Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 9 of 153
08 April 2013 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Papiamento is the language I can't get away from, even on weekends. I just read most of
the 3rd lesson at the textbook and watched one of the videos I found at youtube, this
one:

Everyone can be a model -
Papiamento

I must say context is very clear but I can understand about 60% of it overall.
Sometimes I can decipher words for which I don't know the meaning yet, that is, I could
even transcribe them down phonetically but I can't say what they mean. That's a good
stage I always refer to in languages like German and Georgian, unlike languages like
English and French: at the last two ones, when I don't know the meaning of the
sentences I usually can't pick the individual sounds either, it's like a blur. And
those required me much more intensive listening till I could barely start to work it
out. Luckily Papiamento seems to belong to the first group.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 10 of 153
08 April 2013 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Not a native speaker, but this Brazilian humorist is known at the web for the videos
where he speaks Papiamento. This one is at the set for his new movie. It has Portuguese
subtitles!!

Bastidores de Os Penetras - Marcelo Adnet
abusa do papiamento

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 11 of 153
08 April 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Good news! I bought the tickets for Aruba...and Curaçao!! 3 nights in Curaçao, 4 in Aruba. Now it doesn't make any sense at all which variety I focus on. I think I'm gonna have a great time and still practice languages! Looking forward to watching a lot of Youtube videos prior to that.

I've finished the third lesson at Papiamentu Textbook. There's something about some modal verbs that don't need the auxiliary ta in the present. When you form their imperfect and preterite, it doesn't follow the straightforward position for the auxiliares like in Romance languages.

Mi ta traha = I am working
Mi a traha = I worked
Mi tabata traha = I was working

BUT

Mi por = I can
Mi por a traha = I could work (Yo pude trabajar)
Mi tábata por traha = I could work (Yo podía trajar)

So, you see that you get por + auxiliary verb + following verb. In a Romance language, this a, which is a relic of the verb "haver/haber", would never come after the modal verb. We wouldn't say *Él podido ha trajar/*Ele podido tem trabalhar/*Il pu a travailler. It's something to get used to.

The other verb at which this happens is mester (must, need). You also say "Mi mester a traha" for I had to work. Maybe there's more.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 12 of 153
09 April 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
Lucky, lucky, lucky! I cannot wait to go to those islands!

Right now the Caribbean is the place I want to travel to the most... and Brazil. But my wife is really interested in Europe right now, and it's cheaper, so... you know, the wife wins.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 13 of 153
09 April 2013 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Well, this time my fiancée wanted to go to Italy, but she ended up agreeing that Aruba is closer, cheaper (than Europe, though not that cheap) and it would be more relaxing on the beach than visiting museums.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 14 of 153
12 April 2013 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
The lessons start to get longer. Nothing undoable yet. I usually don't have much trouble learning new words that are cognate. Only today I got the names of some fruits and flowers which I didn't know in English either, so I kinda skipped them. It's a good thing that I'm already getting long subordinate sentences, because it's helping me get used to the language much faster.

There's plenty of sentences for each lesson. If it was an entirely different language, I'd find it overwhelming, but since I can get their meanings with little effort, it actually does help me activate the language sooner. I think I should start writing in Papiamento. I just have to be sure I'm going to find a native speaker to correct this.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 15 of 153
15 April 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I think I'm coming close to basic reading fluency. I did lessons 08 and 09 today in no time. The compound tenses are most of the times predictable from the Romance languages and the typical auxiliaries. Today I even read conditional future with no great explanation.

I may start reading the Bible in order to boost up my comprehension, even though by the time I finish the Papiamento Textbook I'm aware I'm gonna need more audio than reading.

As for activating what I know, I hope that the native speaker at another forum remains active and can correct me if I want to write something. I also have another contact who's an advanced learner.

EDIT: it was lessons eight and nine instead of nine and ten.

Edited by Expugnator on 15 April 2013 at 8:36pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 16 of 153
15 April 2013 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Cara, fiquei em choque com o vídeo que você postou do Adnet falando papiamento fluentemente. A partir dele, descobri aquele programa "Adnet Viaja" da MTV no Youtube. que mostra ele indo pra Aruba e Curaçao e falando em papiamento perfeito com os nativos. Vocẽ viu esses vídeos também? Recomendo fortemente!

Fiquei bem tentado a aprender papiamento como hobby mesmo, e também fiquei mais fã ainda do Adnet (que pelo que eu vi, também fala muito bem inglẽs, espanhol, um tanto de russo...).

Onde encontrar esse Papiamento Textbook que você falou?

Abraço!

This discussion contains 153 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version