Groupie
Canada
Joined 4397 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 9 of 10
12 April 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
That would be fantastic. I might make one too because not many people have posted results starting on a high
beginner/intermediate so I might just do that.
1 person has voted this message useful

sehiralti
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4569 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 10 of 10
12 April 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Let me start with an initial report then.

I have been living in Finland since August and Finland has two official languages; Finnish and Swedish. Although I
learned some basic Finnish before I came here, I didn't know enough even for basic daily things and words. Since
everything is written at least in Finnish and Swedish everywhere, when there was no English translation, I was
figuring out things by guessing Swedish words with my knowledge of English and German. So, it didn't took me
long to realize Swedish is not actually so difficult (at least for a German and English speaker).

Nonetheless, I did a Finnish course for 4 months where I actually did not learn anything useful, and it only made
me feel very demotivated to learn Finnish. I was also dating a Norwegian girl for a while, so it was kind of like a
game for me to decrypt Swedish/Norwegian (which are very, very similar). At the end of February, I decided to
give myself time to learn Swedish just for fun until the end of April.

What I did was, basically Pimsleur and RS. I finished Pimsleur and I'm almost done with RS, and contrary to the
popular opinion, I actually found them useful. They might not be the best way to spend time but I didn't know
about LR back then. By chance, I stumbled upon the work of Krashen, and decided to read some swedish. So I
have been reading graphic novels (parallel reading with English version) and started reading "Män som hatar
kvinnor" (the girl with the dragon tattoo). When I discovered the original LR thread here, I was already at a stage
where I could read simple detective novels and not understand every word, but understand enough to enjoy and
go on. Also, I can carry out simple conversations (or advanced ones, if I make up works relying on my Germanic
knowledge). But alas, it is extremely difficult to understand Swedish spoken at a native speed, even if the content
is relatively simple.

So, it was a few days ago that I found out about the LR technique and I was thrilled by it. I can be very focused for
a short period of time, so the idea of intensively studying for a few weeks works very well for me. I wanted to
work on Män som hatar kvinnor, and reserved the audiobook in the library, but I needed to wait for some days
and I just couldn't! So I decided to start yesterday with one of my all time favourite books: The Lord of the Rings.
Since it's not exactly modern, I was worried that I would pick up some kind of an archaic manner of speaking and
I would not pick up useful vocabulary I didn't want to do it at first, but I'm glad I did. It is very, very enjoyable to
just sit down and listen, following the swedish, trying to decipher the story. I've already read the book as a
teenager in my native language (Turkish) and re-read in English a few years ago. Plus I've watched the movies
numerous times, so I know the books quite well. Also, I've read almost everything written by Tolkien, so I'm
familiar with his style. Even a few hours into the project now, I can say that it IS useful, and very enjoyable. I
would encourage everyone to try it out. I simply didn't have time nor the energy and motivation to make a
parallel version with the English text, but I have the swedish hardcopy book and the English ebook in my ipad.
So, I just have the book in my lap with ipad on one of the pages. Of course, the pagination is different, so I'm
watching out to go parallel in both books, but I should say that I'm at what have been called Step 2, so my main
concern is to get used to understanding Swedish spoken at a native speed. Therefore, mostly I'm following the
swedish text. I pick up words, nonetheless.

I'm doing all of this as a trial run for my Finnish studies. If everything works well with LR'ing, I'll try to do that
with Finnish too, and that will be a real challenge!
4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version