Joined 4469 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 10
05 April 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
It is an interesting question.

I did quick check using the statistics in Moonreader (the ebook reading program for Android). No idea how accurate this count is, but according the English text and the last time I was checked in my native language (in school, 30 years ago), it seems to be in the correct ballpark.

All of it is in "easy-to-read" script - Latin or Cyrillic.

All reading is "easy" fiction, reading for fun, not looking anything up, not even in pop-up dictionary, simply reading as in my native language:

English - lowest 1100 wpm, highest 1800 wpm (several different books, mostly crime/thrillers/sci-fi)
Russian - 557 wpm (quite easy book, understanding without problems, reading at "slower" speed)
Italian (one of my weakest languages, the book is Pinocchio, reading only for gist and probably depending a lot on guessing of meaning through my other languages) - 640 wpm

Czech and German should be above English (the test in Czech did show something slightly above 2000 wpm, if I remember correctly, and I have the feeling that I got quite a bit faster when needed), French around Italian with much better understanding, Spanish should be somewhere around 300-400 wpm, certainly not more.

When studying (language textbook, reading explanations, grammar books or articles), the speeds are much lower - the speeds show anything from 40 - 140 wpm.

The high speeds are probably not so good for language learning. And with different books, the speeds would go noticeably down.

Edit:
One more point - this all was on my phone and reading on small screen is actually better for higher reading speeds, at least for me - I can set the font size and line width optimal for me. The same is true for e-ink reader I own. I suspect that reading an actual book, although more pleasant, would result in lower speeds simply due to this.

Edited by Majka on 05 April 2013 at 11:11am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4090 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Catalan, French
Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 10 of 10
06 April 2013 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
I'm amazed by the previous reply, 2000 wpm seems absolutely crazy to me. I just made a test reading a tiny text in
English and calculated 450 wpm. Probably I could do more, maybe something like 600 wpm. But I don't feel the
need at all to read faster. Why would I want that? I feel that if I read faster I would be reading just for the sake of it. I
want to think about what I read, otherwise why would I bother to read it?
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version