mall's name. Besides, we had to fill up gas again. I had never
been to a self-service gas station, it was troublesome! Fortunately some people helped
out. In the end, we returned the car at 15:30, while we were supposed to do so at 13:30
after having left the beach at 11:30! We were exhausted and starving, we just crossed
the bridge back to Punda and I ate a delicious crab sandwich (I'm really into eating
sandwiches). After having lunch and being so tired, no way we could walk downtown that
time, and we went to the hotel and woke up after 6 pm, so, as it was our last day, no
historical buildings walk at Punda. Maybe next time :/

At least in the evening we had dinner at a great place, Governour's, which is located
at Otrobanda. Having to return the car there was useful for finding out this
restaurant! I had great local food, keshi yena! Everything is well-served at Curaçao
(and almost anywhere at Aruba, for that matter), so ordering for two would never be
necessary. Anyway, this keshi yena was filled with chicken (it was much more chicken,
just a topping of cheese, exactly the opposite of Brazilian escondidinho which has
cassava with some pieces of meat here and there). We crossed the floating bridge Queen
Emma back to the hotel, it was a nice evening, and a flight awaited us in the morning.

This discussion contains 153 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version