Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4745 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 3
02 April 2013 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
This course is available for free at my local library. It looks exactly like this one
here:

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Mandarin-Complete-Course-Inter mediate/dp/1402533705

It has:

Beginner AI and AII (9cd's each volume)
Intermediate BI and BII (9cd's each volume)
Intermediate CI and CII (9cd's each volume)

I have never used Pimsleur before, and there are tons of different Pimsleur products
out there with different looking packaging. I assume part of that is based on newer vs
older versions of the same basic courses, just with different packaging.

I was wondering if anyone has used the above course for this or other languages. I'll
end up taking them out anyway, but I guess my question how much time a day should I put
into them, and should it be every day. I guess what are your suggestions for use.

I am learning Chinese through another series (Basic Spoken/Written Chinese by Cornelius
Kubler), and will go to a Chinese tutor once a week in about a month, and there I will
use the New Practical Chinese Reader series.

Thanks for any info!

1 person has voted this message useful

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4228 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 2 of 3
02 April 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
I am currently using Pimsleur to begin learning Mandarin. I did lesson 31 today, and I'm already happy
talking with native speakers for advice and trying out sentences. The pronounciation I have learned so
far from Pimsleur alone was not quite right, but it's because I was unsure where the tongue should be for
different sounds and it doesn't tell you. You can find this information online though, too, or talk to some
Mandarin speakers!

I plan to finish the 90th lesson on May 10th, after I start doing two lessons a day on April 20th, when my
university exams are over. After the 90th lesson I will buy the books mentioned in Sprachprofi's article
on learning to read and write in Mandarin: http://temp.learnlangs.com/chinese/memorizing_characters

The grammar is really easy, the tones are only a little more difficult than the grammar, and it's really fun
to be able to improvise this many sentences after only a month of studying half an hour a day.

I'm also studying Arabic and German in university, so all I can muster until my classes are out is to study
Mandarin with Pimsleur. I use it while cleaning the house, driving the car, sitting on the bus, in the
morning too, and if I can, while I exercise. It's a really great program for beginning to listen and
understand the language. Buena suerte!

(Y si quisieras, podrías enviarme un mensaje para platicar un poco más, quizás puedo explicarte mejor
en español o utilizando ejemplos de otros idiomas que estudiamos todos los dos. Simplemente, ¡me
gusta utilizar los idiomas que estudio!)
2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 3
02 April 2013 at 6:37am | IP Logged 

There is also a Pimsleur Chinese IV to be released at the end of October 2013, so if that interests anybody, then it will be a nice addition to the many other Mandarin resources out there.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version