Yufina
Finland
Joined 4723 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 1 of 6
05 April 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking today how I should learn when I'm away from home, if I can't get my book with me. My korean book that I use is huge, bigger than A4 >_<. So it will be bit inconvient to carry it always with me and clumsy to use everywhere.

I have android phone with internet, but not sure if there is any good upper beginner material? I know anki, but that not's option...

Today I was taking picture(s) from my book and that worked, when I was few hour away. But not sure about, if it will be worth of to take dozen pictures for longer trip? Also it was nice to learn language whithout people thinking why I allways carry that super big book(s) with me..
1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4469 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 6
05 April 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
If you can scan your book or part of it, look at the free ebookdroid reader - it is the best for "picture" pdfs I have found for android.

I have scanned all the textbooks I use and have them this way all the time on me but I have the advantage that I can use good office copier for scanning the books quickly.

An alternative is to copy several pages when traveling, instead of taking the book. I did it for years - decrease the size if possible (2 pages to 1). But it can get pricy over the time.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6010 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 3 of 6
05 April 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
If it's your own book, not a library book, why not just take it apart or cut the pages out and carry the pages with you. You can still save the pages in binders for reference later on.

There's no sense carrying around a heavy book just because the publisher bound it that way.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 6
05 April 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Evernote is another nice way to store all your pictures or scans. It makes taking pictures of a page a neater process.

Otherwise, you could send the book to have it scanned for a reasonable price (like 1DollarScan), but you won't get the physical book back...

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4469 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 6
05 April 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Haksaeng wrote:
If it's your own book, not a library book, why not just take it apart or cut the pages out and carry the pages with you.

Sacrilege! Heretic! My inner bookworm is weeping :)

But now seriously. I couldn't bring myself to hurt a book, but I can acknowledge that is a choice for others.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Yufina
Finland
Joined 4723 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 6 of 6
05 April 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Why I haven't found ebookdroid reader before? I have tried many pdf readers for android, but ebookdroid reader is way much better than those others that I have tried.

Same here, I can't hurt my books. Even writing is impossible for me. I like to collect good books :D

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version