11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4073 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 1 of 11
03 April 2013 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone tried the Intermediate courses from the 1980s made by the Linguaphone
Institute? How are the courses?

And do you think it's worth me going through given my study plan (for German, French
and Spanish, respectively) already comprises 6, though mostly basic, manuals?

They are:
Assimil
Made Simple
Berlitz self-teacher
Cortina
Colloquial
Passport Practice and Improve

At the moment, I believe the above plan will take me to a soild B2 level, at which time
I should better start reading native texts and literature instead of studying more
manuals.

Thank you.

Edited by Paco on 04 April 2013 at 6:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

Camsbury
Diglot
United States
Joined 4061 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Esperanto

Message 2 of 11
03 April 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Michel Thomas Basic and Advanced will take you from nothing to a good level of confidence
while speaking. Try this to give you motivation to follow through with the others.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4818 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 11
03 April 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
I seriously doubt that doing all those courses will get you anywhere near B2. You will most probably be repeatedly going over basic to low- intermediate material. If you want to go over lots of courses, I would suggest- Pimsleur and Michel Thomas pretty much together, then Assimil, then FSI. That study plan alone could easily take 18 months to 2 years to get through, but you would still probably be just a solid B1, and that's presupposing that you add a lot of other, native materials at the same time.

I really don't think there is such a thing as a course which will take you beyond B1 on its own.

Edit: Sorry to be a killjoy!

Edited by dbag on 03 April 2013 at 9:25pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5361 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 11
03 April 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
I agree with dbag, except I think getting to B1 is probably more difficult with courses
alone. Once you get to A2-B1 the only way up is to use native materials. Its not that
courses aren't any use anymore - they will still give you revision - but just are too
contrived to take you that one step beyond. You'd also be better off studying
something like Assimil for a year and getting the material ingrained than doing lots of
different courses.    

I would recommend making a book of scripts of a programme you like from Hypnoweb.net
and getting it printed by Lulu or someone as a book. Then watch the programme as you
would a dialogue.

As to the Linguaphone intermediate course - its good, I like it. Its all in the target
language, so there is no coasting. Its not worth buying new, but if you can get it on
ebay do so.

All this is my opinion, of course.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4073 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 

Message 5 of 11
05 April 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
I appreciate your comments. They are mostly constructive.

I would like more information about the Intermediate Linguaphone courses. Is it the
continuation of the Beginner's course, with the same bilingual-manual approach? Would
you put it at the exact same level as the Assimil Perfectionnement courses? What are
their main differences?

I am afraid Pimsleur and MT are not the right courses for me, as I am inclined to a
more textually-oriented approach, plus audio support. I have sampled a small range of
courses including those audio methods mentioned above, but I would like more active
control of my learning process.

I look forward to more guidance from you amazing fellow!

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5361 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 11
05 April 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
The Linguaphone Intermediate courses are all in the target language -
although there is a word book to help.

They consist of 60 lessons each containing a dialogue, a grammatical lesson and
exercises. Similar to the beginners courses but without the English coursebook to give
explanations.

They do cover a similar range to the Assimil Perfectionnement series in terms of grammar
- albeit they go into slightly less obscure territory as those manuals sometimes go.

Edited by Elexi on 05 April 2013 at 2:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4073 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 

Message 7 of 11
09 April 2013 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Thank you Elexi. Everything taken into account, I will seriously re-consider the value of
the courses which may be worth me rushing to the library every morning. We'll see.

I am glad that I "discovered" the professor and then this forum, where I really learn a
lot from kind people like you. I think I am done with raising questions - perhaps too
much already, and it's high time to begin my own odyssey and focus on real studies.

Edited by Paco on 09 April 2013 at 6:10am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 8 of 11
09 April 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't buy anything yet! I like to look ahead too, and I keep lists of potential
intermediate and advanced courses. However, it always takes longer to get to the
intermediate stage than I think it will. And, my tastes and studying habits generally
evolve along the way.

It's time to dive in, though! - you've got lots to start with. No one can really say
where the journey will take you.

... but when the time comes, my favorite intermediate French materials were Assimil's
Using French, FSI Volume II (and I still haven't finished that one), lots of parallel
texts, novels by easier authors (Guy de Maupassant, André Gide, Alain-Fournier, Jules
Verne), and bandes dessinées (search through EMK's posts for some good
recommendations).

Edited by kanewai on 09 April 2013 at 7:43am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version